Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeoL
Paper Tape
Views: 312
Message 1 of 9

ThinkCentre M92p upgraded PS problem

I got a refurb M92P with (according to the specs) an 80 watt PS (?). To upgrade I thought I'd at least try the Lenovo 240 watt (since the footprint is identical). Anyway, got it, hooked up the 24 to 14 pin adapter cable, and plugged it in. The unit wouldn't boot, kept turning on/off every couple seconds, so I shut it down and replaced the original PS. Anyone heard of that happening? It seems odd that I read of other people hooking up 3rd party PSs with the adapter cable with no problem, yet a Lenovo  made PS does this? Also, I'd hate to buy a 3rd party PS and experience the same thing. At least with the Lenovo PS the vendor accepts returns. Any insights appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 278
Message 2 of 9

Re: ThinkCentre M92p upgraded PS problem

It would help to know what the form factor is, and importantly the model number, of your M92p.  Since you bought a Lenovo supply, why did it not come with the correct 14-pin connector? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
GeoL
Paper Tape
Views: 272
Message 3 of 9

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 261
Message 4 of 9

The model number looks to be '3209' from your sticker, and is a 'SFF'.   You can double check the model number by running a 'sys info' or going into the BIOS setup (repeatedly hit F1 on a restart.)   Unless the TFX size power supply has be replaced by something way less powerful, the factory supplies are 240w (there should be a sticker on the side of the supply with part numbers and the wattage rating.)   What is it that you are trying to accomplish with a stronger supply?  The specs for this system are here:   Detailed specifications - ThinkCentre M92, M92p and M82 (Small Form Factor)

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
GeoL
Paper Tape
Views: 253
Message 5 of 9

I had seen some specs listed that were supposed to be for this PC and it said the PS was 80 watts, but that didn't seem right, which is why I had the question mark in my original post. I want to upgrade the video card which is why I want to upgrade the PS. Sys Info says it's a 3209EK4.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 251
Message 6 of 9

It never would have run with only 80w.  Read the top pinned thread on the GT 1030 as graphics card for a SFF system. 

GeoL
Paper Tape
Views: 241
Message 7 of 9

Yes, I've read that, but it doesn't answer the question about why the PC wouldn't run with the power supply that was installed.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 232
Message 8 of 9

Should have worked.  Could be power supply is faulty, or the adapter cable. 

Edit:  however, I'm only aware of the adapter cable being used with stronger, after-market power supplies. 

GeoL
Paper Tape
Views: 216
Message 9 of 9

I checked with a hardware site, and someone there suggested that the 280 watt with the cable adapter wasn't able to supply enough power to start the machine which is why it was cycling like it was.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors