Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

08-15-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

10 Signins

111 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 111
  • Message 1 of 20

ThinkCentre M93p SFF: connect 4 Monitors to run Google Chrome & TradingView (trade, browser, charts)

2019-08-15, 17:32 PM

I am really struggling finding a solution that doesnt contradict another blogger/vlogger so i am here to ask a few questions that i really need help with!

I have a M93p Desktop (ThinkCentre) - Type 10A8 Core i5 4570 3.2 GHz 8GB RAM on the way and i need to run 4 x Monitors on it, it is only for trading so it will only have google chrome open with 5 - 8 tabs max open nothing else no videos etc so it is the bare minimum i need.

It has 2 x Display ports - 1 VGA - 6 usb 3.0 - 2 usb 2.0

Would i be able to run 4 monitors Using the 2 display ports, the VGA and use a usb 3.0 adapter to display port and have them extended to have 4 different desk tops?

If not, what adapter options do i have? I only need it to run google chrome so not sure i would need a graphics card and trying to keep the costs as low as possible as it is my first trading set up and dont want it to cost a fortune 

If the USB 3.0 wouldnt work as a 4th, could i get a cheap graphics card to run the 4th one using the mother board as the 3 and 4th with the graphics card?

Or would a lenovo dock station work? one of the smaller ones (again to keep costs low)

Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance!

Oh if it makes any difference i have 4 x HPZ24i monitors

Thanks again!

Mod:  edited Subject line to add a detailed problem description

Options

5906 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8544 Signins

140578 Page Views

• Views: 140578
  • Message 2 of 20

Re: HELP REALLY NEEDED - M93p Desktop (ThinkCentre) - Type 10A8 Core i5 4570 3.2 GHz 8GB RAM - 4 Mon

2019-08-15, 19:17 PM

What OS?  What trading platform?  What res. on the monitors? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

11 Posts

08-15-2019

10 Signins

111 Page Views

• Message 3 of 20

Re: HELP REALLY NEEDED - M93p Desktop (ThinkCentre) - Type 10A8 Core i5 4570 3.2 GHz 8GB RAM - 4 Mon

2019-08-15, 22:23 PM

Hey BiggAl, thanks for taking on my thread!

Sorry i should of mentioned its windows 10 pro, platform is just tradingview run through google chrome and the monitors are 1920x1200

Thanks

Options

981 Posts

01-04-2018

United States of America

529 Signins

6741 Page Views

• Views: 6741
  • Message 4 of 20

2019-08-16, 3:36 AM

Check out:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/Multiple-Monitors-On-M93P-SFF-Desktop/td-p/1272301

Most computers can handle 3 monitors at once. I've seen some go through hoops to run 4, but it's a hit or miss from what I've seen.

Options

5906 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8544 Signins

140578 Page Views

• Message 5 of 20

2019-08-16, 4:38 AM

Using a USB video adapter would not be wise, as all the video work is done by the main processor.  Your system, while not doing anything heavy-duty, will doing a lot of average work, and the i5 processor can only work on 4 threads at a time. 

My suggestion is to buy a GT 730 2GB (ver. 2 or 3) off Ebay.UK, they are plentiful and inexpensive.   It must be a low-profile model for your SFF case.  Run 2 monitors off this, and 2 off the internal Intel graphics, buy quality DP adapters if needed (see item 3 of the "Read First" thread.)  Forget using the VGA ports. 

I'm concerned that 8 GB isn't enough.  You need to budget 1 GB for the Intel internal graphics for 2 monitors, and the most you want to normally run the remaining system memory at is 75%, leaving you with 5.25 GB, awfully thin for Win 10 Pro and four monitors of Chrome, most with charts & studies. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

11 Posts

08-15-2019

10 Signins

111 Page Views

• Message 6 of 20

2019-08-16, 13:45 PM

Thank you both for your replies i massively apreciate it, its cleared alot up for me so now i know what needs to be done!

I see the quality of the DP matters so i will get some quality ones for sure

This may be a stupid question, but when you said "Forget using the VGA ports." With the graphics card you suggested i would use DVI and DP and then the 2 DP from my mother board? Just so i can get them ordered this weekend

Also would 8gb not be enough? i was under the impression the RAM was more based on what my usage is on the software rather than output? But if it does affect it, would i be safe in literally running say, 6 google chrome tabs no streaming no videos etc just the charts and using my mac for videos etc if i needed to watch something? Just use the Ram for the screens plus a few tabs i should be ok shouldnt i?

Thanks again for your replies!

Options

5906 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8544 Signins

140578 Page Views

• Message 7 of 20

2019-08-16, 16:56 PM

Most GT 730 will be DVI and HDMI (and VGA), get one of those. 

I was under the impression the RAM was more based on what my usage is on the software rather than output? But if it does affect it, would i be safe in literally running say, 6 google chrome tabs no streaming no videos etc

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you won't have one Chrome window stretched out over four displays.  You'll have four Chrome windows, one on each display, plus any other tabs; each foreground (visible) window requires significantly more memory than a background tab. 

You may not be aware, browser tabs and windows that are in the background, do not have display data continually updated to them; the web session is maintained, but only when you switch to them, does the data become live and continually updating -- which is why you can have 200+ tabs and the system doesn't crash.  There is a cost to having four displays with live data visible and updating in real time, that cost is memory and processor cycles. 

One option: wait on the GT 730; get the system, run it with 3 monitors with the internal graphics, see what the memory and processor utilization is like, and how responsive the system is, then decide on what upgrades would be best (with a lot more information in hand.) 

Options

11 Posts

08-15-2019

10 Signins

111 Page Views

• Message 8 of 20

2019-08-16, 20:22 PM

Yes thats right mate, makes alot more sense like that to be honest i was just thinking of it as 1 google chrome open with multiple tabs

I have all the hardware on the way to me so should be here tuesday/wednesday and will update you on the end result

If worst case it is slow and un responsive, could i get an extra stick of ram and the problem be solved?

I need it all to work and be responsive regardless so just thinking of additional options in case any issues arise

Thanks

Options

5906 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8544 Signins

140578 Page Views

• Message 9 of 20

2019-08-16, 21:56 PM

Yes, adding memory would fix that problem.  In the mean time, to make the system responsive, you can disconnect one or both monitors from the DP ports on the motherboard, this would free the most memory. 

And run Defraggler on the HDD to optimize disk access time. 

Options

11 Posts

08-15-2019

10 Signins

111 Page Views

• Message 10 of 20

2019-08-28, 17:43 PM

Hello, sorry for the slow reply! My graphics card has only just been delivered this morning - not sure why it took so long!!

I have had a play around with it, done the steps that you advised in the BIOS, updated the driver for the graphics card etc etc but i get no signal on any of the 2 monitors that are plugged into the graphics card - The 2 that are from the integrated displayport work perfectly

I have attached an image that shows what i see in the display settings

Any suggestions to how to get them to work like the original 2?

The graphics card is showing as a display adapter on the devices list

I'm not sure whta else i can try, could it be the cables? what are the chances of 2 different cables from different suppliers not working?

Do they have to be a certain cable or certain adapter to work wth NVIDIA grapics cards?

I have DisplayPorts on my Monitors and a HDMI and DVI port on my graphics card, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms