Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vwrafi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,031
Message 11 of 35

Re: Upgrading M93p Tiny Processor

Hello. I bought an used M93p Tiny ( model  10AA0021MN ). When I looked on Lenovo page, I see it was sold with i7-4765T. Mine is i5-4590T. Seller told me, that he changed CPU. So, will my computer work with i7-4785T. It is working fine with i5-4590T which is 2014 CPU instead of i5-4570T and i7-4765T wich are 2013 CPUs.

On the case it is written: MFG Date: 1502, which, I think, is February 2015.

Eutechnyx
Punch Card
Views: 1,000
Message 12 of 35

I think yes, you'll be fine with it.

Back to my post about 4765/4785 differencies, i might be a bit wrong...

A couple of days ago i was preparing my M93p to have a new owner. Soldered mSATA mainboard slot and decided to update the bios. Which killed the tiny (black screen, no boot). After successfull recovering it through jumper + USB image method, i found, as i'm thinking now, the reason of why 4785T didn't run on my system.

Due to terrific lenovo bios utilities, that mostly shows you "secure flash is not supported", "unable to get flash information" etc. errors rather than correctly updating bios firmware, i had a somewhat Frankenstein in my tiny.

If you look at a first bios settings page, you can see there "Bios revision level" and "Boot block revision level". As i know it now, these fields should correspond each other - like FBKTD2AUS bios and FBD2A boot block. Also there is CPU setting page, on the bottom of it you can see the CPU microcode date and version. Currently most recent is 00000025 04/02/2018.

Well, in my case, doing such simple procedure as updating bioses all this time using my M93p and various 2016-2017 bioses (about 5 to 7 times tried during 3 year use period) with these util's usually gave me errors on various stages. So, before I began to figure out what the problem was and learned about the correspondence between the bootloader versions and bios, microcode revisions, mandatory bios updates that can't be jump over without CODE43 devices and so on, i had a FBKTC1A (2016 year) bios with FB34A (no one knows how old is it, i can't even find such bios anywhere) boot block and 00000008 (2013 year) CPU microcode.

Thus i guess it was probably a reason of why i've had a problems with i7-4785T in my system. But  if it is a true reason, i dunno how to explain Q2 2014 i7-4785T was rejected while Q2 2014 Xeon E3-1275L v3 operated without any problems - all this time i was running that mentioned above incorrect mixed bios blocks combo, correctly updated it only a few days ago after reading this thread.

vwrafi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 979
Message 13 of 35

Thank you for your answer, and I am glad, that you are still looking here. I have read a post about upgrading the BIOS step by step ( not to the latest version immediately, but to the first update, than another and so on until we rach the newest ). But will I also need to update EC manually if my Tiny is working now properly? Will I need the changed .exe file for the EC ( if so, where to get it ) if I will update BIOS properly by little steps and not to the latest version immediately?

And I have got another question. Will my i5-4590T be better for gaming than Xeon E3-1275L v3 because it have got better GPU than Xeon? ( I think, that at the moment I can not afford to buy i7 ).

My specs at the moment are:

Bios revision FBKTB6AUS
Boot Block FBB6A
EC FBCT32A

Eutechnyx
Punch Card
Views: 969
Message 14 of 35

Well, lets figure it out.

Download Unigine Heaven, set quality to "medium", all other options to "disabled" and run it full screen at 1600x900 in benchmark [F9] mode, DX11.

Post here score screenshot [F12], \Users\username\Heaven\screenshots. I'll do the same on my Xeon.

You can skip EC updating procedure unless you have some CODE43 devices in your device manager. FBCT32A is the current latest firmware available for it.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 960
Message 15 of 35

Given the large difference in performance of Haswell GT1 vs. GT2, I'm confident that the results will show that the i5 is far better for gaming. 

Which-is-more-important-in-PC-gaming-video-card-or-CPU

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Eutechnyx
Punch Card
Views: 957
Message 16 of 35

These "comparison charts" are nothing but a badly copy-pasted specs guff that have absolutely no correspondence to real status.

BiggAl, you're seriously referencing the data graphs where 0.00 GB/s GT1's is lower than 0.00 GB/s GT2's plus single precision performance differs at 6070%, texel rates at 1443%?

Does any product on the market within same product line, year and manufacturer has such performance percentage difference ever?

vwrafi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 921
Message 17 of 35

Thank you. Will download Unigine Heaven after my SSD arrive ( have got only M93p, i5-4590T, 4GB RAM and no disk drive yet ).

Meantime, are you able to tell me which version of BIOS ( what date ) I have got? Mine is FBKTB6AUS. There is no list of BIOS'es on Lenovo website, and I do not know what is the date of mine and which next I should update.

Eutechnyx
Punch Card
Views: 914
Message 18 of 35

With FBKTB6A you can update directly to FBKTD2A, skipping intermediate versions. Your current bios build date is 17.08.2015.

Here you can find detailed archive with full list of versions, dates and download any of them, not just the most recent.

Waiting for your scores. Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 903
Message 19 of 35

@Eutechnyx wrote:

BiggAl, you're seriously referencing the data graphs where 0.00 GB/s GT1's is lower than 0.00 GB/s GT2's plus single precision performance differs at 6070%, texel rates at 1443%?

My apologies.  You are correct, other benchmarks show the difference as 100 - 110%. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
vwrafi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 883
Message 20 of 35

Thank you, I would never found them by myself. Will go straight to the newest then. Can't wait until my SSD arrive to compare GPU with yours.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors