Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

34 Posts

01-30-2014

Germany

95 Signins

454 Page Views

• Views: 454
  • Message 1 of 14

ThinkCentre M93p not booting with WD MyBook USB 3.0 drive

2014-01-31, 9:48 AM

Hi!

I have a serious problem as boot freezes on my ThinkCentre M93p Tower at the Lenovo logo when the Western Digital MyBook USB 3.0 drive is attached at boot time. I have already commented on this in this thread:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T420-Not-booting-with-3TB-external-USB3-drive-attached/m-p/1419201/highlight/true#M91690

It seems to be an UEFI / BIOS problem and I hope that there will be a resolution soon, as I like the Lenovo ThinkCentres and would like to buy more for our company. This problem seems to be present on Lenovo notebooks and desktops when looking at other posts here.

Regards,

Anguel

Options

34 Posts

01-30-2014

Germany

95 Signins

454 Page Views

• Message 2 of 14

Re: ThinkCentre M93p not booting with WD MyBook USB 3.0 drive

2014-02-04, 10:19 AM

Yesterday I talked to Lenovo's German support (or tried to talk as the support person did not speak well) to ask if I can expect a BIOS update soon from Lenovo to fix all USB problems during boot. They were very unfriendly and told me they had never heard of such problems. So they just wasted my time in reseting the BIOS to factory defaults (without asking me if I was ok to do it). Then they made me install a different startup HDD and reflash an old BIOS. Of course nothing helped.

Looking at the facts after wasting multiple days with the stupid BIOS problems:

1. BIOS hangs at logo when I boot with the WD MyBook attached via USB. The only way to solve the problem is to wipe the drive clean or to make it bootable. Crazy!

2. If I have my external USB Card Reader attached to USB (without the MyBook) , my Win 8 OS needs a long time to restart the PC hanging around about 1 minute on a black screen before BIOS starts booting.

Enough of Lenovo. The hardware is really great but the BIOS/UEFI seems just buggy to me. Now I will have to try my luck with a Dell Optiplex which is more expensive but I hope that it can cope with some USB devices attached during boot...

Anguel

Options

16 Posts

10-26-2011

Canada

240 Signins

425 Page Views

• Views: 425
  • Message 3 of 14

2014-02-07, 16:10 PM

I am having the same problem with a Seagate drive, it is not exclusive to WD.

I am using a Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB 3.0

I also disabled all USB devices from all the boot options.

It does not matter wether it is the usb2 or usb3 ports, or even a hub.

There is a bios update from the 4th of february, but it does not specify if this is fixed.

Options

2659 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11296 Signins

61086 Page Views

• Views: 61086
  • Message 4 of 14

2014-02-07, 21:49 PM

In passing, I mention that my M93p with Windows 7 Pro x64 pre-installed (and which does NOT use UEFI BIOS option) has an external 2TB Verbatim USB 3.0 drive plugged in permanently, and has no problem at all booting problem-free with the external USB drive always connected.

(1) non-UEFI mode BIOS.

(2) Windows 7 Pro x64 rather than Windows 8.1.

(3) MBR external USB 3.0 drive as the drive is only 2GB, not GPT which would be required if the drive were larger than 2GB.

Options

34 Posts

01-30-2014

Germany

95 Signins

454 Page Views

• Message 5 of 14

2014-02-07, 23:22 PM
PeaB0dy, many thanks for the feedback! Will check the new bios asap. Looks like UEFI is trying to find something on the drives while booting and hangs there.

There were reports that similar UEFI bugs kill Thinkpads when atempting to install Linux or simply booting with a USB drive that confuses Lenovo's UEFI.

DSperber, thank you also for the feedback, I think this may be a UEFI / Win 8 only bug. I have another HDD with Win 7, will check again if it works when I disable UEFI.
Options

16 Posts

10-26-2011

Canada

240 Signins

425 Page Views

• Views: 425
  • Message 6 of 14

2014-02-09, 0:45 AM

So here it the thing...

The machine is using Win 7 X64, and EUFI is diabled in the bios.

I have not seen what partition type is on the drive, when I get to my clients tomorrow I will..

Partition type should make absolutely no difference..

I recall back in the IBM days with the thinkpad A series, there was an issue with BSD partitions.  IBM gave the same partition code for hybernate with it's power management software as BSD so the BIOS would be confused.

Options

2659 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11296 Signins

61086 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2014-02-09, 0:58 AM

wrote:

So here it the thing...

The machine is using Win 7 X64, and EUFI is diabled in the bios.

I have not seen what partition type is on the drive, when I get to my clients tomorrow I will..

Partition type should make absolutely no difference.

NOTE: A drive larger than 2TB cannot use MBR.  It MUST use GPT, even if partitions on the drive have been carved out to be 2TB or smaller.  So your 4TB Seagate drive MUST be GPT

Since your BIOS is not UEFI, and since you're using Win7, I would suspect that the 4TB drive and its GPT structure is what's problematic to the Lenovo BIOS.

For an experiment you should try an alternative external drive that is 2TB or smaller, formatted using MBR. As I posted earlier, that is EXACTLY what I have with my Verbatim 2TB external USB 3.0 drive, along with Win7 and non-UEFI BIOS in my own M93p.  And there is NO problem leaving the external drive permanently on and connected across re-boot.

Options

34 Posts

01-30-2014

Germany

95 Signins

454 Page Views

• Message 8 of 14

2014-02-10, 9:31 AM

So I tried the latest BIOS - no change at all - problem remains the same!

I tried this with two different WD Mybook 3 TB drives, both with latest firmware:

Tests with disk 1:

GPT -> PC does not boot when disk is attached

MBR with 2 TB partition -> PC does not boot when disk is attached

Tests with disk 2:

MBR with 3 TB partition (no idea how WD formats that but it offers the full 3 TB in one partition) -> Lenovo Backup & Recovery sotware was used on that disk and has created some UEFI boot files on that disk and for some reason that allows the stupid PC to boot without freezing! So it seems that the Lenovo BIOS checks something on the disk before boot.

I dont' understand why these guys at Lenovo don't simply add a "Allow / Disallow boot from USB" option to their buggy BIOS to allow the PC to boot with any USB attached...

UPDATE: Now I additionally experience USB drive disconnects (after every couple of minutes) in Windows 8.1 .. this might be related to the latest BIOS update.

Anguel

Options

4 Posts

02-14-2015

Australia

3 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 9 of 14

2015-02-14, 0:31 AM

This bug has been driving me mad since I received my P900 Thinkstation - as PeaB0dy notes, the hardware is great but the software (pretty much in general) is really disappointing.  The bios works with my WD 2TB drive attached, but not my 4TB drive.  When the 4TB drive is attached, the boot fails, and the system starts searching for problems.  I have consequently taken to disconnecting my 4TB drive whenever I shutdown, which is a real pain, as I use the 4TB drive as my chief backup, and sometimes forget to reconnect it so that my scheduled backup (through Acronis) sometimes fails.  That such a huge company should fail on such a basic issue is difficult to comprehend...

Options

2659 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11296 Signins

61086 Page Views

• Message 10 of 14

2015-02-14, 5:26 AM

wrote:

This bug has been driving me mad since I received my P900 Thinkstation - as PeaB0dy notes, the hardware is great but the software (pretty much in general) is really disappointing.

Have you actually opened a support ticket with Lenovo?

I had a problem with my M93p SFF relating to an older external USB drive from Seagate, and an apparent incompatibility with management of the drive across soft reboots.  I opened a support ticket and got superb results from Lenovo engineering over the next few months.  I sent them the drive to have (as I had no use for it, replacing it with a new Verbatim USB drive which was fully 100% compatible with the machine and saw none of the problems I saw with the Seagate drive).

The eventual outcome was a public fix in a new version of the BIOS to handle the unique characteristics of the Seagate drive.

So, have you actually opened a ticket with Lenovo? They need to have something official to start from when new problems are discovered.  The M93 machines are "new", so issues of compatibility is not a surprise to me.  Especially when UEFI, GPT, large drives >2GB, and Windows 8 are concerned.

[I'm still staying with Win7 Pro x64 for now.]

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms