Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
f1kidd
Paper Tape
Views: 6,024
Message 1 of 7

ThinkCentre: Stuck at Lenovo splash screen after lenovo solution bios upgrade

Hey folks,

Got an M93 with Win 10. Lenovo solution center asks to do upgrades on BIOS and a bunch of drivers. Did that, and now I can't boot the computer. 

Tried pressing F1 after pressing start button, no help. Can't enter BIOS, still stuck at lenovo screen. Also tried Ctrl+Alt+Del on that screen, blacks out then stuck at lenovo screen again. 

Please help and inform, thanks!!!

James

Mod:  edit Subject line with system type
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,941
Message 2 of 7

Re: Stuck at Lenovo splash screen after lenovo solution bios upgrade

I would try resetting the BIOS using the jumper, or by taking out the CMOS battery, wait a minute or two, and then replace it and try booting up.

See page 73 of the Hardware Maintenance Manaul linked below for location of the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper (# 20)

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/m83m93p_hmm.pdf

Clearing the CMOS (BIOS)

1. Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the computer. Then, disconnect all power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the computer.

2. Remove the computer cover.

3. Locate the Clear CMOS /Recovery jumper on the system board.

4. Move the jumper from the standard position (pin 1 and pin 2) to the maintenance position (pin 2 and pin 3).

5. Reinstall the computer cover and connect the power cord.

6. Turn on the computer and leave it on for approximately 10 seconds. Then, turn off the computer by holding the power switch for approximately five seconds.

7. Repeat step 1 through step 2.

8. Move the Clear CMOS /Recovery jumper back to the standard position (pin 1 and pin 2).

9. Reinstall the computer cover and connect the power cord.

Good Luck,

f1kidd
Paper Tape
Views: 5,905
Message 3 of 7

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!!!

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work after resetting BIOS per your suggestion for several times. Still lenovo screen forever after reset. 

Also tried to update BIOS driver using a USB drive (pp. 290 of the manual, driver downloaded here). The computer keeps beeping every 3 seconds (as oppose to one beep if just resets BIOS).  No screen output. After setting BIOS pin back to normal, lenovo splash continues. 

Please advice on any other solution that you may have!! Thanks a lot!!!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,894
Message 4 of 7

Does it have a DVD drive?   Or can you get access to a USB connected CD/DVD?   And burn a CD with the CD ISO file. 

f1kidd
Paper Tape
Views: 5,900
Message 5 of 7

Tried again with USB, this time it works!!!!

Used the wrong BIOS update file in the last post. Should be using the USB Drive UEFI BIOS Flash Package (link to zip here). After that, everything gets pretty easy. Steps below:

Updating the CMOS (BIOS)

0. Download the USB Drive BIOS package. Copy that into an empty USB flash drive. 

1. Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the computer. Then, disconnect all power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the computer.

2. Remove the computer cover.

3. Locate the Clear CMOS /Recovery jumper on the system board.

4. Move the jumper from the standard position (pin 1 and pin 2) to the maintenance position (pin 2 and pin 3).

5. Reinstall the computer cover and connect the power cord.

5.5 Plug in the USB BIOS update.  (The computer reads from USB and updates the corrupted BIOS). 

6. Turn on the computer and leave it on for approximately 10 seconds. May hear several beeps. Screen shows BIOS updated. Then computer will automatically shut down. 

7. Repeat step 1 through step 2.

8. Move the Clear CMOS /Recovery jumper back to the standard position (pin 1 and pin 2).

9. Reinstall the computer cover and connect the power cord.

f1kidd
Paper Tape
Views: 5,885
Message 6 of 7

My particular computer doesn't have a CD-ROM, but I guess it should work too!! Thanks for the suggestion!!!!

huskytrax
What's DOS?
Views: 2,489
Message 7 of 7

I too am having a similar problem, I am trying the solution described however all i get is a repeat of two short beeps and it goes on like this forever and no input to the screen. HELP

Top Kudoed Authors