cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rook1
Not applicable
Views: 1,655
Message 1 of 14

ThinkCentre: which version Gt 730, 2560 x 1440 required (Lenovo Edge 72, 3484, 180w)

Hi All,

I have a query and would very much appreciate some advice.

I am using a Lenovo Edge 72 Desktop (Thinkcentre) Type 3484 Model 3484JEG running Windows 7 64bit pro. The original graphics card has a max resolution of 1920x1080 but I would now like to run a monitor with a resolution of 2560x1440.

Could anyone please recommend a compatible graphics card that can output with that specific resolution?

The following card can work with that resolution but I have no way of knowing if it is compatible with the pc?

https://www.custompcparts.ie/video/graphics-cards/gigabyte-gv-n730-2gi-geforce-gt-730-2gb-gddr3.irel...

Thanks in advance for your help..

Mod:  edited Subject line with detailed problem description

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 1,634
Message 2 of 14

Re: Lenovo Edge 72 Desktop Graphics Card Upgrade - Help Please!

What is it that you're wanting to do with the hi-res monitor? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
rook1
Not applicable
Views: 1,619
Message 3 of 14

Hi BiggAl,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to run a graphics package for my work. It is a very basic program but it runs on a clients pc at a resolution of 2560x1440 and I need to work with the same package on my home pc and transfer files between the two. So the card would not have to work hard but be capable of outputting images at the above resolution,

I hope that makes sense!

rook1
Not applicable
Views: 1,616
Message 4 of 14

Btw, I should have said that as my home monitor is a Samsung S22B150 I would be using just the vga port on the upgrade graphics card(or use dvi to vga adaptor). The reason I am especially interested in the graphics card linked above is that it is in use in the clients system at 2560x1440 and importantly, it is available for local pick-up and I'm under some time pressure(it would be great if I didn't have to seek out a different psu also). Oh, and no plans for gaming..

According to the Lenovo website, the PC has a 180w psu installed, but the Gigabyte card apparently requires a 300w supply. However, the clients PC also has a 180w psu..

Thanks again

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 1,597
Message 5 of 14

That helps.   Yes, the Gt 730 does work with your system, however that particular Gigabyte (Gt 730 version 1) card should not be used with your 180w system.  

Very confusingly, there are 3 versions of the Gt 730 card, version 1 uses an older chipset and is a 49w card, version 2 & 3 uses a newer chipset and uses 23 - 25w.  Version 3 uses DDR5 memory, which is considerably faster than the prior versions with DDR3.   You can tell a version 1 card by the lower core clock speed of 700 MHz vs. 902 of versions 2 & 3. 

Are you sure about the VGA port being used and the resolution?   Because according to the specs for that Gigabyte card, the max analog resolution is 2048 x 1536 (which is the same for all Gt 730 cards.)  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
rook1
Not applicable
Views: 1,588
Message 6 of 14

Hi BiggAl,

I only now see the contradiction you pointed out regarding the maximum analog resolution. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm the resolution the system is actually using until Monday morning but will update the thread then. It's surely obvious that I have virtually zero knowledge of graphic card upgrades so I appreciate you taking the time to look at the query.

Are these versions 2 and 3 respectively?

http://computerstoredirect.ie/gigabyte-gv-n730d3-2gi-geforce-gt-730-2gb-gddr3-graphics-card.html

http://computerstoredirect.ie/gigabyte-gv-n730d5-2gi-geforce-gt-730-2gb-gddr5.html

Have a good weekend! 

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 1,585
Message 7 of 14

Are these versions 2 and 3 respectively?

http://computerstoredirect.ie/gigabyte-gv-n730d3-2gi-geforce-gt-730-2gb-gddr3-graphics-card.html

http://computerstoredirect.ie/gigabyte-gv-n730d5-2gi-geforce-gt-730-2gb-gddr5.html

Correct.  

rook1
Not applicable
Views: 1,578
Message 8 of 14

Thanks

rook1
Not applicable
Views: 1,546
Message 9 of 14

Hi BiggAl,

Apparently, the system is running at 2560x1440 resolution but using the DVI-D port on the monitor. My home monitor has just a VGA port but maybe a DVI-D to VGA might work ?

Apologies for the thread dragging on..

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 1,271
Message 10 of 14

Apparently, the system is running at 2560x1440 resolution but using the DVI-D port on the monitor. My home monitor has just a VGA port but maybe a DVI-D to VGA might work ?

DVI-D is digital only, and res above 1920 × 1200 requires Dual link DVI (adding six additional pins (located in the center of the connector) for a second transmitter increasing the bandwidth and supporting resolutions up to 2560 × 1600 at 60 Hz.)

DVI-I supports both digital and analog.  It's not clear what the max analog res would be, but I doubt that it will be higher than the actual VGA port. 

My home monitor has just a VGA port

Edit:   Max res of your Samsung S22B150 monitor with VGA only is 1920 x 1080. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors