cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NoahDaGuuf
What's DOS?
Views: 179
Message 1 of 4

ThinkCentre with Intel graphics: How to increase VRAM? Games won't open (video memory, dedicated)

I have a ThinkCentre M81 with a Intel core i3 2120 which comes with intel HD 2000 I have 128mb of VRAM which is horrible I can’t even open games, it just says I need to get better graphics, how do I increase my vram, plz help 

Mod:  Edited Subject line to add system type and graphics processor type

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 157
Message 2 of 4

Re: Increase VRAM

You don't actually have any VRAM, the 128MB is a fictitious value set by Windows to fool very old games, and is ignored by newer games entirely.     The integrated Intel Graphics shares system RAM, and with the Intel® HD Graphics 2000 the maximum shared system RAM that it can use is 1792 MB.

Your best bet if you want to play newer games would be to upgrade your video card.     You don't mention what model (MTM) of the M81 you have, but some came with a 240W power supply (PSU) and the many of the towers had a 280W.      The Intel core i3 2120's max power consumption is 65W, and the GTX 1050 max power usage is 75W, so that leaves 100 watts left to power the rest of the system with the 240W PSU, which should be enough to run the rest of the system.       I can personally confirm that a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti will run just fine on the 280W PSU.

Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Graphics Memory on Windows® 10

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020962/graphics-drivers.html

Best of luck,

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 122
Message 3 of 4

This is a pretty good explaination:  Does the Intel(R) HD Graphics 2000 automatically use more RAM as required?

Also, be aware that beyond adding a graphics card, some newer games require 8 GB of system memory.  And while the FAQ link above are for Windows 10, this is not an endorsement for running Win 10 on this system, as the Intel 'Sandy Bridge' processor and Chipset are not supported for Win 10. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 97
Message 4 of 4

Further, GPU-Z is a downloadable tool that can be used to monitor graphics processor and memory utilization.  I ran it in the background all this morning while I did my usual web browsing (some videos), no gaming.  I have Intel HD 4400 graphics, with the dedicated video memory set for 256 MB in the BIOS, and as you can see, it had dynamically allocated over 1 GB at somepoint (currently using 334 MB; I have 8 GB total system memory, so I have plenty available): 

f-gpu-z hd memory.JPG

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors