Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

10-13-2021

Chile

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 4

M71e: Power for graphics card & Xeon upgrade

2021-10-13, 19:41 PM

Well, I have this computer, a Lenovo thinkcentre M71e, I bought it here in my country. It came with an Intel pentium G630 processor. 

I already bought the upgrades for it, I have a Xeon e3 1270 v1 processor, and a NVIDIA 210 video card, BUT, the problem I have is that I have seen in the box of the video card that says that it needs a minimum power supply of 350 Watts to work.

The lenovo thinkcentre M71E, comes with a power supply of 250Watts LITEON brand, and I want to know if there will be a problem if I connect this NVIDIA card and the processor that consumes 80W in my lenovo, thanks.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Options

6051 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

959 Signins

30644 Page Views

• Views: 30644
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Thinkcentre M71E (Power Supply) video board and processor upgrade

2021-10-13, 22:04 PM

Hello felipeunderx!

Greetings!

It will either work with low performance or may not be able to power at all.

But we suggest you upgrade the computer using the listed compatible parts under this link: https://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/partslookup#/

Provide the MTM or the serial number and filter the commodity type.

Anything that is not listed under this is something we can not guarantee its compatibility.

Regards

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

5756 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8486 Signins

138863 Page Views

• Views: 138863
  • Message 3 of 4

Re:Thinkcentre M71E (Power Supply) video board and processor upgrade

2021-10-14, 13:41 PM

@ felipeunderx wrote:

I have a Xeon e3 1270 v1 processor, and a NVIDIA 210 video card, BUT, the problem I have is that I have seen in the box of the video card that says that it needs a minimum power supply of 350 Watts to work.

It's fine, Geforce 210 is only a 30w card, the system is designed to accommodate that, with the 95w i7-2600 it could come with from the factory.  The Nvidia recommendation is to accommodate systems with a worst case power consumption, ie.  120w processor, hi-power sound card, 4 hard drives, and so on.  My bigger concern would be whether the Xeon processor will be recognized, as this system never sold with a Xeon. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

3 Posts

10-13-2021

Chile

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 4 of 4

Re:M71e: Power for graphics card & processor upgrade

2021-10-14, 15:17 PM

Thanks. Well, it turns out that I plugged in the Xeon and the video card and it worked. The problem is that I had the doubt if there were going to be problems with the 250W source being of lower power and I went back to the intel pentium processor. It turns out that I received the answer and when I realized that it was going to work, I connected again the Xeon and the nvidia card to the thinkcentre pc, and it did not turn on, I checked the connections, and I tried to turn it on and it started to smell like burnt cable, and it turns out that the power connection cable that is plugged into the current in a part began to melt and a spark jumped or came out, and smoke came out. 

The only thing I did was to disconnect the video card and the Xeon e3 1270 processor, and I went back to the previous processor and changed the power cable, and it turned on, the truth is I do not know what to think if it is a problem of the plugs in my house or the pc.

Yes, it recognizes the Xeon processor without any problem. But this other problem happened with the short circuit in the power cable of the lenovo, which takes away my hopes that it will work with some problem in between. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)