Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lironh
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,740
Message 1 of 10

Thinkcentre M82 - M93p: replace a power supply in a tower case

hi, I see inside my pc that all the plugs are connected directly to the motherboard and not  to the power supply except the 4pin and 14 pin. so i'm asking if I plug a modular power supply to the pc will I have to plug only the the 4 and 14 pin (with a 24 to 14 pin adapter of course) ? leave all the rest as it is? beacause I thought all the drives get their power from the power supply directly and not through the motherboard. will appreciate any help.

Mod:  edited the Subject line expand the scope of solution

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,700
Message 2 of 10

Re: replace a power supply in m93p tower case

A replacement power supply will have cables with SATA power connectors, I suggest you use those.  

(My new favorite value PSU maker is EVGA, I suggest you take a look at those semi-modular.) 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
lironh
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,677
Message 3 of 10

Ok a few questions,
1. why are the sata plugged to the motherboard and not to the power supply?
2. Thecnicly can I leave it as it is? Besides the 24/14pins plugs?

3. Is that good power supply : https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N3OAFHD/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1#

Thanks for the reply
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,672
Message 4 of 10

1. No idea    2. Yes   3. Yes.  At that price point, the best.   The previous value supply I've used is the Corsair CX Modular series, which has a better warranty, but a bit higher in price.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
lironh
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,668
Message 5 of 10

Ok thanks!
SeniorGuru
Views: 5,635
Message 6 of 10

@lironh wrote:
Ok a few questions,
1. why are the sata plugged to the motherboard and not to the power supply?

I'm not sure I follow.  I have built (i.e. customized) five separate M93p machines (two towers, and three SFF), involving adding Samsung 850 Pro SSD as second SATA3 drives in three of the five machines.  The Win7 system was then cloned from factory HDD spinner over to the SSD (using Macrium Reflect), and the original HDD spinner retained and re-purposed as a second "data" drive.

None of these upgrades required changing the PSU, because I also used a low-power graphics card in all five.  The SFF machines got an AMD R7-250 and the tower machines got an EVGA GTX 750ti SC, both cards not needing any additional PCIe power from the PSU.

Adding the second SSD drives involved connecting a SATA "data cable" from the data connector on the back of the drive, to an available SATA "controller" socket on the motherboard.  The PSU had extra SATA "power" connectors on the folded up cables inside the chassis area where the cables are tucked near the PSU, so I only had to unfold one of these and then connect the open power connector to the power connector on the back of the drive (right next to the data connector).

This is how all SATA drives work (no matter motherboard or drive manufacturer): (a) data cable from the drive's data connector to an open SATA connector on the motherboard, and (b) power cable  from the drive's power connector to an available power connector from some power cable coming from the PSU.

I can't believe you don't also have the drive connected to the PSU for power, in addition to having a data cable going from the drive to a controller socket on themotherboard.  It's impossible for the drive to work without power from the PSU.  The motherboard doesn't provide power to the drive, it only "controls" through the data cable.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,629
Message 7 of 10

@lironh wrote:

hi, I see inside my pc that all the plugs are connected directly to the motherboard and not  to the power supply except the 4pin and 14 pin.

Photo can help.  You can import them directly into a post using the 'Photos' button above. 

lironh
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,611
Message 8 of 10

But When I took the PSU out only the 14 and 4 pin plugs were connected to it, all the rest are connected to the motherboard.
I will upload some picrures later today.
lironh
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,565
Message 9 of 10

IMG-20170228-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20170228-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20170228-WA0012.jpg

As you can see only two plugs are connected from the psu to the motherboard and the rest are connected from the motherboard to the drivers

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,550
Message 10 of 10

Thank you.  The power cable arrangement is the same as my M73, and my above answers remain the same, although I did not know you had 2 hard drives.  The reason I recommend using the SATA power cables that come with the new supply, is that leaving it the way it now is, the power for those drives will needlessly go through connectors on the way to the drives, putting more load on them for no reason.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors