Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmelo35
Paper Tape
Views: 3,179
Message 1 of 10

Thinkcentre M900 SFF M.2 Slot

Is it phisically impossible to install an M.2 SATA 2280 drive in this model as stated in the hardware manual,  or is it me?

There are connectors at the bottom of the motherboard blocking the way for installation.

Can anyone confirm this, please?

Thank you.

PS - I'm not interested in adding a riser card/adapter, I would just like to make use of the built-in M.2 SATA slot.

Highlighted
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,147
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkcentre M900 SFF M.2 Slot

Lenovo service training fails to show this feature(m2.2280).

https://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/showcase?sid=1199&key=TGVuZw==

It does show primary and secondary internal storage drives. Secondary internal storage is additional cage+ parts.   

Your parts are here. Adjust to 10FG or 10FH.

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre-m-series-desktops/th...

I would expect m2.2280 to be in the parts list(1000+parts).

It is there. M2.2280 . 00JT008. 128GB and other sizes.

PSREF states it is possible:

http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkCentre_M900_SFF 

[Edit]

See post below. I did see the m.2 slot in HMM. This appears to be used for a m.2 WWan card -or- a m2.2280 using a Startech M.2 adapter[or similar adapter].

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,117
Message 3 of 10

From the HMM, I don't get the impression that the machine actually supports an M.2 2280 NVMe card in its M.2 slot. I get the impression that the M.2 slot is designed to allow for the addition of a fourth PCI expansion slot to be added to the motherboard, adding to the three existing PCIe expansion slots already built onto the motherboard.

Here is what the motherboard looks like.

M900_motherboard.jpg

Note that 20 identifies the M.2 socket (which is aligned vertically, meaning any M.2 card inserted into the socket would be horizontal, i.e. left to right.  There is nothing on the motherboard to its left except for open space, and I believe from the HMM instructions for "replacing the PCI Adapter card" on pages 125-126 that they're describing a configuration situation where the M.2 socket actually is populated with a fourth PCIe expansion slot.

M900_M.2-PCI-adaptor.jpg

This picture shows FOUR PCIe expansion slots, not the standard THREE.  And that fourth one is making use of the M.2 PCIe socket, which is now used for a "PCI adapter card expansion slot" accessory (separately purchased), secured to the motherboard with three screws and with its connector end inserted into the M.2 socket on the motherboard.

So if you're wanting to use this M.2 socket for a 2280 M.2 card, I think you're out of luck.  I believe that's not what this M.2 socket is for.  In other words the M900 doesn't have built-in support for an M.2 2280 NVMe drive.

I believe the only way to use a 2280 M.2 card in the M900 is to buy an PCIe x4 -> NVMe expansion card like this one from Star Tech, which fits into the second x4/x8-negotiable PCIe expansion slot.  You slide your 2280 M.2 drive card into the M.2 socket on this expansion card and you now have full NVMe support for this M.2 2280 storage drive.

Note that Lenovo has revised this with the newer M910 motherboards (for both SFF and tower).  They now truly have two horizontal M.2 sockets in the lower-right corner of the motherboard, so that M.2 cards inserted would point "south" (actually going off the motherboard).  One M.2 socket is for a storage drive, and the other M.2 socket is for a WWAN card.  Lenovo offers an optional plastic M.2 mounting adaptor bracket (M.2 SSD kit accessory) that snaps onto the metal chassis just at that corner of the motherboard, where the bracket has two M.2 card support slots to hold the off-board projections of the M.2 cards inserted into the M.2 sockets, and the kit also provides two push-in fastening screws to hold down the bottom end of these two cards to the plastic support bracket.

M910_M.2-slots.jpg

But on the M900 motherboard, there is no inherent M.2 drive socket.

tmelo35
Paper Tape
Views: 3,091
Message 4 of 10

Thank you so much for taking the time to research and explaining all this to me.

To bad the M.2 to PCI adapter can't be found anywhere.

I might just buy the adapter you sugested.

Once again, Thank you. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,082
Message 5 of 10

I think this card might be the type of item being described, as a new 4th x1/x4 PCIe expansion slot which slides into that M.2 socket on the M900 motherboard and fastens down to the motherboard with screws.M.2-PCIe-expansion-slot.jpg

It looks like the card also needs extra power (to the Molex connector), I guess because the PCIe bus is supposed to be able to provide up to 75W of power to an installed PCIe card (e.g. a graphics card).  I suppose the M.2 connector doesn't support delivering power to this card, even though I believe it is on the PCIe bus itself.  The package for this card includes a Molex power adapter cable.

This is like installing a typical PCI -> USB 3.0 add-on expansion card (to add USB 3.0 to an older machine with PCI expansion slots which only has USB 2.0) which also uses a Molex or SATA power connector, since USB 3.0 ports have to be able to provide extra power to all connected USB 3.0 devices and the PCI bus doesn't provide enough power.

tmelo35
Paper Tape
Views: 3,068
Message 6 of 10

I did look at that adapter at the auction site but I don't believe it would fit width wise. The Parralel (I believe it is) and Serial connectors at the bottom of the motherboard would be in the way.

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,060
Message 7 of 10

And even if it did fit, are there really enough do-it-yourself situations where a fourth expansion slot would be needed by customers, sufficiently demanded so that a motherboard design would need to be invented that had such an M.2 connector on it?  Really? That would be more useful and usable to more users than having an actual M.2 storage drive slot for a real 2280 card???

Can't imagine what they were thinking, designing this M.2 connector on the motherboard that potentially facilitates optionally adding an add-on buy-it-yourself-somewhere-else  (because we don't sell it either) rarely needed fourth expansion slot, rather than just offering a motherboard that actually has four expansion slots already built on it!!

In the meantime, it was a real M.2 storage drive slot for a 2280 card that is missing from the M900.  But again, they have now fixed that with the new M910 motherboard layout.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,049
Message 8 of 10

Additional comments [probably still confusing to all]:

psref states:

Some: M.2 SSD, PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x4, 32Gb/s

Is this stating 2 items?  It should say?:

Some: M.2 SSD 6Gb/s, PCIe NVMe PCIe 3.0 x 4 32Gb/s

(1)part 00JT008 dba Samsung Mz-NLN1280/SSD0E97938 is a msata SSD (NGFF).

6 GB/s

Only place I think it could fit is in the HDD/SDD area, slot 1 or OPTIONAL cage HDD/SSD area slot 2.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/samsung-lenovo-mz-nln1280-ssd0e97938-fru-00jt008-128gb-msata-solid-state-dr...

(2) PCie nvme, pcie 3.0 x4, 32GB/s

Only place I think it could fit is in the WWAN slot/area with adapter(????).

As time permits, I will go back thru the parts list to find TWO different attributes M2.2280 offerings.   I stopped at 00JT008 last time in parts.

If 2 different items, @Tmelo35, @DSperber and I are headed in the same direction.

jskeen
What's DOS?
Views: 1,968
Message 9 of 10

This link should help with the correct PCI adapter for the M2 slot. 

https://encompass.com/item/10691665/Lenovo/00XG124/

00XG124 Ci Cards Misc Internal

Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 1,943
Message 10 of 10

To use NVMe M.2 2280 in M900 you must have PCIe to M.2 NVMe adapter, such as Lenovo PCIeX4 to M.2 SSD riser card HP 00XG017.

PS M.2 SSD, PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x4, 32Gb/s is 1 item
= M.2 SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 (32Gb/s)
Why 6Gb/s? It would be so only if SATA, but clearly is not.

Disclaimer: I am not Lenovo employee. While I do work for Lenovo Partner, all my contributions are my personal, non-official and not that of Lenovo or my employer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors