Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ave
Paper Tape
Views: 2,256
Message 1 of 8

Thinkcentre M92 power supplies

Good day to all.

I own a PC Lenovo Thinkcentre M92 (I7 processor). Blender use of Linux and would like to install a graphics card Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 but I think the original power supply is not sufficient. Power supplies Corsair RM Series or Seasonic S12G, can be installed in this PC? My doubt is that this PC it is not a normal assembled, I would not want that in the bios had been added some mechanism that checks whether the components are original and otherwise prevent the computer starts.

Is there anyone who has already installed these power supplies in a Lenovo M92 or has experiences about?

Thank you

P.S. Sorry for my bad english (Googl translated)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,253
Message 2 of 8

Re: Thinkcentre M92 power supplies

Providing you have a tower model, it is possible to upgrade the power supply with an adapter cable, please search this forum for more information.

GTX 970 may not be recognized by the BIOS, 960 might work, check the read me file for the Nvidia graphics driver on the  Lenovo support website for your model, the 750 Ti will definitely work.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
BorjaGiro
Paper Tape
Views: 2,215
Message 3 of 8

Ave
Paper Tape
Views: 2,188
Message 4 of 8

Tanks to all
Ave
Paper Tape
Views: 2,184
Message 5 of 8

Good day to all. In my opening message I say that I own a PC Lenovo M92P (M2992 processor I7) Now I would like to install a graphics card Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970. Having clarified the fact that I can change the power supply with this adapter: "http://www.moddiy.com/products/IBM-Lenovo-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-14%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-%283... I ask: 1) The power supply Seasonic Platinum-760 (SS-760XP2 Active PFC F3) is compatible with the PC Lenovo Thinkcentre M92P (size and voltage outputs); there is someone who has already assembled? 2) The graphics card Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 is recognized by the BIOS of the PC Lenovo M92P; there are drivers for Linux (Debian, Ubuntu and compatible distros)? Is there anyone who has already installed these components in a Lenovo Thinkcentre M92P or has experiences about? Thank you, Ave.
BorjaGiro
Paper Tape
Views: 2,177
Message 6 of 8

i don't know, but read the topic i link

@Ave wrote:
Good day to all. In my opening message I say that I own a PC Lenovo M92P (M2992 processor I7) Now I would like to install a graphics card Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970. Having clarified the fact that I can change the power supply with this adapter: "http://www.moddiy.com/products/IBM-Lenovo-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-14%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-%283... I ask: 1) The power supply Seasonic Platinum-760 (SS-760XP2 Active PFC F3) is compatible with the PC Lenovo Thinkcentre M92P (size and voltage outputs); there is someone who has already assembled? 2) The graphics card Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 is recognized by the BIOS of the PC Lenovo M92P; there are drivers for Linux (Debian, Ubuntu and compatible distros)? Is there anyone who has already installed these components in a Lenovo Thinkcentre M92P or has experiences about? Thank you, Ave.

before. some people use the adapter with a 600W font. i don't remember what font.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,170
Message 7 of 8

1) The SS-760XP2 will work, very well, an excellent psu.

2) GTX 970: nobody knows. The readme file for the driver says it's supported, but that doesn't equal BIOS support, and there's considerable physical challenges: 1. Has to be short enough to fit. 2. Cooling. The case and fans are designed for a 60w graphics card, you want to use a 145w card. (hold your hand above a 60w bulb, then a 150w, that's the difference) If it is recognized by the bios, I would install the optional front fan, and ventilated PCI slot covers. And that may not be enough. ThinkCentres are business systems, not gaming.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkcentre_drivers/g3vdo18us14.txt

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,161
Message 8 of 8

May I suggest an alternative?   Save the money from upgrading to a quality power 760w supply and a high-end graphics card for your next system.   And install a full-height GTX 750 Ti (but must be stort enough to fit) in this system, it must not need an additional PCIe power connector (since the stock psu has none), and keep for as long as it makes sense.  It will work well with the stock power supply and cooling.  

This card, with a 20% overclock, or similar:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133530

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors