Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PsychoSam
What's DOS?
Views: 145
Message 1 of 4

Thinkcentre edge 71 pci-e slot, watt for graphic card

My small kids have a lenovo thinkcentre edge 71 to play some easy games on. Machine type 1578.

Now I need to upgrade the graphic card with a Geforce GTX 1050 low profile. Is it possible to run it with this computer with the 180W power supply? Or do I need a bigger for example 250W? I have upgrade the memory to maximum of 8Gb.

Next question. The pci-e slot on the motherboard. Can it deliver full power of 75W to the graphic card?

See pictures for full information about the computer.

Thank you for your help!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 114
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkcentre edge 71 pci-e slot, watt for graphic card

See this thread on upgrading the (TFX) power supply, I recommend getting one that's semi or full modular, as it reduces the amount of unused cables inside the case.  And the single-fan Gigabyte low-profile GTX 1050 & Ti  are popular here for the short length and not requiring 6-pin PCIe power.  The Zotac card is 7 mm shorter, but may be harder to source.

New-Power-Supply-Unit-for-Edge72-3493-Small-Form-Factor-cabinet

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
PsychoSam
What's DOS?
Views: 94
Message 3 of 4

Thanks. I will take a closer look on a new TFX power supply. 

Can I somehow find out how mutch Watt the pci-e slot gives? I have heard some motherboards only can give 50Watt to the pci-e slot. At least I will need full supply of 75Watt with a GTX 1050 or I'm wrong about this?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 83
Message 4 of 4

As far I know, all ThinkCentre systems, M90 generation and later (and probably earlier, but that's before my time), conform to the PCIe specification, which calls for delivering 75w of power through a PCI x16 slot.  The reason you see a power limitation on the graphics slot on some ThinkCentre systems, is due to a power supply limitation, and somewhat on the thermal capacity of smaller cases. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors