Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Community Spotlight

Visit the Community Blog

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Ctrl-Alt-Del
0 Kudos

Thinkcentre freezes and sometimes goes to blue screen

I own a thinkcentre m55 8810-fbu with Pentium D-3.0 Ghz, SATA HD, with Windows XP Pro SP3 installed.  This is a small form factor desktop.  My problem is that the machine destabilizes after about an hour.  I notice lots of wavy line activity on the monitor, the fan revs up some and then it disconnects itself from the internet.  After that I have about 20 secs before it freezes.  I have to power down with the power button to get out of it.  It will boot up again and is operable again for a limited time. When I open the cover, I notice the CPU to be very hot (almost too hot to touch) and the hard drive hotter than I would like to see it.  This unit only has one vent fan.

I have reloaded windows which got rid of the blue screen and memory dumps but I have no confidence it won't keep happening.  I have flashed the BIOS with the latest revision available (2jjy49usa - 12-12-2008).  I have reconnected the SATA drive and memory modules.  I don't know that it helped any.  What should I be looking at to rectify this problem?

Highlighted
Guru
0 Kudos

Betreff: Thinkcentre freezes and sometimes goes to blue screen

Please veryfy, that the CPU-fan is running after turning the ThinkCentre on. If not, the fan must be replaced.

You also should take a look whether the ribs of the fansink are free of dust. The ThinkCentre works like a vaccum-cleaner and the dust locks the ribs ather a few months of use.

You can clean the fansink with compressed air after plug off the fan-power-cable from the board. After that job re-attach the fan-power-cable and test the temperature again.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Ctrl-Alt-Del
0 Kudos

Thanks,

The fan works and the heat sink ribs are clean.  I am going through a hard drive rebuild because the company I bought the computer from shipped me a new drive because at one point I was getting delayed write errors.  I will see how this goes.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
0 Kudos

I am going to replace the fan as a matter of course to eliminate the possibility that the one in the machine now is on its last legs.  It it does not help, I will have a spare.