Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobbygunz_
What's DOS?
Views: 625
Message 1 of 9

Tiny M900 desktop VGA adapter causes monitor to continuously flash

Have an M900 and attached VGA from monitor to VGA adaptor. Display flashes intermittently. Monitor works fine with other desktop. M900 only has displayport and USB ports. Do i need to purchase another monitor? Monitor has DVI and VGA options, but feel that the adaptor is the issue, so even a DVI cable would cause same issue. Please help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 582
Message 2 of 9

Re: Tiny M900 desktop VGA adapter causes monitor to continuously flash

It's not clear, but if you're using a DisplayPort (DP) to VGA adapter, it's probably the adapter.  See the DP section in the top 'Help us ...' thread.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
iamlittlemel
Paper Tape
Views: 414
Message 3 of 9

We are experiencing the same issue.  Monitors flashing.  We have at least 100 machines with this symptom.  We have determined that it is not the adaptors, cables, or the monitors.  We have also determined that the issue is caused by static.  We ARE able to recreate the problem on demand.  I am wondering if there is a problem with the external power supplies that come with the M900 tiny's.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 407
Message 4 of 9

We have also determined that the issue is caused by static.  We ARE able to recreate the problem on demand.  I am wondering if there is a problem with the external power supplies that come with the M900 tiny's.  

Can you explain more about the static?  Ty. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
iamlittlemel
Paper Tape
Views: 375
Message 5 of 9

We have been troubleshooting this for about a year now.  This started when we replaced our existing PC's which were full tower M93  Lenovo's with the tiny form factor M900's.  We left the existing monitors that our users had with their full towers.  (internal 110 power supply's that connect directly to power outlet without an inline adaptor).  Since replacing the full tower computers our users report that their monitors "flash", which they do.   We originally swapped out cables, monitors, tried different configurations etc and nothing changed the behavior.  Not every single machine showed these symptoms but 75% do.  We have some Lenovo laptops that exhibit the same symptoms also.  Essentially a person can walk up to the workstation area and sit down and the monitors flash.  Some people are more prone to this as they carry more static I guess.   This is happening in our remote office as well as in this particular building.

Summary: We know it is static, we can prove that by reproducing the problem. We never had even a single problem before replacing the workstations with the TFF’s with the power adaptors. (a couple of laptops as well) We still have some full tower machines in use and they do not exhibit symptoms.

Any help truely appreciated!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 338
Message 6 of 9

@iamlittlemel wrote:

We originally swapped out cables, monitors, tried different configurations etc and nothing changed the behavior.  

Apologies for the delay.  You're using DP to VGA adapters?  Could you give me the brand and model of the adapters you are using, and of the others you have tried (if you have that information available.)   Also brand and model of the monitors.   Thx.  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 313
Message 7 of 9

@BiggAl wrote:
Apologies for the delay.  You're using DP to VGA adapters?  Could you give me the brand and model of the adapters you are using, and of the others you have tried (if you have that information available.)   Also brand and model of the monitors.   Thx. 

Can you give us any information on the DP adapters you are using?  Ty.

iamlittlemel
Paper Tape
Views: 278
Message 8 of 9

We used every cable configuration that we could.  DP to VGA.  DP to DP.  DP to DVI.  etc.  Since we spoke last we do now have a handle on the situation.  We installed filter clips on all of the monitor cables and the static is MUCH less.  Still only happens on the machines that use the external inline power adaptor and has never happened on  the old style full tower machines with the internal power supply.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 265
Message 9 of 9

@iamlittlemel wrote:

We installed filter clips on all of the monitor cables and the static is MUCH less. 

Thanks for the update.  Can you can us details on the filter clips.  Thx. 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors