Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-11-2015

USA

6 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 1 of 2

Tiny in one 23 & M83 optical drive doesn't fit

2015-05-11, 20:10 PM

I purchased a Tiny in one 23 monitor and a M83 tiny with optical drive.  The advertising copy on the Lenovo site states that the TIO 23 is compatible with the M83. When I recieved the two items it turned out that the optical drive is too big to fit in the housing on the monitor.

The manual for the monitor has fairly clear instructions on how to mount the optical drive so I am assuming it must be possible.

My question is has anyone been able to mount an optical drive in this monitor as shown in the manual and if so can you tell me the FRU # ?

Tech support tried hard to find a solution for me but were unable to come up with a part that was compatible with this monitor.  Both people I talked to didn't seem to really know what I was talking about or have any farmiliarity with this product.  Customer Service said " you got what you ordered, you can send it back if you aren't happy".  Sales said we don't have anything like that try a third party.

I really got the impression that none of the Lenovo people I talked to had any idea what the Tiny in One was.  Otherwise this is just what I wanted - an easy to upgrade/repair all in one desktop.  I can use the optical as an external drive if I have to but I would prefer to end up with an all in one as advertised.

Answer
Options

3 Posts

05-11-2015

USA

6 Signins

16 Page Views

Re: Tiny in one 23 & M83 optical drive doesn't fit

2015-05-15, 17:11 PM

UPDATE:  

OK I finally figured it out.  Turns out there is an optcal drive that fits the TIO 23 Monitor.  I looked for one on the Lenoveo site and somehow missed it the first time and when sales told me there was no such thing I stopped looking.

Later I looked more carefully and found the ThinkCentre Tiny-in-One Super-Multi Burner Part number: 4XA0H03972.

I called support back and supplied them with the part number and was told they would ship me the correct part.  Fingers crossed - this should solve the problem.

I still have to wonder why they bundle an optical drive with the M83 Tiny that is not compatible with the tiny series monitor.  If you read the description at http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/m223l/#tab-features I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that if you order one of the Quote -current generation models- Quote

that the optical drive would mount in the monitor.  

Having said all this after setting up Windows, reinstalling my programs and moving all my data from the old computer I am quite happy with this setup. It is very nearly silent and with only one wire (the power cord) makes a very neat and compact unit on my desk.

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

3 Posts

05-11-2015

USA

6 Signins

16 Page Views

• Message 2 of 2

Re: Tiny in one 23 & M83 optical drive doesn't fit

2015-05-15, 17:11 PM

UPDATE:  

OK I finally figured it out.  Turns out there is an optcal drive that fits the TIO 23 Monitor.  I looked for one on the Lenoveo site and somehow missed it the first time and when sales told me there was no such thing I stopped looking.

Later I looked more carefully and found the ThinkCentre Tiny-in-One Super-Multi Burner Part number: 4XA0H03972.

I called support back and supplied them with the part number and was told they would ship me the correct part.  Fingers crossed - this should solve the problem.

I still have to wonder why they bundle an optical drive with the M83 Tiny that is not compatible with the tiny series monitor.  If you read the description at http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/m223l/#tab-features I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that if you order one of the Quote -current generation models- Quote

that the optical drive would mount in the monitor.  

Having said all this after setting up Windows, reinstalling my programs and moving all my data from the old computer I am quite happy with this setup. It is very nearly silent and with only one wire (the power cord) makes a very neat and compact unit on my desk.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms