Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TraysersInc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,564
Message 1 of 10

To Levovo users - what does color coding mean on the SATA connections>

the SATA connectors on the motherboard are colored ORANGE for three and BLACK for one.  What does the color coding mean?  Is the black a higher speed connector, or lower speed? Is it reserved for the DVD drive, or for the primary Hard drive?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,554
Message 2 of 10

Re: To Levovo users - what does color coding mean on the SATA connections>

The one that's different is eSATA, probably.   Have you looked it up in the Hardware Maintenance Manual for your specific system? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
TraysersInc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,540
Message 3 of 10

It doesn't even say in the manual that there is a different color coded sata on the mainboard.  what is eSata?  What would be different about eSata versus the others?

TraysersInc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,534
Message 4 of 10

I looked up eSata and it says it has a different size connector, but the connector for this black connection is the same shape - L shaped... but I think it definitely must have some different qualities.  **bleep** is the ThinkCentre M series specifically the Lenovo ThinkCentre M57p (9088-BGU).  It should have some simple explanation which should have been in the manual but was not...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,517
Message 5 of 10

The specs on your system says: 1.0 x eSATA,

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/lenovo-thinkcentre-m57p-core/4507-3118_7-32816078.html

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT000644
I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
TraysersInc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,503
Message 6 of 10

Awesome, thanks so much.  when I searched for significance, it says that the only thing it really offers is longer distance for cable, but it was not a faster connection.  But on the chance it is better, should I attach the main hard drive to it?  thanks for finding this for me...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,497
Message 7 of 10

@TraysersInc wrote:

But on the chance it is better, should I attach the main hard drive to it?

NO. 

TraysersInc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,494
Message 8 of 10

One more question.  This is meant to connect to an external device, so it is meant for a longer length of cable.  I imagine it has the L shaped connector so alternatively someone could plug an additional sata internal drive, but with no special benefit.  My one question is do these four sata drives work in a hierarchical order, so that the external one mounts after the first three, in sequence, so in theory it should be used for the last drive?  I hooked the DVD to it, and it appears to work as the "D" drive but was wondering if that is NOT a good use? maybe these are silly questions...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,488
Message 9 of 10

DVD drives are slow, it won't make a difference on the eSata port, but you'd only want to do that if you had 3 HDD and or SSDs on the other ports.
TraysersInc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,467
Message 10 of 10

thanks again.  I want to clone a hard drive, so need to free up two drive ports to do this.  Now running into problems of signature collisions - <sigh>   I am just innocently trying to have a back up hard drive in case one fails, and MS makes doing this so difficult.  Guess I might just go back to an XP version and see if I can clone using that system for windows 7 hard drives as it worked for window vista, but there appears to be a way around this problem of using a windows 7 system to clone a windows 7 disk... hoping that it will work for a windows 8 disk cloning as we now have one of those to worry about.  Again, only doing this to make sure we can survive a hard disk crash which Microsoft makes so difficult.  Their disk backup tools DO NOT reliably work.  Again, thanks so much...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors