Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TraysersInc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,664
Message 1 of 10

To Levovo users - what does color coding mean on the SATA connections>

the SATA connectors on the motherboard are colored ORANGE for three and BLACK for one.  What does the color coding mean?  Is the black a higher speed connector, or lower speed? Is it reserved for the DVD drive, or for the primary Hard drive?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,654
Message 2 of 10

Re: To Levovo users - what does color coding mean on the SATA connections>

The one that's different is eSATA, probably.   Have you looked it up in the Hardware Maintenance Manual for your specific system? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
TraysersInc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,640
Message 3 of 10

It doesn't even say in the manual that there is a different color coded sata on the mainboard.  what is eSata?  What would be different about eSata versus the others?

TraysersInc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,634
Message 4 of 10

I looked up eSata and it says it has a different size connector, but the connector for this black connection is the same shape - L shaped... but I think it definitely must have some different qualities.  **bleep** is the ThinkCentre M series specifically the Lenovo ThinkCentre M57p (9088-BGU).  It should have some simple explanation which should have been in the manual but was not...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,617
Message 5 of 10

The specs on your system says: 1.0 x eSATA,

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/lenovo-thinkcentre-m57p-core/4507-3118_7-32816078.html

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT000644
I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Highlighted
TraysersInc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,603
Message 6 of 10

Awesome, thanks so much.  when I searched for significance, it says that the only thing it really offers is longer distance for cable, but it was not a faster connection.  But on the chance it is better, should I attach the main hard drive to it?  thanks for finding this for me...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,597
Message 7 of 10

@TraysersInc wrote:

But on the chance it is better, should I attach the main hard drive to it?

NO. 

TraysersInc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,594
Message 8 of 10

One more question.  This is meant to connect to an external device, so it is meant for a longer length of cable.  I imagine it has the L shaped connector so alternatively someone could plug an additional sata internal drive, but with no special benefit.  My one question is do these four sata drives work in a hierarchical order, so that the external one mounts after the first three, in sequence, so in theory it should be used for the last drive?  I hooked the DVD to it, and it appears to work as the "D" drive but was wondering if that is NOT a good use? maybe these are silly questions...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,588
Message 9 of 10

DVD drives are slow, it won't make a difference on the eSata port, but you'd only want to do that if you had 3 HDD and or SSDs on the other ports.
TraysersInc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,567
Message 10 of 10

thanks again.  I want to clone a hard drive, so need to free up two drive ports to do this.  Now running into problems of signature collisions - <sigh>   I am just innocently trying to have a back up hard drive in case one fails, and MS makes doing this so difficult.  Guess I might just go back to an XP version and see if I can clone using that system for windows 7 hard drives as it worked for window vista, but there appears to be a way around this problem of using a windows 7 system to clone a windows 7 disk... hoping that it will work for a windows 8 disk cloning as we now have one of those to worry about.  Again, only doing this to make sure we can survive a hard disk crash which Microsoft makes so difficult.  Their disk backup tools DO NOT reliably work.  Again, thanks so much...

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors