Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Missing_Link
What's DOS?
Views: 1,960
Message 1 of 3

USB causes reboot

I have 5 ThinkCentre M50 pcs all with the same issue. After a reload with XP and installing drivers from the website when a USB device of any type is plugged in the system crashes completely and reboots. If the device is left in the system shows the illegal shutdown message and then reboots as soon as XP starts and so continues to loop the reboot. If the device is unplugged then the next boot will work. 
Retired Guru
Views: 1,955
Message 2 of 3

Re: USB causes reboot

thats an interesting one.  Before you try anything fancy, just try reinstalling the USB drivers.  (not the drivers for the devices you plug in, but the driver for the actual ports.)
T61 15.4" T9300 (2.5GHz 6MB L2) Windows 7 Professional x64 4GB Memory, NVidia Quadro NVS 140M
Missing_Link
What's DOS?
Views: 1,945
Message 3 of 3

Re: USB causes reboot

Looking in the event log I see minidumps reported for each crash and on startup it want's to send reports to Microsoft.

The USB drivers are a part of the Intel inf updater, I redownloaded the file and on expansion it complained that the expansion folder already existed so I am happy I have the same one.
Re-running the updater was very quick and did not ask for a reboot. Symptoms were the same.

I then opened device manager and chose to Update Driver, Not to go online, Select where to get update from and pointed it to the XP folder in the IBMTools\drivers\q..... This went through the process of installing files after which the USB interfaces appear to work.

An odd one!!!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors