cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrP2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,955
Message 1 of 8

Unable to update bios for m93 to latest version "afuwin.exe has stopped working"

I have been trying to update the bios on my m93 running Windows 10.  I tried manually doing the install, and the using the system update utility.  every time It crashes, saying "afuwin.exe has stopped working"

The event log says the following:

Faulting application name: afuwin.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x593922fb
Faulting module name: afuwin.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x593922fb
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000016da
Faulting process id: 0x1e08
Faulting application start time: 0x01d374e8ff406dd1
Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~3\Lenovo\SYSTEM~1\SESSIO~1\REPOSI~1\FBJYCL~1\afuwin.exe
Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~3\Lenovo\SYSTEM~1\SESSIO~1\REPOSI~1\FBJYCL~1\afuwin.exe
Report Id: bd417305-c60a-49c9-9842-356df40e9ef8
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I've tried multiple times, restarting, etc, and it keeps crashing.  Any suggestions?

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,937
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unable to update bios for m93 to latest version "afuwin.exe has stopped working"

Have you tried burning a CD from the ISO version of the BIOS update download, and running it from CD?

DrP2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,930
Message 3 of 8

Re: Unable to update bios for m93 to latest version "afuwin.exe has stopped working"

No; the PC in question (an M93p tiny) doesn't have a CD drive.  I did try copying the ISO to a bootable USB flash drive, but several programs told me that it wasn't a valid ISO file.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,911
Message 4 of 8

There's usually a USB drive zip file download that can be used with Tinys.  Also, at the very bottom of the BIOS page, are downloads of the previous version, you could try that to see if you get a different result. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
DrP2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,873
Message 5 of 8

My current version is from July of this year.  the next update was in september. 

I did want to try to update the bios using the dos utility, as listed in the readme:

*                       1. Installation Instructions                        *

*     Please print out these instructions or write them down before         *

*     starting this flash update utility.                                   *

*     BIOS update by DOS utility: There is now one compressed folder        *

*     released with each BIOS (image name FBJTxxUSA.ZIP), containing the    *

*     BIOS image, DOS flash utility, batch files for auto execution,        *

*     release note and flash instruction. Unpack and copy all files in      *

*     FBJTxxUSA.ZIP to a DOS bootable memory key.                           *

*     BIOS update by bootable CD: There is now one CD image file            *

*     released with each BIOS (image name FBJ9xxUSA.ISO), containing the    *

*     BIOS image, DOS flash utility, release note and flash instruction.    *

*     If you prefer to create a bootable CD to update BIOS, please follow   *

*     the instructions for CDROM.                                           *

It wasn't even recognizing my bootable USB  flashdrive, and after some digging, I found this:

Microsoft requires Lenovo to configure all Microsoft Windows 8 and 10 PCs with the following UEFI firmware (BIOS) settings:

• UEFI only
  • Secure Boot

With these settings, it is not possible to boot a Legacy operating system such as DOS or Microsoft Windows XP.  Also, it is not possible to boot an operating system that is not enabled for Secure Boot, such as Microsoft Windows 7 and certain Linux distributions. 

For these reasons, it is not possible to boot many existing diagnostic or backup/restore tools on a Microsoft Windows 8 or 10 PC with default UEFI firmware (BIOS) settings.

from https://support.lenovo.com/il/en/solutions/ht076905

any other suggestions?

YGRIG
Serial Port
Views: 1,836
Message 6 of 8

You should switch boot mode to CSM/Legacy and turn off Secure Boot (probably it will turn off by itself when you switch boot mode to Legacy). Then you will be able to boot from any USB drive you want, with any system you want, it will be just good old BIOS, no UEFI whansoever.
eL_JeeZy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,116
Message 7 of 8

Having a similar issue with the AFUWIN.EXE error (code 255). I thought I figured out the issue on one PC, had to remove teh Admin Password in BIOS, but I also made changes to Secure Boot... Those shouldn't really affect teh BIOS update process, though, right?

Also, I could not get the m93p to boot from an external CD/DVD ROM. I do not even see it offered as an option when I hit F12 (or ENTER) at the Lenovo screen after booting (I only see the HDD w/ Boot Manager).

Any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks!

LGz

Rattanee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,114
Message 8 of 8

Google RUFUS, download, and create an MS-DOS bootable pendrive with it. Download the USB version of the bios bundle, and just copy the contents onto the pendrive, and let it overwrite the autoexec.bat. Now you have a bootable pendrive that will automatically start the dos updater for you. I did it, but I have a Secure Flash error and still cannot update Smiley Sad 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors