cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harry66
SCSI Port
Views: 242
Message 1 of 4

Upgrade from M58p to M90p - without reinstalling Windows? sysprep?

Hi,

I have a M58p which currently has Windows 8.1 installed. I have the opportunity to upgrade to a M90p but I dont wish to go through the hassle of re-installing Windows and Office plus other applications.

I have read on a few sites that I may be able to just take the HDD from one PC and plug into another and Windows will most likely install the new drivers and work away. A few have mentioned running "sysprep /generalize / shutdown" to reset the installation to a vanilla i.e. remove drivers etc before making the move.

Has anyone here done something similar to the above and did it go OK? Any issues worth noting?  Does the sysprep help?

Thanks in advance for any replies. Cat Happy

harry66
SCSI Port
Views: 213
Message 2 of 4

Re: Upgrade from M58p to M90p - without reinstalling Windows? sysprep?

Update just in case it helps others.

I tried sysprep /generalise /shutdown which started the sysprep tool but it reported after while that it could not complete the process and aborted.

I decided to shutdown and proceed regardless.

Swapped the HDD from the M58p to the M90p and it several minutes to complete the boot up and initialisation process before I got the Windows login screen.

Logged in and everything seemed ok - all drivers were installed correctly etc and pc has been running fine.

So, it looks like Windows 8.1 is pretty good at updating drivers etc after a motherboard upgrade - assuming not too much changes between the motherboards.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 209
Message 3 of 4

Impressive.  I would have bet against it working.  

I would suggest running a registry cleaner (such as CCleaner) to clean up unneeded registry entries from the M58 install.  

harry66
SCSI Port
Views: 194
Message 4 of 4

good idea - will give it a whirl

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors