cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnoo
Punch Card
Views: 850
Message 1 of 9

Upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Any Program Changes required?

I intend in the next few weeks to upgrade to Windows 10.

Is there any updated software required after this upgrade & if so where can I find it?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 819
Message 2 of 9

Re: Upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Any Program Changes required?

Completely uninstall any 3rd party security program, because of how tightly coupled security programs are with the OS, it's difficult to upgrade with them in place, and can hose the upgrade.   Some require the download and running of an uninstall program (ie. Norton, McAfee), make note of any license key before hand.     

Reinstall (ensure that it's Win 10 compatible) after the upgrade and after fully updating Windows.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
johnoo
Punch Card
Views: 801
Message 3 of 9

Al,

Thanks, but I meant are there any Lenovo Programs that I should update after moving to Windows 10 & if so where do I find these?

Note they used to be in the Solution Centre but this part of the Centre does not now exist!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 775
Message 4 of 9

Make sure that you install "Lenovo Companion" and "Lenovo Settings" from the Windows Store after you've upgraded. Lenovo Companion will also track whether new or updated Lenovo software (BIOS, drivers, utilities) are available for download and installation.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

johnoo
Punch Card
Views: 771
Message 5 of 9

Thanks,

But where will I find the Windows Store?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 768
Message 6 of 9

It comes with Windows 10...

After installing Windows 10, you'll find the icon on the Taskbar (marked in red in the image below)

Lenovo 02.png

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

johnoo
Punch Card
Views: 766
Message 7 of 9

many thanks for reply, & quick as well.

johnoo
Punch Card
Views: 734
Message 8 of 9

Make sure that you install "Lenovo Companion" and "Lenovo Settings" from the Windows Store after you've upgraded. Lenovo Companion will also track whether new or updated Lenovo software (BIOS, drivers, utilities) are available for download and installation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking about this all night.

Is it not possible to find new Drivers from "Support Center"?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 728
Message 9 of 9

@johnoo wrote:

Thinking about this all night.

Is it not possible to find new Drivers from "Support Center"?

Yes, of course it is. And you'll see new drivers there before they appear in Lenovo Companion in most cases. It's up to you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors