Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
icemaster523
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,245
Message 1 of 5

Upgrading power supply on thinkcentre m82 sff

Is it possible to upgrade the power supply on a thinkcentre m82 sff to accomodate more power hungry low profile graphics cards such as the gtx 1050 ti low profile on the PCI express x16 slots? The psref of the m82 states that the PCI express slot can only accomodate a 45w power draw so could I replace the 240w psu in the m82 with a higher wattage psu so I can put a 1050ti low profile in that slot which draws 75w? Would the motherboard have to be replaced? Thanks.

On a side note, would it be possible to add a 2tb HDD to a m82 sff which already has a gt 1030 in it? Would that still be in safe power limits? Thanks again.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,193
Message 2 of 5

Re: Upgrading power supply on thinkcentre m82 sff

@icemaster523 wrote:

On a side note, would it be possible to add a 2tb HDD to a m82 sff which already has a gt 1030 in it? Would that still be in safe power limits?

Yes, to this question.  A HDD draws little power compared to the system overall.  There are a few SFF power supply upgrade threads here, but for M92 and M93, which uses the same case and similar size power supplies to yours. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
icemaster523
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,182
Message 3 of 5

Oh ok thanks. I researched more about the M82 and found its PSREF: http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/withdrawnbook/M82.pdf 

In here it states that there is a 45w limit on the PCI express 2.0 x16 slot on the M82 sff while the M82 tower has a 75w limit.  They both, however, have the same chipset (Intel Q75 express chipset) so is the limit on the sff just because of the smaller power supply? I'm guessing this is just for safety reasons as in this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/M82-SFF-and-1050-Ti-Graphics-card/td-p/35909...

a user has upgraded to a 1050ti low profile in an m82 sff with no issues (message 9). If this is true, upgrading to a 300w psu at least would eliminate the safety issue. Or is it reasonable to just upgrade to a 1050ti without upgrading the psu? Thanks.

There are several threads about successfully upgrading to a 750ti in a m93p whose tdp is 60w and the m93p has the same size psu too so a 1050ti in an m82 whose tdp is 75w seems reasonable.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,165
Message 4 of 5

@icemaster523 wrote:
In here it states that there is a 45w limit on the PCI express 2.0 x16 slot on the M82 sff while the M82 tower has a 75w limit.  They both, however, have the same chipset (Intel Q75 express chipset) so is the limit on the sff just because of the smaller power supply? I'm guessing this is just for safety reasons as in this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/M82-SFF-and-1050-Ti-Graphics-card/td-p/35909...

Correct.  Both SFF and Tower use the same motherboard, the 45w limit is due to the reduced power supply capacity and cooling capacity of he smaller case.  Also bare in mind, a i3 processor uses significantly less power than a i5 / i7, and that is a factor in what GPU upgrade can work in a SFF. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
icemaster523
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,152
Message 5 of 5

Ah ok thank you so much. I'm guessing that I'd need a power supply upgrade then as my m82 has an i7 3770. Which 300-450w power supply would be best for an m82 SFF? What size should they be and are there any specific products or brands which you'd recommend? I'd like one which would be quiet and be able to last for several years. Thank you again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors