Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ksor
Punch Card
Views: 119
Message 1 of 3

WakeOnLAN doesn't work after update to Windows 10 1709

I have a M58 Desktop (ThinkCentre) - Type 6209 and it's been used for taking care of my backups in a scullery in my house. I control it from my daily go-to machine in my room in the house - meaning I turn it on by WakeOnLAN and then use the remote desktop for starting up the backup - and it's been working for years.

Now I upgraded to Windows 10 1709 and now the WakeOnLAN doesn't work any more !

I have checked the BIOS and I think it's set up as it should be and I've checked the setting in the network adaptor and found them OK too - but still it will not turn the machin on.

Why and what should I do to make it work again ?

EDIT: I just noticed that the ORANGE LIGHT beside the RJ45 adapter on the back of the machine has NO light !
          Too I compared the settings in the network adaptor on this trublesome mashine and one where WOL works, and they have the same setting for ALL !
ksor
Punch Card
Views: 89
Message 2 of 3

Re: WakeOnLAN doesn't work after update to Windows 10 1709

I think my WOL problems have to do with the POWER cord !

By chance I found out some interesting thing about my missing light in the network adaptor by the RJ45 socket when the machine is shut off for the night !

I CAN be turned ON again by simply taking out the power cord  for some seconds and then put it in again - the machine takes "a deep breath" with the fans and the shut off again !

IN THIS STATE the WakeOnLAN works again !!!!!!!!!!!!

What are the truth, the whole truth and nothong but the truth about this behavour ?

EDIT: It seems like the FIRST boot hangs and I have to turn the machine off and on again for it to complete the boot !!

I think it gets more and more mysterious !

ksor
Punch Card
Views: 74
Message 3 of 3

Re: WakeOnLAN doesn't work after update to Windows 10 1709

Eventhough there IS a light in the RJ45 socket when the machine is shut down for the night - the WOL do NOT work !

I now found out that I have to take the power cord OUT of the wall until the light in the RJ45 socket turn OFF - and then plug it in again.

When I do that, the machine shortly turn the fans on very fast and after 1-2 seconds turns it all off again and goes back to "shut down for the night" condition.

NOW - without doing anything else the WOL works nicely !

How can I workaround this "taking the power cord out of the wall" ?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors