cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psantucc
Paper Tape
Views: 3,027
Message 1 of 11

What does the "UEFI" in M90 BIOS Update 5JKT65A mean?

I ask because it seems to indicate that running it would replace BIOS with UEFI firmware, thus enabling GPT disks.

It does not. I have successfully updated and interrupting the boot with Enter and F1 still shows an AMD BIOS. I have been unable to locate any options related to UEFI anwhere in the setup screens for said BIOS.

What am I missing?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,968
Message 2 of 11

Re: What does the "UEFI" in M90 BIOS Update 5JKT65A mean?

I don't have acces to a M90, so unable to test myself, but in your BIOS, do you have a setting for "compatibility mode" on or off ? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
psantucc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,955
Message 3 of 11

Not that I can find. The closest to that label is "Legacy Free" on the advanced menu. I've tried both Enabled and Disabled with no observable effect. Screenshot for reference:

IMG_20160705_222133.jpgLegacy Enable Screenshot

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 2,949
Message 4 of 11

Hello psantucc,

could you have a look in the BIOS Devices menu to see if you have the entries illustrated below

Capture.PNG

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

psantucc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,925
Message 5 of 11

I do have that set of options; currently set ACHI and was at the time of installing Win7 and updating to 10 as well:

IMG_20160710_140300.jpg

psantucc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,913
Message 6 of 11

I need to amend that post - I don't actually know if AHCI was set at the time of Windows installation. I know I didn't change this option, but it may have been changed at the time of BIOS update (or UEFI installation, if that's what happened).

psantucc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,903
Message 7 of 11

Another indication that strongly suggests that I do not have UEFI/GPT support:

I made a GPT only bootable USB Windows 10 install media, and an MBR version at the same time. MBR boots in USB 1 of the M90, GPT doesn't.

I could accept the possibility that an M90 won't ever be uefi/GPT capable, but not when there's an update labelled UEFI.

psantucc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,895
Message 8 of 11

I tried Lenovo support via phone today. Because they machine is out of warranty, they won't even answer tech questions. This forum seems to be my only hope.

Based on the evidence available, I think the use of "UEFI" in the update to the BIOS is incorrect, and that this machine is not UEFI capable under any circumstance. I do hope anyone with evidence to the contrary will prove me wrong, as I would like to be able to continue to use the machine.

Highlighted
psantucc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,899
Message 9 of 11

Can an M90p be made to support UEFI/GPT?

This is a less snarky variant of a previous topic of mine. I apologize for the overlap.

I have an M90p machine type model 5536A86 currently running Windows 10. Certain updates of Windows 10 (including, but not limited to current build 1511) alter the partition table of the system drive during the update. For some users running BIOS/MBR partitioning, the process fails, rendering the system partition unreadable. I am one of those.

I would like to try using GPT partitioning, but can't get my M90p to boot a GPT formatted USB drive, though the same port will boot an MBR drive with the same content.

I have the latest firmware version 5JKT65A installed, called "Flash UEFI BIOS update" on this support page:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Desktops-and-all-in-ones/ThinkCentre-M-Series-desktops/Thin...

My machine is out of warranty and I therefore cannot ask Lenovo any questions about it directly, nor have I found documentation directly addressing the question. I am at wit's end and will have to discard the machine if it cannot be made stable. GPT seems my best hope.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this device is UEFI capable?

Admin note; threads merged together

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,855
Message 10 of 11

Re: Can an M90p be made to support UEFI/GPT?

psantucc wrote:

I am at wit's end and will have to discard the machine if it cannot be made stable. GPT seems my best hope.

Can I ask, what is it that you absolutely need UEFI/GPT for?   Thx.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors