Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FerVi87M
Paper Tape
Views: 1,555
Message 1 of 7

Windows 10 version 1803 kills our computers

For the past  3 months I have tried every suggested solution imaginable, expending literally dozens of hours  to try to install Feature Updates to upgrade my Windows 10 Pro from v.1607 to v1803 as repeatedly required by Microsoft. The situation is now very urgent, they inform me, but I am beginning to despair. The installation process always closes with a not very helpful  "Update Failed to install".  It may be that the error could lie with Lenovo: that the  M91p was not tested and approved for compatibility with the newest MS OS software, see: 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/check-this-list-to-dete...

I think that there must be others with the same problem and that there might just be a usable solution available, but in view of the following I am not over-optimistic:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10/Windows-10-version-1803-kills-our-computers/m-p/4070948#M654...

Is there really no way out other than to switch to another OS because Lenovo might be at fault?  After 30-odd years of Windows, I've got used to using it!  My Lenovo present OS combination still runs fine, but now I am confronted with the equally serious problem that my Adobe Lightroom no longer functions, because it requires a higher OS version than my apparently un-updatable Windows 10 v 1607.

What would be the best alternative OS? Anyone have a suggestion?  Apple maybe?

Any practicable advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 1,514
Message 2 of 7

Re: Windows 10 version 1803 kills our computers

Win 10 is not supported OS on M91p (by Intel BTW not Lenovo, it is not Lenovo fault) .

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html
--
So for Win 10 to be officially supported you must have at least 3rd gen Intel Core CPU among others.

Check list here
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html

BTW, "Killings" is not Lenovo's fault but Microsoft screw-up and vehemency. It is not limited to Lenovo only ...

Disclaimer: I am not Lenovo employee. While I do work for Lenovo Partner, all my contributions are my personal, non-official and not that of Lenovo or my employer.

FerVi87M
Paper Tape
Views: 1,510
Message 3 of 7

Clarification: The error with my Lightroom Classic CC turned out to be merely a LR slider setting problem, now corrected.  Originally, I had been notified by Adobe that in my case, Windows 10 version 1803 is a system requirement  for installation of Adobe Premiere Rush CC.

FerVi87M
Paper Tape
Views: 1,506
Message 4 of 7

Many thanks Toruk-Makto for the quick and helpful response. My apologies to Lenovo for wrongly assuming that they were the culprit: I had read that the reason was a .dll that Lenovo had not replaced!   It clearly wasn't!

I have now checked back on the system information as you advised:

My Lenovo M91p desktop computer specs are:

System Model 7052A9G

System Type   x64-based PC

Processor is:   Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Details:

  Product Collection Legacy Intel® Core™ Processors

  Vertical Segment Desktop

  Processor Number i5-2400

  Status Launched

  Launch Date Q1'11

  Code Name Products formerly Sandy Bridge.

This Code Name is not on the list that you advised me to consult at:

That confirms incompatibility, so what should I do next? My present thoughts are:

Having just taken a thorough look at  what 'really new' things Microsoft Win 10 v 1803 alleggedly brings to the user, I am not convinced that it would be of any benefit to me at all: my single-user requirements are limited to everyday 'normal' average-guy, single owner usage of Office 2010; almost exclusively Word, Excel and Outlook and some Internet traffic. I don't need or want fancy frills.

In addition, I really would not want to replace my M91p just yet. With an post-purchase installed expanded physical memory of 16GB, it fulfils my modest requirements very well indeed. I have never had a single problem with it.  My idea therefore is to block the v 1803 upgrade until further notice and carry on with the present setup (OS Microsoft Win 10 Pro Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393).

However, supposing that later on, if further Microsoft 'hammer blows' cause upgrading the core processor to the standard required by Win 10 v 1803 and succeeding versions to become unavoidable, would a core upgrade 'in-place' be feasible? If yes, can Lenovo please tell me which substitute processor they subsequently installed to correct this disastrous lapse by Microsoft? Maybe I can get this replacement core processor fitted locally; or would the mother board itself have to be replaced by Lenovo?

What do you advise that I should now do in these circumstances? I have tried to contact Microsoft for assistance, but received no reply. 

Thank you in advance.  Regards.

Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 1,485
Message 5 of 7

Oops second link is wrong, it should be
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds102688

Disclaimer: I am not Lenovo employee. While I do work for Lenovo Partner, all my contributions are my personal, non-official and not that of Lenovo or my employer.

Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 1,483
Message 6 of 7

Option 1: block updates

Option 2: replace M91p with PC from my second link (M93/M900/M910/M920 ... for some reason the latest -20 series is not on that list)

You can not just upgrade cpu on M91p to get it Win 10 compatible ... as all upgrades are Sandy Bridge too ...

FerVi87M
Paper Tape
Views: 1,431
Message 7 of 7

Great! That is sound advice!  I have downloaded the LSC Lite from your link and run the long full scan with all options set. Result: My M91p installation is 100% OK! So for as long as possible I shall continue using it.

When the time comes, your link to the comprehensive catalogue of the latest Lenovo product models will be very welcome, and especially useful with its comparison and customizing options.

Many thanks for ending this long period of stress for me!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors