Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skorpinok1
Paper Tape
Views: 700
Message 1 of 6

Wireless PCI Express card error ThinKcentre M800 Desktop

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre Desktop SFF M800, running windows 10 pro, Bios # FWKT38A, i recently purchased a TP-link Wireless N PCI Express adapter Model # TLWN88IND after i installed & booted my pc i got this error message "Unauthorized Wireless network card is plugged in. Power off and remove it, how to fix this error ? you suggestion is greatly appreciated 

Bios Information - BIOS Version/Date LENOVO FWKT38A, 1/28/2016

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Regards

skorpinok

Guru
Views: 654
Message 2 of 6

Re: Wireless PCI Express card error ThinKcentre M800 Desktop

Unfortunatelly your M800 have a whitelist in BIOS, which prevents booting with unauthorized devices, like your TP-link module. Sadly, you won't be able to use it. Below I've listed supported modules:

FRU: 00JT471, Wireless,CMB,LTN,NFA344 V2
FRU: 00JT477, Qualcomm Atheros NFA435
FRU: 00JT480, Intel 8260NGW AC
FRU: 00JT497, Intel 3165NGW AC
FRU: 00JT506, Intel 8260NGW AC
FRU: 00JT507, Intel 3165NGW AC

Please do note, that all these moduels have m.2 2242 size and require additional reiser card PCIe -> m.2 (FRU: 01AJ802 or 01AJ815) and proper antenna kits. Below I have listed them (I hope, I didn't forgot about something...):

FRU: 04X2745, front antena

FRU: 04X2746, external antenna connector

FRU: 03T7203, external antenna

More information about parts below:

https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkCentre/m800_sff_parts_12302016.pdf

Hardware maintenance manual

------
skorpinok1
Paper Tape
Views: 630
Message 3 of 6

Hi, Thanks.. is there a way i can get  complete ready made PCI  itself with antenna  that comes with any one these supported modules, (any brand that has these supported modules). that way it would be easier, than going out & collecting bits & pieces as most of them may not be available.. & even if i get one item it may differ in size etc..

Regards

SeniorGuru
Views: 615
Message 4 of 6

Since you didn't buy your M800 with wireless LAN pre-installed, is there a reason you need it as opposed to using the wired ethernet port on the back of the PC?  Is the location of your M800 so distant from your router/modem so that it's impossible to just use an ethernet cable from M800 to router/modem?

Alternative to installing an internal wireless network adapter in your M800, why not just go with a plug-in USB wireless network adapter?  Your M800 has plenty of probably unused USB ports.  Wouldn't this be much simpler and probably much cheaper?

skorpinok1
Paper Tape
Views: 608
Message 5 of 6

Hi . Right now am using M800 using wired ethernet port works perfect, the reason i wanted to have wireless pci card because am shipping off this pc to a different location where i don't have a wired connection but a cellular 4G, my other lenovo all in desktop has built in wifi that depends on wireless 4G for internet, i thought of plug-n play wifi usb adapters at first, but i desired for this option as it looks standard & original setup. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 596
Message 6 of 6

So you're going to be using your cell phone as a "hot spot", and then let the M800 connect WiFi to the phone, and leech off of the Internet Data capability of the phone?  I hope you have unlimited data on your cellular plan.

But as long as you don't require Internet access 24/7 which would need your phone to be near the M800 24/7, I guess this WiFi approach is a more cost-effective approach to on-demand Internet capability than actually installing a genuine WWAN adapter in your M800 (as you have built into your other Lenovo AIO) and signing up for another 4G cellular account to be the ISP for your M800.

Anyway, one way or the other, you need some new one or more parts, either for (a) internal WiFi card plus adapters and antennas, or USB WiFi adapter, either of which borrow your phone's Internet connectivity and data plan, or (a) the same type of internal or USB hardware and 4G capability to add WWAN to your M800.

And nothing is free in life.

Yes, the WiFi option for the M800 from the factory would have been a reasonable purchase option at that time.  But as was pointed out above, adding it yourself now it involves several parts which could be ordered from Lenovo and installed by you, but none of which you currently have.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors