Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 386
Message 1 of 46

enabling enclosures

i'm having all kinds of trouble enabling an enclosure. i've used two different brands on three different lenovo's, 2 sff and 1 laptop. the enclosues cannot be enabled not even recognized.

e63 and m92 w7 pro

anyone have a suggestion? i have followed instructions to the letter

SeniorGuru
Views: 347
Message 2 of 46

Re: enabling enclosures

Please provide some real specific details so that we might help out.

Exactly WHAT is "an enclousre"?  Are you talking about external enclosures for eSATA or USB connections?

What is the manufacturer and model of the "enclosure"?  And what is the internal device you have installed in the enclosure?  HDD/SSD drive and what size/capacity, 2.5" or 3.5", SATA1/2/3, etc.?  Or is it a 5.25" optical drive (full-size or slim)?

If eSATA, how are you going from the internal SATA connector out to the back of the machine where presumably you have an ESATA connector?  Did the machine have its own built-in eSATA connector, or did you install your own add-on bracket (like something from StarTech)?

If USB, are you using a USB 2.0 or 3.0 or 3.1 connector on the PC?  What type of USB connection is available on the enclosure?

I have just recently had my own personal experience with three different brands of two different types of enclosures for assorted devices, ALL OF WHICH WORKED PERFECTLY with my new Lenovo ThinkCentre M910t tower machine.  So just for your own reference, the following have all worked perfectly:

(1) OWC Mercury Elite Pro 1-bay enclosure, for either USB 3.0 or eSATA or firewire connection for your SATA drive installed inside.

(a) I use two of these OWC enclosures via their eSATA connector, with each enclosure holding a 4TB WD Black SATA3 HDD spinner.  Each of these two enclosures is connected through an eSATA cable to one of the two eSATA ports on this StarTech 2-port eSATA rear bracket which comes in both low-profile and standard height brackets and connects internally via cables from the bracket to two open motherboard SATA connectors.

Before the 4TB WD Black HDD spinner drives currently installed I was using 2TB Black HDD spinners in the same enclosures, using the same eSATA connection method.

(b) I use one of these OWC enclosures via its USB 3.0 connector, holding a 4TB WD Black SATA3 HDD spinner.

Before using this OWC enclosure and drive I was using a retail Verbatim Store 'n' Save USB 3.0 drive (in 2TB size) connected via USB 3.0.  I have five of these same drives myself for "backup" purposes on other desktop and laptop machines of my own, and I have successfully installed for problem-free use at least another dozen of these for friends and family, to do backups on their own machines.

(2) Before going to the individual 1-bay eSATA-connected OWC enclosure method I was using this Yottamaster 2-bay USB 3.0 enclosure, to hold either one or two WD Black HDD spinners. At first I was using the older 2TB drives but upgraded them to the new 4TB drives, before deciding I wanted to go with the individual OWC enclosures for individual drive eSATA connection rather than to both drives through a single USB 3.0 connection to a single-connection 2-bay USB 3.0 enclosure.

(3) On my old home-built ASUS-based tower machine (before it died) all of these WD Black HDD spinner drives were installed internally in 3.5" drive bays.  When the machine died a few months ago I decided to replase it with the M910t (running Win7), and move the internal drives to external enclosures... described above.

I also had a 5.25" Panasonic BluRay burner optical drive in the machine, which I wanted to use with the M910t (that came with its own slim optical CD/DVD burner drive).  But there are no internal 5.25" bays in the M910t, so I had to go "external enclosure". I found this Vantec NST-536S3-BK enclosure for 5.25" optical drives through a USB 3.0 connection.  I was concerned because the Panny drive is 7.5" in length and the enclosure specs state it can only hold a drive 7.25" and shorter, but decided to try it anyway.

Miraculously with a bit of extra pushing the drive really did fit (just barely inside on the rear where the SATA data/power connection is), with 1/4" of the front bezel of the drive peeking out the front "nose" of the enclosure rather than being absolutely flush.  No problem.  It works and looks great.

Note that Vantec also makes a single-bay 3.5" enclosure for USB 3.0 connection as well as one for a USB 3.1 connection. I haven't used either of these but I assume they also work fine.

I personally have never yet had any "trouble" of any kind using an external drive enclosure, on any machine. Until my recent involvement with eSATA connections and the OWC enclosures through the StarTech eSATA bracket to the motherboard SATA connectors, all of my experience has been strictly with USB 3.0 cable connections using ordinary 3.0/3.1 ports on the desktop or laptop machines.  I've even run these external USB/SATA enclosures through a USB 3.0 4-port hub (like from Sabrent).  Never had any "recognition" problem, either from Windows or from the machine BIOS trying to access these drives.

Generally there's nothing to do or install of "enable" to get the drive inside to be recognized and be immediately usable.  There's typically a first-time recognition by Windows of the new presence of "new hardware" and automatic driver install of whatever driver is required to handle the "removable hardware" interface (typically for USB 3.0 removable drives, and for the eSATA external drives).  But once that's done it never shows up again for that device.

Most enclosures are "transparent" in that the make/model and firmware version of the enclosed drive is what shows up in software like HWInfo64, or Device Manager, etc.  The OWC enclosures were unique in that they don't pass through the manufacturer details of the drive within, but rather instead just show up as "OWC Mercury Elite" no matter whether they are connected via USB 3.0 or eSATA.  You don't actually see the manufacturer make/model/firmware for the contained drive within.  In contrast, the Yottamaster, Verbatim, and Vantec enclosures all simply present the specifics of the HDD spinner or optical drive within them as their "name", with Yottamaster, Verbatim and Vantec suppressed completely... as if there were no enclosure holding these drives.

Highlighted
miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 262
Message 3 of 46

i'm sorry. since i used two different brands on three different computers, i thought this was a generic problem.

as mentioned, m92 sff,  e73 sff, laptop x230

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LS5NFQ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZC303G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

either the enclosures were not recognized or if they were(in the case of the sabrent) and i had to enable it in disk management, the right-click did not give me an enable option, only a "make dynamic,,,,,or somesuch" option. btw when the connection went ok, the computer said "working" but i saw nothing  in explorer - just my c drive, the lenovo recovery drive Q, and the reachit drive. IS THERE SOME KIND OF "VIEW"   THAT IS BEING HIDDEN, i wonder???

now with your response there must be something i am not doing or am doing wrong but i followed the instructions as stated. the process, i must add, did not unfold as described ib the instructions. in one instance, you know you hear a kind of "boink" noise when you connect a pnp? i got this repeated boink boink boink boink. all i do is slip the hd into the enclosure and put the cover back on. plug in the ac and then the usb, and click the power button.

this is a really dumb question but are you seeing your enclosure anywhere here as like an F drive or somesuch because this is all i see when i plug in

Capture.PNG

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 324
Message 4 of 46

ok this is weird i just posted a long reply and now i can't see it. did a moderator delete it???

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 319
Message 5 of 46

sorry for not filling in. since i had problems with THREE enclosures i thought it was a generic problem with all enclosures..

is it possible that i'm looking for the enclosure in the wrong place in explorer. should i be "show all hidden drives"

m92, e73, x230 laptop. all w7 pro

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZC303G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LS5NFQ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SeniorGuru
Views: 290
Message 6 of 46

Well, I'm still not sure I understand what you're expecting to see when you plug the external enclosure/drive into the PC with a USB cable. Windows should then recognize the presence of the new hardware, which should communicate that it is a SATA drive through a USB  interface (as opposed to a SATA drive through a SATA/eSATA controller).  Windows then assigns a drive letter, and it shows up just like any other non-removable drive in all of the assorted ways you can look at things.

Depending on the program you use to view your devices, you will see different things.  You might see optionally see:

(a) the partitioning method (GPT or MBR),

(b) partition "label" / icon (if you have "labeled" your partition manually or with an AUTORUN.INF and icon file),

(c) drive letter,

(d) drive manufacturer information such as model and firmware version,

(e) partition allocation size statistics, including total size and current utilization / free,

(f) hardware specifics about the interface, drive geometry, etc.

So, looking at my own machine which as I described previously has two OWC Mercury Elite 1-bay enclosures each holding 4TB WD Black drives, connected via eSATA.  I also have an external Yottamaster 2-bay enclosure, with only one of its two trays populated with a 4TB WD Black drive (and the other tray empty), connected via USB 3.0.  I also have an internal 6TB WD Black drive, and I also have a 250TB M.2 NVMe Samsung 970 EVO drive for Windows.

Note that the USB drive used to be a 2TB Verbatim external drive, which I used Macrium Reflect to "clone" to the replacement 4TB WD Black drive. So it still shows "Verbatim HD6" in its "label" along with the Verbatim icon, only because I haven't taken the trouble to update the AUTORUN.INF and ICON.ICO files on the drive.  i don't mind having it still show everywhere as if it were the old Verbatim drive label/icon as it will still be handled as the 4TB WD drive it actually is.

Also note that I have multiple partitions allocated on most of my drives, so you will recognize the drives on which each partition resides through my "label" convention which supplies an abbreviation of the drive size as a prefix, and then P1, P2, etc., as a suffix. .

(1) Drives as shown in Windows Explorer:

Explorer_drives.jpg

(2) Drives as shown in DISKMGMT.MSC:

DISKMGMT_drives.jpg

(3) Drives as shown in Partition Wizard:

PW_Drives-1.jpg

PW_Drives-2.jpg

(4) Drives as shown in HWInfo64 (note that OWC/eSATA Enclosure provides its own name, rather than providing the manufacturer's details of the physical drive inside, whereas the Yottamaster/USB enclosure hides its own name and provides the manufacturer's details of the physical drive inside):

HWInfo64_drives_internal_SATA.jpg

HWInfo64_drives_eSATA.jpg

HWInfo64_drives_USB.jpg

So, with that for reference, what shows (or not) with your Sabrent enclosure when you connect it?  Do you not get any drive letter assigned and shown in Explorer?  Do you hear the "new hardware detected" sound and see the little icon showing "installing drivers" which eventually should complete normally?

What happens when you plug in either of these enclosures?  I don't have experience with either of these but they look normal enough.  I would think they should both work. They're inexpensive but I'm sure that is reflected in plastic vs. metal, ventilation vs. non-ventilated, etc., and other manufacturing shortcuts to reduce cost but possibly resulting in more noise passed through or running hotter or whatever.  But otherwise I'd imagine both should work just fine.

When you plug the enclosures into wall power and push the "power on" button, the drive inside should automatically spin up.  If the USB cable is not yet connected to the PC the drive should then probably spin down in about 10-seconds.  Once you plug the USB cable into the PC the drive should then spin up again, and Windows should detect its presence and go through its new hardware detected process and install drivers if necessary, and assign a drive letter.  You should then be able to see that drive letter everywhere.

Of course this "drive letter assignment" will only happen if you've got at least one partition created on it.  If it's still not got any partition created on the drive it won't show up anywhere, since it didn't get a drive letter assigned unless there's a partition to assign a drive letter to.  I use Partition Wizard Free to do all of my partition work (including create, resize, delete, move, label, assign drive letter, etc.) because of its easy interface but there are other methods you can use.

And you can't just create a partition on a brand new drive without formatting the drive for a partitioning method, either MBR or GPT. MBR is older and more limited and can only be used on drives 2TB or smaller.  MBR cannot be used for drives larger than 2TB.  In contrast GPT is newer and has no limitations and can be used on ANY SIZE DRIVE, which makes it ideal.  If you run DISKMGMT.MSC on a brand  new empty drive (fresh out of the carton) it will prompt you to establish the partitioning method you want to use for the drive, either MBR or GPT.  Once you select the method and push OK your drive is now ready for partitioning, to create one or more partitions (say using Partition Wizard).  You can assign drive letters of your own choosing via Partition Wizard or you can let Windows assign them for your (which you can then change later if you don't like the letters that got assigned, either using DISKMGMT.MSC again or using Partition Wizard).

And once you have at least one real partition on the drive in this state, now it should show up everywhere like in my pictures.

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 277
Message 7 of 46

in one instance explorer showd just this, after w7 recognised new hardware. it(sabrent) said i had to enable by right-clicking the disk. so i went to disk management and got THE SAME view as in sabrent example but when i right clicked i only got an option of dynamic disk. everything said the disk was working but it was not showing in the uploaded image. 

in two instances everything was fine but i couldn't see the disk(as shown). in another instance it was just not recognized - "unable to,,,,,". you know that usb icon in the lower right? when i clicked on it it showed two options, "eject" and "open device and printers" and the sabrent was showing there and in disk management, but nowhere else. i get a drive letter in disk management "F". there is no autoplay. no nothing  other than being told it's working.

enclosure.JPGi

SeniorGuru
Views: 249
Message 8 of 46

You keep using words, but not pictures. I don't see any earlier picture of "Sabrent example" or anything else, other than the one small shot you've posted of Windows Explorer showing C, Lenovo Recovery, and REACHit (which is part of an old obsolete Lenovo piece of software that really has nothing to do with hardware).  You don't say which one of your machines produced that single picture, or what the other machines show, or anything really helpful.

You made mention of a "dynamic disk" option on some right-click... but there's no corresponding picture.  So I don't know what DISKMGMT.MSC itself showed for that drive, which was even available for you to then right-click on that produced the "dynamic disk" option.  Certainly a picture is worth 1000 words and would be most helpful if you could provide some more.

I would like you to download/install MiniTool Partition Wizard Free (don't forget to opt-out of any offer to install "free software" like AVG anti-virus) that might be offered to you during the installation dialog), and open it up.  Please post a picture of what it shows in the lower part of the window, that presents a graphical view of your drives.  I am probably going to suggest you use it to delete whatever partition(s) it might show on that drive, and then create new one(s).  But I won't say anything until I see a picture of what it presents.  hopefully there might be something shown.

Windows won't assign a drive letter (visible in Explorer) unless it sees a properly partitioned (MBR or GPT) drive with at least one partition with a proper file system (e.g. NTFS or FAT32).  This doesn't prevent DISKMGMT.MSC or Partition Wizard from showing the physical drive, only that Windows Explorer will not have any drive letter assigned.

Where did this drive come from, that you're trying to use inside these two enclosures? Some older machine?  Did you remove it from a MAC?  Has it ever been used before, as an internal drive in some older machine of the past?

You really need to post a picture of what DISKMGMT.MSC and Partition Wizard show.  And I'm also very suspicious of some residual old contents on that drive inside the enclosure being responsible for your difficulties... not anything to do with the two enclosures themselves.

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 245
Message 9 of 46

up there where i said, did someone delete my post, i had pix. i thought maybe it got deleted because i linked to amazon which is a shopping site. anyway here they are. i ordered yet another enclosure. this time i'll screenshot everything.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZC303G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LS5NFQ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SeniorGuru
Views: 240
Message 10 of 46

Those two links showing the two different enclosures you tried were in fact present in an earlier post of yours. That wasn't what I was looking for when I asked for "pictures".

I was asking for screenshots just like the ones I posted, of your output from DISKMGMT.MSC, Partition Wizard, HWINFO64, etc.  We already know that you're not getting any Windows drive letter assigned, but that has nothing to do with what Windows or any hardware-related software is actually seeing.  No drive letter being assigned might be completely expected if the actual drive you're trying to use (which you've installed inside each of your two different enclosure and tried to use) is either not formatted or partitioned properly, or is otherwise not functioning.

You still haven't provided those screenshots (though you say you will, but I don't know why you can't do it now having nothing to do with attempting to purchase a third enclosure and hoping something different will result).  And you haven't answered my question about where you got the hard drive you're attempting to use in these enclosures, including brand/model/size of the drive.  Did it come from a MAC or was it previously in use on a Windows system?  Did you just buy it?  Have you taken my suggestion and installed Partition Wizard and just deleted everything that's currently on the drive and re-partitioned it from scratch?

And now you say you've purchased another enclosure... but haven't provide a link to show what brand/model it is.  Is it just a replacement for the two you've already tried, i.e. a second one of one or the other?  Again, I don't think it's very likely that two completely different manufacturer's external enclosures would "fail" or otherwise not operate properly with you assorted PC's. It's really much more likely that the one drive you're trying to use inside of each of the two different enclosures is the source of your problem.  So let's clarify what you're actually using as that drive, and where you got it, and has it ever been used before, etc..'

It's hard to be of more help when you haven't really provided any additional information in response to questions or requests for more details, either in words or pictures.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors