Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 148
Message 21 of 46

Re: enabling enclosures

i haven't completed the partitioning yet.

i installed pm and when i opened to partition managment i saw this. you mentioned i believe that you thought the file system might be screwed up, but this looks like the file system is still ok, yes? so i froze, and decided to take it step by slow step.

bad drive.JPG

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 164
Message 22 of 46

senor guru,,,update

i have not completed the partition. i installed PM and when i chose partition management, i saw this.....

you had mention, i think, that the file sys might be messed up, but when i saw this i froze because,,,does it show the file sys is ok? i want to take this step by slow strep

bad drive.JPG

SeniorGuru
Views: 141
Message 23 of 46

You've clipped off much of that screenshot by not expanding your Partition Wizard window first to be much larger, so that we could see everything about that Disk2.  I really need to see everything for Disk2 both in the top details view portion of the window as well as the GUI view of the drive in the bottom portion of the window.

But you're right... it does appear that there is an NTFS file system present in that 180GB partition on the "problem drive".  Furthermore, Partition Wizard also shows that 156GB of that partition is "in use" and 23GB of that partition is "unused" and free.  Actually, Partition Wizard can actually "explore" the contents of that partition (even if Windows Explorer can't or won't) since there does appear to be an intact NTFS file system still present.  Just right-click on that 180GB partition (either in the lower or upper part of the window) and then from the popup menu select the "explore" item.  Partition Wizard will present a second window with an Explorer tree in it, so that you can see and navigate through the folder/file structure.

And it does show that both partitions on Disk2 do not have Windows drive letters assigned.

Very interesting.

My guess now that you have finally presented what Partition Wizard shows, is that the problem stems from the fact that the "label" of this 180GB partition on the "problem drive" is the identical "DRIVE_C" as is also the "label" of the Windows C partition on your other Disk1 (i.e. the Samsung drive).  I believe Windows itself is "unhappy" that you have two partitions which have the very same "label". This is not allowed.

So, before deleting the two partitions on Disk2 and creating one new "data" partition (with a "label" of anything other than "Drive_C" please!), if there's actually something inside of that 180GB partition you'd like to keep rather than lose, now is your opportunity to solve the problem simply and easily:  just change the "label" on that partition to something other than "Drive_C"!

First, just right-click on that partition (either in the upper or lower part of the Partition Wizard window), and select "label" from the popup menu.  Partition Wizard will then present a small second window showing the existing "Drive_C" in the label area.  You just change that value to something else, perhaps "Data or "DriveD" or anything else. Then push OK.  This labeling operation will now be queued up as the fist operation of your "remedy" procedure.

Second, right-click on that partition again and this time select "change letter" from the popup menu. Again, Partition Wizard will present a small second window offering you the method of picking any available Windows drive letter for you to assign to this currently un-lettered partition.  Might as will pick "D" as the new drive letter to be assigned. Again, push OK. This drive letter change will now be queued up as the second operation of your "remedy" procedure.

If you're satisfied with both of these steps, you can push the APPLY button on the toolbar at the top-left of the window. Otherwise you can use UNDO to step back one operation at a time, deleting that step from the multi-step "recipe" so that you can re-create it again this time with your proper desired parameters. But if you have nothing to undo or change, proceed with the APPLY final step.

Third, now you push the "APPLY" button in the upper-left of the Partition Wizard toolbar, and confirm to Partition Wizard's "are you sure you want to proceed" message.  Partition Wizard will now (a) change the "label" from "Drive_C" to whatever you specified, and (b) will asisgn a Windows drive letter to whatever you specified.  And you're done.

If all goes according to plan, if you now open Windows Explorer I'll bet you WILL see your 180GB partition (in that external enclosure, whichever one you're now using) with a letter of D, and all of its folder/file contents fully available for you to browse and open.  That is my expectation.

Give it a shot. Please present a new screenshot from Partition Wizard after this is all done. But this time please enlarge the window first, so that we can see everything top and bottom for both of your drives.

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 111
Message 24 of 46

there's SO MANY tools in pm.

i will play around as you instructed but i think i might ultimately have to purchase it because there's a limit. i see ALL my files and i even downloaded one.

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 99
Message 25 of 46

i changed the labels...nothin. i cant see the new labeled drive. and theres an anoying icon left by pmLABEL CHANGE.JPG

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 97
Message 26 of 46

i can see all my files in pm...thousands of raw files. i tried to see if i could copy them to another drive. so i right-clicked an chose copy...then i was prompted to choose the destination, which was the #3 drive...but then it said to "select the disk and mark where i want to create a copy - at this point i'm stuck because i tried to somehow ckick on the destination disk without luck

all images here

1.create a copy.JPG2.choose where.JPG3.next step.JPG

SeniorGuru
Views: 89
Message 27 of 46

First, the product name is Partition Wizard, which we can abbreviate as PW... not PM.

Second, in your first screenshot attempt it appears that you did do the first thing I suggested, which was to change the "label" of the 180GB partition to "Broken" from its original duplicate "Drive_C".  So far, so good. Now there is no duplicate label on two separate parttiions to confuse Windows and prevent it from automatically assigning a drive letter to it (at least that's my theory).

However you didn't do the second thing I said you then needed to do, which was to "change drive letter"... to assign something, like D.  Only after you give that partition a drive letter will you ever be able to actually look into it with Windows Explorer.  So as long as it is still in the state you show in your screenshot, with an acceptable non-duplicate "label" but still without a drive letter assigned, you won't be able to actually open any of the folders/files on it using Windows Explorer.

Third, PW can "explore" a partition (regardless of whether or not it has a Windows drive letter assigned), but only as far as navigating through the folders and files present. It (a) cannot "open" any file to look inside it, and (b) cannot "copy" any folder/file to someplace else.  These are functions of Windows Explorer, Notepad, Adobe Reader, etc., but not of PW.  All PW can do is to present the Explorer Tree for the partition's file system, revealing the names of the folders and files present but not allowing you to actually open and view their contents. That's as deep as it can go.

Fourth, you are mistaken if you think that "copy" means "copy a file". It does not.  It means "copy the partition" in its entirety... from wherever it might currently be to a second location which is currently unallocated free space somewhere on this physical drive or some other physical drive.  You cannot copy a file. The function is named "copy partition", and it applies to an entire partition (e.g. your 180GB partition), not to any folders/files inside of it.

Again, if you really did want to copy an entire partition to a new location (as part of a disk maintenance process (say for example if you wanted to relocate an existing partition from one physical drive to another physical drive in order to free up space on the original physical drive so that you might expand an adjacent parttiion on the original physical drive by incorporating the freed up space to its left or right that is made available as a result of copying the subject partition to a second physical drive and then deleting it from its original location), you could do that using PW.  But you cannot copy individual folders/files... that's not one of the PW functions.

So, I believe you needed to follow my instructions, which specified TWO STEPS using PW:

(a) change the "label" on the 180GB partition to something other than "Drive_C", and

(b) change the drive letter for that partition, from its current no-letter state to something real, say "D"

You should then be able to open Windows Explorer and actually open/view the folders/files on that partition now lettered as D.

SeniorGuru
Views: 87
Message 28 of 46

@miltk2 wrote:

i can see all my files in pm...thousands of raw files. i tried to see if i could copy them to another drive. so i right-clicked an chose copy...then i was prompted to choose the destination, which was the #3 drive...but then it said to "select the disk and mark where i want to create a copy - at this point i'm stuck because i tried to somehow ckick on the destination disk without luck

As I have explained, you are misusing PW.  The "copy partition" function copies an entire partition, from its current location to some other unallocated free space (either on this same physical drive or on a second physical drive).  It is not "copy file".

Also, the "label" of that partition in these screenshots once again appears as "Drive_C".  In your previous screenshot you had changed it to "Broken" (although you neglected to also give the partition a drive letter of D, thus keeping it still unavailable to Windows Explorer). Did you put it back to "Drive_C"?? This is wrong, if that's what you did.

Again, please follow my instructions. You are new to PW and aren't reading the names of the operations you're clicking on and trying to use.  "Copy partition" is not "copy file".  PW cannot copy files.  It can only copy entire partitions to unallocated free space, in order to genuinely copy that entire partition to a new location (which would then allow you to delete the original partition from its original location, thus making its original space now "unallocated" and eligible for absorption by an adjacent partition if say you'd wanted to enlarge that adjacent partition).

Just (a) change the "label" of the 180GB partition to be something other than "Drive_C", and (b) change drive letter to D.  You should now be able to see and open/view all the folders/files of that 180GB partition through Windows Explorer.

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 77
Message 29 of 46

when i tried to change the drive letter i was given a dropdown menu of D: E: F: G: etc etc. choices

i chose D:

it's D:BROKEN

SeniorGuru
Views: 69
Message 30 of 46

@miltk2 wrote:

when i tried to change the drive letter i was given a dropdown menu of D: E: F: G: etc etc. choices

i chose D:

it's D:BROKEN

Excellent. So why aren't you jumping for joy with your new success?  I assumed you did push the "APPLY" button to complete the drive letter D assignment, which should then now make this D-partition visible in Windows Explorer.  Yes? 

Can you please post a latest screenshot, and please first expand or maximize the window so that all of your drives and partitions are clearly visible.

So, now that you have changed the partition label, and also assigned a drive letter of D, I am hoping you can also now use Windows Explorer and see the folder/file contents of that 180GB partition presented as D. And you should also be able to have full read/write access to all the folders/files on that partition.

In other words you now DO have the drive working normally in your external enclosure (and by the way, which enclosure are you now actually using and which has afforded you this success?).

Yes? Are things completely working properly now?  No issues remain?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors