Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 131
Message 31 of 46

Re: enabling enclosures

not jumping for joy. been working on thiis with no success. i chnge the drive letter, hit apply, and things look fine. i leave pw, go to explorer, cannot find the drive. i go back into pw and there's no drive letter,,,,only the new label

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 130
Message 32 of 46

when i go thru the procedure and come to the apply point, i am greeted with this screenshot. when i click "yes" it goes through some procedure, finishes, but the letter is unchanged and i have to do this all over again. if i click "no", the drive letter is changed. when i click apply it loops me through this over and over again. so i have clicked "no" and exited pw but of course the letter has not changed.

in other words "applying" keeps looping me 

xxx drive letter.JPG

SeniorGuru
Views: 124
Message 33 of 46

I've never not had PW be successful in doing anything it was supposed to do after queueing up the operations and then pushing APPLY, and replying "yes" if also offered a confirmation to proceed.

Obviously if you reply "no" then nothing will happen, and your queue of operations is simply erased.  So you clearly must reply "yes" if you want the changes you've specified to be applied.  And then it should certainly work.  Whatever letter you specified should now be in effect.

Can't explain your problem.  But I thought you were trying D as the drive letter, however your screenshot shows G. Why is that?

Let's try it another way, assuming you've already changed the label to be "Broken".  Let's use Windows DISKMGMT.MSC to assign the drive letter.  If you run DISKMGMT.MSC you should see that disk although it will probably be named "Disk1" rather than the "Disk2" as shown in PW. Not a problem.  Again, please post a screenshot of this "before" state, and please enlarge/maximize the window and spread the columns in the upper part of the window so that all of the text is visible, before then taking the screenshot.

Now right-click on the 180GB partition (which should presumably have a label of "Broken" and no drive letter assigned.  You will get a popup menu, and you should select "Change drive letter and paths" which will produce a second window. On this second window push the "Change" button, which will produce a third window.  On the third window you should click on the "change letter" dropdown list, and select any available letter... say D (presumably available?) or G if you want.  Then push OK, and OK your way back up each window.  At the end Windows should now show your selected drive letter in that 180GB partition.  Yes?

For example, here's a sample for my own drives (I picked partition I to change, theoretically, although I didn't actually go through with it).

Diskmgmt_change-letter.jpg

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 114
Message 34 of 46

when i clicked yes it looped me back. after each successive attempt, pw was giving me a different letter. first "d", which  it didn't apply,,,then "e", then "f",,,,,

SeniorGuru
Views: 110
Message 35 of 46

Why don't you re-boot the machine, to clear out anything which might currently be somehow in your Windows environment which is preventing PW from working properly.

After re-booting, please perform the "change drive letter" dialog using DISKMGMT.MSC that I described above, rather than using PW.  Of course PW should also be able to change drive letters, except that for some reason it appears to have run into some issue with your drive and its two partitions.

Note that in my opinion the fact that the drive is being used in an external enclosure has nothing to do with the fact that for some mysterious reason PW didn't actually accomplish the drive letter change (according to your description), but instead seemed to get into some kind of a loop, offering your only successively higher drive letters.  This suggests that the previously applied drive letter actually HAD BEEN installed into the Windows drive table, so that it was no longer available for use again when for some mysterious reason PW was stuck in this loop offering you the change letters.  I've never seen this ever, and don't want to doubt that you are using the program correctly, but honestly I have never seen this type of behavior.

Hence why I believe it's your old 200GB drive and its two partitions which is somehow responsible.  I'm trying to avoid your losing the contents of the two partitions because I thought that might be useful to you.  But if you have nothing important on the drive that you wish to preserve, and actually wouldn't mind simply getting the drive to be available for use as a brand new empty 186GB partition, we could simply use PW to delete both partitions (as two separate DELETE operations) and then create one brand new NTFS "data" partition covering the entire drive (as a third CREATE operation with drive letter D and any "label" you want, and then push APPLY to perform all three operations).

Again, there's something odd about your drive itself (and its two current partitions) in my opinion, having nothing to do with the fact that it lives right now in an external enclosure (which appears to be working perfectly, in my opinion).

So younow have a couple of choices. First, just re-boot the machine and re-try the "change drive letter" process, using either PW or Windows DISKMGMT.MSC.  I'd suggest re-booting again in between trying the two methods, just to be sure you're clean to start.  And either either method should now work, or perhaps both will fail.

If both fail, and you don't mind losing whatever folder/files are on these two partiitions, just use PW to delete both to put everything "unallocated", and create one new NTFS partition from that newly unallocated total free space.

==> There's nothing wrong with the enclosures.  The drive's current partition structure/contents itself is at fault, somehow, perhaps from its original use in WinXP.  That's my feeling. Vaporizing both partitions and simply starting from scratch with one brand new NTFS partition for the whole drive is "guaranteed" to work.

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 98
Message 36 of 46

i'll try the suggestions, of course. the reason i'm doing all this on a laptop is, being a cautious non computer guy i am, i prefer performing all this on a laptop that i ultimately can afford to lose if worse comes to worse. the full screen snap that i take is all the laptop allows. the reboot is the first thing i tried when pw wasn't doing what you say, including the drive letter issue.

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 80
Message 37 of 46

i could not change the drive letter thru disk management. delete was the only option i had.

seems the only thing left is to got thru each raw file to copy

SeniorGuru
Views: 78
Message 38 of 46

What do you mean "delete was the only option I had"?

I think something is seriously wrong with the drive if even DISKMGMT can't change things to assign a new drive letter to this partition.  You said previously that you were able to view (i.e. "explore") the contents of that partition using PW even though it didn't have a drive letter assigned, and that you recognized all of the folders and files on the partition.  And yet you couldn't successfully assign a drive letter with PW (which should have been 100% doable), and now you say you also can't assign a drive letter with DISKMGMT.MSC.  Something is very wrong here, that for some reason is making it impossible to assign a drive letter.  I've never had that happen before in my experience.

Are you saying that when you right-clicked on the 180GB partition whose label you'd previously changed (with PW) to "Broken", that there was no "change drive letter and paths..." item on the popup menu?  Or if that item was there that it was grayed out, and the only non-grayed item for you to select was the "delete"?  Or what?

I don't know what you are planning to do in order to copy the folder/file contents of that drive to somewhere else?  You have some technique or software product in mind to do that?  If there's no drive letter assigned you certainly can't use Windows Explorer, so what are you thinking you can do?

Of course if you just want to write off the current contents of the partition and simply do whatever it takes in order to be able to get the drive prepared properly however is necessary in order to create a brand new legitimate NTFS partition, you can do what I said was your worst case option... namely DELETE both the 6GB and 180GB partitions (using either PW or DISKMGMT.MSC), and then use PW to CREATE a new NTFS partition.  Assuming there's nothing physically damaged on the drive which is responsible for why you can't assign a drive letter to it, my guess would be that using DELETE and CREATE that you absolutely should reclaim the drive space for a brand new and usable NTFS partition with a drive letter.

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 68
Message 39 of 46

0307191346.jpg

everything else is greyed out

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 63
Message 40 of 46