Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
charmandhammer
Paper Tape
Views: 3,034
Message 1 of 8

hard drive replacement

I replaced the hard drive on my A51 8122 series thinkcentre.  I have the recovery cd's from Lenovo.  I've been through the entire disk series ... following instructions and prompts etc... and at the end it says IBM Product recovery failed to restore your system.

Ive tried this restore process several times as another post here said to run them twice - and every time I get the failed to restore result?  

I have changed the host access (bios) to normal (from disabled) as yet another post somewhere said to do that.

It seems to fail at the same time - I get through all five disks....at the end of the fifth disk the computer reboots itself.... Then a "recovering your system, this may take several minutes" message comes up with a progress bar.  It gets to about one third of the way through the progress bar and the dreaded pop up comes up saying "IBM Product Recovery failed to restore...."

Question:  I have also replaced (previously) the RAM (upgraded-aftermarket) before the hard drive went.  Do I need to put the original ram back into the computer and remove the upgraded ram? Could this be the culprit?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Terri. 

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 3,015
Message 2 of 8

Re: hard drive replacement

The new ram shouldn't affect the recovery process, there is a chance that the recovery media are faulty in itself, you should call support and request a new set of discs set to be sent to you.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
GetMe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,003
Message 3 of 8

How Many Hard Drives you have in your machine?

i had the same Issue with my maching having 2 Hard Drives. When i disconnected all exept the OS Drive it works.

Try leaving your Primary Hard Drive connectes and disconnect the rest. and Run CD Again!

charmandhammer
Paper Tape
Views: 2,995
Message 4 of 8

Actually I had to replace the hard drive - The 80 gig that came with it...died ... woke up one morning to a black screen.

So I bought another Western Digital 250 g HD. - So I only have one hard drive.

Thank you for your time...

charmandhammer
Paper Tape
Views: 2,945
Message 5 of 8

I called Lenovo and got another set of disks.... Installed them last night only to get the same error message - "recovery failed" ...

It appears all 5 disks get loaded just like before -  I get the error message as the recovery process is going... task bar gets about 1/3 and stops. Another pop up comes up with the error message....

Any clue?

charmandhammer
Paper Tape
Views: 2,826
Message 6 of 8

LEAD_org was correct. The media was faulty....  both sets of discs were faulty.... and the support on the telephone was of no help at all.  They instructed me to download the toolbox to check the hard drive... well that toolbox needs an operating system to run..... duh....that is what I am trying to install... long story short... went out and got a licensed version of xp....loaded just fine.... .so I am up and running now, trying to get me $50 bucks back for the faulty recovery discs!

thanks all.

albertz
Paper Tape
Views: 2,397
Message 7 of 8

I have a A51p and have replaced hard drive three times.  I created my recovery CD's from the desktop and had same problem.  IBM sent me new CD's and they have worked flawlessly four times in rebuilding my system.

The CDs should work every time!

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,293
Message 8 of 8

Theoretically the DVD media should work everytime, but once in a while you get a bad one for some reason unknown to you.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors