cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chamarin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,901
Message 1 of 18

is it possible to upgrade to i7 4790 on any M93p Pro SFF model ?

Hi there,

I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre M93p Pro SFF model 10A90013FR, which originally had an i5-4570.

For a CPU upgrade I bought an i7-4790, but my computer doesn't boot when I put it inside.

I know my i7 CPU is working because it works well on another Dell PC I have.

I upgraded the BIOS with the .exe file available on the Lenovo Support page.

I did a reset of the CMOS by removing the jumper and coin battery, but still it doesn't boot with the new i7.

Some stuff I found on Lenovo forums :

This thread explains that the i7 **** K CPUs aren't supported by Lenovo motherboard. Its OK since my CPU isn't a K model.

On this thread the guy wants to do the same CPU upgrade than me, but it doesn't work either... I don't know if the last advice given is working for him.

A simple question, do any model of M93p Pro SFF can support an i7-4790 CPU ?

Because my booting problem and this list makes me think that the different models of M93p SFF are only compatible with the original CPU they were sold with, which means the only CPU I could ever have on this machine is the i5-4570.

BONUS QUESTION :

The Detailed specifications for ThinkCentre M93, M93p (SFF) page is relevant for 10A8 and 10A9 models, but the supported processor list doesn't show i7-4790 :

Haswell Core i5

• Haswell i5-4670 C-0 4c LGA 3.4GHz 84W VPRO GT2
  • Haswell i5-4570 C-0 4c LGA 3.2GHz 84W VPRO GT2
  • Haswell I5-4430 C-0 4c LGA 3.0GHz 84W GT2 

Haswell Core i7

• Haswell i7-4770 C-0 4c LGA 3.4GHz 84W VPRO GT2

although some models like 10A90048US clearly support the i7-4790.

although this PDF shows the i7-4790 in the list of supported processors for M93p SFF Pro models.

Why is that ?

------

Thanks a lot for any help :-)

chamarin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,837
Message 2 of 18

Re: is it possible to upgrade to i7 4790 on any M93p Pro SFF model ?

After a reply on another thread of someone who tried the same CPU upgrade than me, I can say the CPU upgrade to i7 on M93p SFF originally sold with i5 doesn't work, unless with some dark magic or whatever...

Upgraded the BIOS, reseted CMOS with jumper and coin battery, unplugged every unecessary drives...

Still doesn't boot.

After a quick search on Internet, SFF desktops from other computer brands originally sold with i5 CPUs can upgrade to i7. Maybe this problem is specific to Lenovo's motherboard (which doesn't respect the form standart, nor the pin connector to PSU standart).

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,826
Message 3 of 18

It could be there was a revision of the motherboard so that the i7-4790 would work. 

I also recall that before the "modern" Intel core processors, when upgrading a processor in a ThinkCentre, it had to have the same stepping (sometimes called revision) as the processors that Lenovo used for it to work.  Then that problem went away, or at least it seemed to, as processors with different stepping went away.  But perhaps compatibility extends beyond stepping to the actual "S-Spec" number, there were two for the i7-4790.  Can you tell us what the S-Spec number is the lid of the processor? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
chamarin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,824
Message 4 of 18

Thank for your reply.

I checked the s-spec number on my i7 4790 : SR1QF

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,820
Message 5 of 18

Which is the production revision of that chip.  And since two of you had the same problem, I can only speculate that there was a revision of the motherboard that enabled the i7-4790 to work. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
chamarin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,816
Message 6 of 18

I don't get it...
the s-spec number of my i7 CPU is the same as the motherboard's chip production revision, but they aren't compatible ?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,813
Message 7 of 18

@BiggAl wrote:

And since two of you had the same problem, I can only speculate that there was a revision of the motherboard that enabled the i7-4790 to work. 

chamarin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,810
Message 8 of 18

non-native english speaker and non-informatician here, sorry if I am a bit slow to understand.

If I understand well, it means that in order to use my i7 4790 CPU I bought, I will have to buy another M93p SFF of a specific model (which motherboard has been revised in order to be compatible with the i7) ?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,806
Message 9 of 18

@chamarin wrote:
I will have to buy another M93p SFF of a specific model (which motherboard has been revised in order to be compatible with the i7) ?

As you indicated in your original post, the i7-4770 was an option for your specific M93p model 10A9.   While it's always desirable to go to the very best processor available when upgrading it.  The actual difference between these two processors is very small, less than 5%.

"These improvements (~4%) are marginal and practically impossible to discern in day to day use. "

chamarin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,804
Message 10 of 18

I think there is a misunderstanding.

my M93p model 10A9 originally has i5-4570.
So upgrading to an i7-4790 I bought would have been a more significant improvement.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4570/2293vs2770

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors