Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Toothdoc
Paper Tape
Views: 4,463
Message 1 of 9

m83 graphics card upgrade

Hi, I would like to upgrade the graphics card in a M83 thinkcentre.  Would a Nvidia Quadro K620 or K420 work in this machine with the existing power supply?  I will be looking at dental CT scans on this machine.

thanks

Brent

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,439
Message 2 of 9

Re: m83 graphics card upgrade

It would help to know what model of M83 (and what form factor) it is.   And what OS.    Does the CT vendor have a list of cards that will work that you can point to or cut-and-paste?  

Toothdoc
Paper Tape
Views: 4,420
Message 3 of 9

The model is a 10AL000GUS, PCI/PCIe Mini Tower.  I need a 1 gb graphics card.

SeniorGuru
Views: 4,410
Message 4 of 9

The M83 mid-tower case has 280W PSU. This is really the limiting factor in your decision.

In the low-profile low-power arena your choices are fairly limited.  They're all more than $50, but not too much more.  Both of the following low-profile low-power cards come with both full-size and low-profile brackets making them usable in any size machine case, mid-tower or SFF:

(a) Sapphire 11215-06-20G low-profile 1GB DDR5 AMD R7-250 at $101.  DVI, miniDP, microHDMI, single-slot wide.

(b) Gigabyte GV-N750OC-2GL low-profile 2GB DDR5 nVidia GTX 750ti OC at $120.  DVI, DP, 2xHDMI, dual-slot wide.

Since you have a mid-tower case you have one more full-size low-power option:

(c) EVGA 02G-P4-3753-KR full-size 2GB DDR5 nVidia GTX 750ti SC at $110. DVI, DP, HDMI, dual-slot wide.

This full-size dual-slot EVGA card is the best performer of the three, and also the "shortest" physical length.  I'd go with the EVGA for best performance. 

The Sapphire AMD card above comes with adapter dongles for the miniDP and microHDMI connectors, so you would then attach a regular full-size DP or full-size HDMI cable to go from the dongle to the monitor connector.

Also, you can always buy a 2-ended cable with the proper connector at each end for the video card or monitor you're needing to connect to each other.  A DP/miniDP connector on the card can feed DP, DVI or HDMI on the monitor. An HDMI/microHDMI connector on the card can feed HDMI or DVI on the monitor.  A DVI connector on the card can only feed DVI on the monitor.  You just need to buy the right 2-ended cable.

NOTE: I don't own an M83, but any of the above three cards should theoretically work.  I can't vouch for it personally, never having done it myself.

Also, there's a full-size dual-slot version of that Gigabyte low-profile dual-slot GTX 750ti card I mentioned above, the GV-N75TOC2-2GI, also for $120.  This full-size version has two DVI and two HDMI connectors on its dual-slot full-size bracket, but I don't think you need that type of connectivity.  The low profile card using the full-size bracket will work fine.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,376
Message 5 of 9

@Toothdoc wrote:

The model is a 10AL000GUS, PCI/PCIe Mini Tower.  I need a 1 gb graphics card.

You asked about Quadro graphics cards above.    I imagine that processing and displaying a CT image would be extremely computationally demanding, and if the CT vendor is recommending a professional graphics card like a Quadro, we need to know that before we can help with a recommendation.   If you could supply us with all the information that the CT vendor can give you regarding the graphics requirement, that would be helpful.  

Toothdoc
Paper Tape
Views: 4,347
Message 6 of 9

The operating system is windows 7 professional and the external graphics card is 512 MB or greater.

thanks

Brent

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,337
Message 7 of 9

I don't recommend using low-profile graphics cards in a system that accommodates full-height cards -- the compromises for the sake of packaging (less efficient cooler, noisier fan, less ventilation) isn't something that you need to live with.  

I do concur with this recommendation, it will give you the most performance, good connectivity options, and most longevity/viability, with the stock power supply.   

Since you have a mid-tower case you have one more full-size low-power option:

(c) EVGA 02G-P4-3753-KR full-size 2GB DDR5 nVidia GTX 750ti SC at $110. DVI, DP, HDMI, dual-slot wide.

This full-size dual-slot EVGA card is the best performer of the three, and also the "shortest" physical length.  I'd go with the EVGA for best performance. 

Toothdoc
Paper Tape
Views: 4,315
Message 8 of 9

Will the stock power supply of 280 W handle this card?

SeniorGuru
Views: 4,312
Message 9 of 9

Yes.  The EVGA GTX 750ti SC card is a low-power card and has been successfully used on other Lenovo systems that have the same 280W PSU.  For example I used it in an M93p tower system I configured for my sister.

It does not require any additional power than what the PCIe bus provides.  Works fine.

Top Kudoed Authors