cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
denovo_len
Paper Tape
Views: 941
Message 1 of 3

m93p Tiny - upgrade hard drive to an m.2 SSD using an m.2 to SATA adapter? Will it boot?

I have a 525 gb Crucial MX300 m.2 SSD drive (this one) on hand. I just purchased a ThinkCentre m93p Tiny i5-4570T. 

If possible, I'd like to replace the 2.5" HDD with the above drive, using an m.2 to 2.5" SATA adapter (such as this one or any other one).

I saw on another thread here that the Intel Q87 chipset doesn't support booting from an m.2 NVMe drive. However, this drive is not NVMe I don't think, it's just m.2. SATA. 

If I have to purchase a 2.5 SATA SSD, that's fine. Just wondering if I can use this drive I already have. 

It looks like the computer also comes with a Mini PCI-E slot - can I use this? It sounds like the WiFi adapter might be plugged into it, though. (Specifications)

Highlighted
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 925
Message 2 of 3

Re: m93p Tiny - upgrade hard drive to an m.2 SSD using an m.2 to SATA adapter? Will it boot?

The Crucial MX300 m.2 SSD is a SATA drive, so you should have no problem using the adapter.       The adapter basically just converts the M.2 SSD's SATA connections to the standard 2.5" SATA connection, and the computer will never know the difference.     Per the spec sheet you posted that model has:

• One half size mini-PCIe slot (only supports WIFI card)

So the mini-PCIe slot is not an option.

Cheers, 

denovo_len
Paper Tape
Views: 908
Message 3 of 3

Re: m93p Tiny - upgrade hard drive to an m.2 SSD using an m.2 to SATA adapter? Will it boot?

Great, thank you!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors