Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dutchg
Paper Tape
Views: 441
Message 1 of 7

video quit working?

I have an A60 that's about 3 years old. It's been sitting in the same spot all that time--this machine hasn't had any kind of physical stresses. Yesterday, out of the blue,  it just stopped outputting video to the monitor. I rebooted a few times, nothing. I connected my laptop to the monitor to make sure it was working--the monitor works fine. 

The computer doesn't sound any different than it had before. Sounds like it's running. DVD drawer opens just fine. But since I can't see anything on a monitor, I'm not sure what might be going on.

I'm no expert, but I'm not a complete novice at poking around inside a computer. I'd like to see if I can troubleshoot the video card, maybe try reseating it or something. Does that sound like a reasonable first step?  Any other troubleshooting ideas would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Dutch

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 417
Message 2 of 7

Re: video quit working?

1) what video card are you using?

2) have you tried to reset the cmos using clr cmos jumper?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
dutchg
Paper Tape
Views: 413
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for posting.

1) I'm not sure..I'll dig up that info. 

2) No, I've not tried. I'm not even sure what those are. But I'm game for giving it a try. I won't ask you educate me on the details--I'll poke around on the web, see what I can learn, and come back here a little better armed.  But one question: Are the cmos operations doable without being able to monitor? 

dutchg
Paper Tape
Views: 401
Message 4 of 7

OK, I reset the cmos jumper, to no avail. 

Another clue.. I don't think it's the video out. When I start the unit, it hums, but there is no accessing of the hard-drive, apparently. Just humming, none of the usual skittering noises, and the hard-drive light on the front panel doesn't flash at all. 

So... this is a more serious problem, yes?  Any thoughts on what I can check? 

THANKS

dutchg
Paper Tape
Views: 391
Message 5 of 7

I stepped through Lenovo troubleshooting guide. Apparently it's either the power supply, system board, or processor.  Will look into finding a new power supply first. After that, it's probably not going to be worth pursuing.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 360
Message 6 of 7

if everything opens and such, then your power supply can't be the culprit.

are you using onboard graphics or pci-express graphics card?

Also, if you take all the ram, and start the desktop without it, does it beep?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
dutchg
Paper Tape
Views: 354
Message 7 of 7

Well, things don't really open. The tower's front LED is green and the back LED is green, but the monitor remains dead, so I can't see what, if anything, is happening.  There appears to be no accessing of the hard-drive on "startup" so it's effectively dead.  The troubleshooting guide at Lenovo said it was down to those three things. For the time being, I pulled the hard drive and am copying my data to another computer.  I was thinking of trying a replacement power supply, which I think I can get for 50-60 bucks. Tomorrow, though, when I put the hard drive back in, I will pull the ram and try the start without it to see if we get a beep. 

I've been a Thinkpad fanatic for years--just bought a t410--so I was surprised by this Thinkcentre desktop failure just three years in.

I appreciate your help.

Dutch

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors