Options

13 Posts

02-03-2018

JP

28 Signins

157 Page Views

• Views: 157
  • Message 1 of 1

Black screen. Graphics driver update failed.

2019-03-14, 3:14 AM

This is a Thinkpad E540 running Windows 10. I use both the laptop screen and an external HDMI monitor.

Coming back to the desk after I started a lengthy activity, I found that the laptop screen was black. Windows device manager only detects a single "generic PnP monitor". Lenovo's driver update includes an optional graphics driver update, but it fails. When rebooting, I see nothing on the screen, not even BIOS messages.

So, this looks like a hardware failure, but is there a possibility this can be caused by a software setting? Even if this is the hardware, I wonder if I can do something about it. Does the driver update provide details about the failure? Is there a diagnostic program that checks the hardware? Are there other measures I can take?

EDIT: I ran the diagnostics utility from the Lenovo Support web site. It ignores the laptop's display as if it didn't exist. I would have expected errors, at least. The external display is recognized and checked.

EDIT2: When booting, BIOS messages are displayed on the HDMI monitor. The BIOS dialogs allow me to specify the display. There are three options: Thinkpad LCD, HDMI and VGA. Although Thinkpad LCD is selected, output invariably goes to the HDMI port.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete