Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

116 Posts

07-04-2009

Connecitcut

112 Signins

1033 Page Views

• Views: 1033
  • Message 1 of 4

Botched Repair via Warranty

2010-08-12, 5:45 AM

So I have only had my ThinkPad Edge 14 for about 4 weeks now and already am plagued with a slew of problems.

I purchased a Type 0578-26U ThinkPad Edge from Best Buy as an Open Box item, the unit--which had apparently been on display for several months (March time)--worked fine, although was without restore software. I had noticed that the system was glitchy, at times it would hang for a moment and other times the display would suddenly dim and illuminate.

Also, being one of the few ThinkPad flavors to be blessed with a backlit keyboard--unfortunately no one at Best Buy / Lenovo Customer Service / Forum Members can elaborate whether or not the luminosity of the keyboard is supposed to be as dim / low as mine is.

Basically you can't view the letters when illuminated if there is ambient light (which the MBP are clearly visible regardless of ambient lighting) and when in dark environments the brightness of the LED screen make it nearly pointless to have the backlit keys, but it is still too dim to easily read them unless you turn the LED brightness down to 1 / 15. 

It's like why put it there if you really can't tell / use it?

2 Weeks into ownership the HDD faulted and the OS would not boot 100%.

I called customer support and received my replacement HDD the VERY next day (AWESOME customer service).

Being a previous repair tech this was not difficult at all (although I'm a big fan of isolated HDD paneling (I'm lazy, there's less screws that way!)

One week into ownship of the new drive and the recovery media necessary to re-image back to factory settings the drive goes again, although this time complete failure as the drive had lost all Read / Write functionality.

I call again, and customer support suggested this to be a Motherboard issue and not a HDD issue, a prognosis I agreed with; buggy glitches, screen issues, excessively dim lit keyboard backlight, multiple HDD failures.

To my despair I cannot have my device shipped for repair, nor can I have the part sent to my residence (since it's considered too complex of a component to be in the hands of the "customer")...INSTEAD my option is to drive to my nearest ThinkPad repair center...which is about 25 miles one way.

I bring my device in, give the run down of issues (A-Z, I'm very meticulous) and about 4 days from the time I brought in the device it is alleged to have been repaired.

I get the device, of course they had no imaging software (which I suppose is understandable...for a run of the mill walk-in repair center like BestBuy or a private company...but I was under the impression they specified in Lenovo device repair)

I boot the device on my way out, hoping the keyboard might show noticeable brightness but it failed to illuminate at all. I figured this might be because it can't get beyond the POST due to no OS being on the HDD.

I go to work, come home, re-image the HDD, and still the keyboard does not illuminate!

I felt this was fishy, so I downloaded HWINFO to check my hardware out...now I'm not sure if this is a coincidence but HWINFO reads my motherboard hardware profile as a ThinkPad Edge 15 model, and NOT a 14.

Also the laptop only had a few minor cosmetic scratches on the garish glossy top, but not is has several prominent  deep scratches.

I am making the hour round-trip drive tomorrow to the repair facility to see if they can fix the issues that should have already been fixed...so rather than jump the gun I'm taking it step by step and trying to keep a cool head here.

I'm just wondering how many times I have to be turned over before I get an ultimatum? This will be the third repair I have had to have done on this computer and I really am getting tired as the Customer Service is only degrading as time goes.

I am writing this post so that I can get support / advice from the community as well as hope some Lenovo Support members have the chance to read in on this and perhaps extend a helping hand / suggestion.

Thanks for reading, best of luck to all other Thinkpad owners experiencing these problems.

Options

116 Posts

07-04-2009

Connecitcut

112 Signins

1033 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re: Botched Repair via Warranty

2010-08-18, 6:19 AM

welp...

I really did swear by Lenovo products, but it seems I'm going to just mark them down as another brand I have a vote of no confidence in.

While my Y510 runs strong (albeit outdated, noisy, and with it's recurring hinge defect), my Edge is STILL in for repair (unfortunately a device I am stuck with).

What particularly upsets me is how consumers are ACTUALLY recommended to participate in these forums...

If it's supposed to be users solving the issues, WHY WOULD THEY COME HERE?

I'm just saying, if someone is self sufficient, they would not need these forums, nor would they troubleshoot the community, nor Lenovo support for assistance.

Instead, people naively think their issues will be heard / solved by the other wayward users...and during the oft chance someone from Lenovo does step in--help is infrequent at best.

(And yes, I do know that Mark and many of the other high activity users on here do their part...but Lenovo AS A WHOLE should be investing more into customer support.)

I can really only recommend Sony / Asus / Apple in so far as machines I have never experienced prolonged difficulties with. Sorry Lenovo.

Options

2192 Posts

05-02-2008

Malaysia

14693 Signins

219550 Page Views

• Views: 219550
  • Message 3 of 4

2010-08-23, 9:45 AM

Hi Ishbar,

Thanks for your sharing and i am sorry that I do not know much about the backlit keyboard either as i do not have any extra laptop except my working laptop T61.

You also mentioned that you cannot ship the laptop out for repair. May i know why? I understand that parts/components cannot be sent to customers right away but i cannot understand why there is no mail-in service.

I hope i can give a hand here. Let me see what can be done. Do you mind to send a private message to me along with the details below?

• Full Name
  • Machine Serial Number
  • Phone Number
  • Email
  • Date of Purchase
  • Order Number
  • Case number with service centre

Thank you.

Regards,

Cleo

T410, x240

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Options

116 Posts

07-04-2009

Connecitcut

112 Signins

1033 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2010-08-27, 18:16 PM

Cleo, I have sent you a PM

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms