Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

05-26-2018

Ukraine

8 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 1 of 2

Charge algorithm problem on a ThinkPad 13 Gen1

2020-09-20, 17:10 PM

At some point charge doesn't stop anymore after reaching full charge.

Examples of current (wrong) charging:

1. When "Custom battery charge threshold" is off it charges up to 100% and it doesn't let the battery discharge below that level (sometimes it hangs at 99% for some reason, which is essentially the same).
  2. When "Custom battery charge threshold" is on with, for example, 50/80 settings, it will charge to 80% and keep the charge at this point, it doesn't let the battery to discharge to 50%.

How it worked (correctly) all these years since I bought it:

1. When "Custom battery charge threshold" was off it charged up to 100%, then let it discharge to 90% and then started charging it again.
  2. When "Custom battery charge threshold" was on (50/80) it charged up to 80%, then let it discharge below 50% and then started charging it again.

How can this be fixed?

I saw a thread where someone said that keeping battery at the top level is correct behavior, but it is NOT. 

1) Algorithm description clearly says that it will not charge until the bottom limit is reached.

2) It is especially stupid when the "Custom battery charge threshold" is off, because battery is constantly kept at 100% level.
3) The laptop bottom permanently stays hot because of this behavior

4) For years since I bought the laptop it was not working like this

5) All other laptops from different brands always allow battery to discharge below 90% after reaching 100% level.

6) Battery needs some periods if inactivity (means not charging) to cool down.

Answer
Options

434 Posts

07-08-2019

Canada

626 Signins

7618 Page Views

• Views: 7618

Re:Charge algorithm problem on a ThinkPad 13 Gen1

2020-09-28, 16:24 PM

Hi @Grossmeister 

Once the high-level threshold is reached, the charging stops and the battery is left to "float". Since there is no power taken by the system, it will very slowly self-discharge, but will show the maximum for many days after charging stopped. My ThinkPad P52 loses about 1%/week due to self-discharge, this is normal.

As for the battery continually being charged when the Custom thresholds are disabled, this is not fully true as the charger constantly reads the battery voltage and will only charge if the voltage is below a battery-safe maximum. If your battery seems to always heat up, verify you are using the right power adapter (the laptop will pull power from the battery otherwise, requiring charging) and perform a Battery gauge reset in Vantage. You should also ensure you are using the latest firmware in your device, as the charge thresholds are managed by the Embedded Controller (usually updated with the BIOS).

The default charge settings are meant to optimize runtime, not durability, as this is the default behavior from other brands. There are other reasons to use 100% as the default as well, like support requests, and marketing, but Lenovo agrees this is not "one-size-fits-all", so they provide Custom thresholds to set what fits you. BTW, for always plugged-in scenarios, the recommended setting is 40%/50%.

You can find more information here: Popular Topics: Battery, Power/Boot

If after these steps you still believe your system is mis-behaving, contact support for help, and report back here.

Martin

P.S.: I also replied to your remarks in the other thread. Let's not mix the two threads as they are addressing different elements. This thread is about your issue, not the software. The software and algorithm are what is addressed in the other thread.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

I'm a volunteer, NOT a Lenovo employee.
If I solved your issue, please click Accept as a Solution.
If my post helped, consider giving me a Thumbs Up.

Main: P52 (I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 2TB-SSD 1TB-HDD)
Also, 2x M820z, 1x P520c, 1x ideaCentre 300S-11IBR

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

434 Posts

07-08-2019

Canada

626 Signins

7618 Page Views

• Views: 7618
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Charge algorithm problem on a ThinkPad 13 Gen1

2020-09-28, 16:24 PM

Hi @Grossmeister 

Once the high-level threshold is reached, the charging stops and the battery is left to "float". Since there is no power taken by the system, it will very slowly self-discharge, but will show the maximum for many days after charging stopped. My ThinkPad P52 loses about 1%/week due to self-discharge, this is normal.

As for the battery continually being charged when the Custom thresholds are disabled, this is not fully true as the charger constantly reads the battery voltage and will only charge if the voltage is below a battery-safe maximum. If your battery seems to always heat up, verify you are using the right power adapter (the laptop will pull power from the battery otherwise, requiring charging) and perform a Battery gauge reset in Vantage. You should also ensure you are using the latest firmware in your device, as the charge thresholds are managed by the Embedded Controller (usually updated with the BIOS).

The default charge settings are meant to optimize runtime, not durability, as this is the default behavior from other brands. There are other reasons to use 100% as the default as well, like support requests, and marketing, but Lenovo agrees this is not "one-size-fits-all", so they provide Custom thresholds to set what fits you. BTW, for always plugged-in scenarios, the recommended setting is 40%/50%.

You can find more information here: Popular Topics: Battery, Power/Boot

If after these steps you still believe your system is mis-behaving, contact support for help, and report back here.

Martin

P.S.: I also replied to your remarks in the other thread. Let's not mix the two threads as they are addressing different elements. This thread is about your issue, not the software. The software and algorithm are what is addressed in the other thread.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

I'm a volunteer, NOT a Lenovo employee.
If I solved your issue, please click Accept as a Solution.
If my post helped, consider giving me a Thumbs Up.

Main: P52 (I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 2TB-SSD 1TB-HDD)
Also, 2x M820z, 1x P520c, 1x ideaCentre 300S-11IBR

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms