Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-29-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 20
  • Message 11 of 18

Re:Colors looks very inaccurate on ThinkPad E14

2021-04-29, 18:53 PM

Color Management for Lenovo ThinkPad

I have read a great deal of complaints about the 'color cast' problems with Lenovo devices with default settings as shipped by the manufacturer. I too had protracted problems with my Lenovo ThinkPad, to the point where I avoided using the laptop, which is in fact, an excellent quality machine, and pleasure to use in every way other than the default color calibration.

The 'color cast' on my machine would be described as having a distinctly 'warm' color temperature, and was very much like a monitor calibrated using a hardware colorimeter for printing and the print industry. The color temperature used in the professional print industry renders the colors on a monitor distinctly 'yellow' and 'brown' color cast. It looks unpleasant to the eye, and makes everything look brown and yellow.

I have read much advice about using Windows 10 Color Management. Using Windows Color Management to calibrate the machine's display will not correct the color cast problem.

I have spent many frustrating hours trying to figure out a solution. I think I have found one and would like to share it with those who have endured the misery inflicted upon them.

In the process of carrying out several 'resets' of the Windows 10 operating system, I noticed that during the initial reinstall (not connected to the internet during that process) an item of software was not present. After the initial reinstall process had finished, and I then connected the machine to the internet there was an brief automatic download, and a new software application appeared in the App list. The software application was called Intel Graphics Command Center.

Using the Intel Graphics Command Center to manipulate the screen display colors appears to be the solution to changing the machine's display colour temperature to something more pleasing. Instead of my photographs looking brown and yellow they now display a full range of color.

I will not go into exhaustive detail about how carry out the procedure as Lenovo machines may vary somewhat depending on the type and model of device.

If you do not already have Intel Graphics Command Center installed on your device, read this to obtain the download (The software can be obtained from Microsoft Store) On the page below, Intel also give a brief but interesting explanation why the software is not bundled as part of the Windows 10 installation:

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000055840/graphics.html

Once you have installed the software, run the software then look for “Display” on the left of of the interface, then you will see “General”, “Color” and “Information”. Click on “Color”.

Now you will be looking at a section called “Color Profiles” and there will be a default profile marked as “Active”. Leave the default active profile alone, and click on “Custom”. This will activate a new color profile and the slider controls for that new profile will also be activated.

The controls are “Brightness Enhancement”, “Contrast Enhancement”, “Hue” and “Saturation”

The factory defaults on my machine had a numerical value of “38” for “Brightness Enhancement”, “17” for “Contrast Enhancement”, “0” for “Hue” and “50” for “Saturation”.

Having activated a custom color profile I moved the “All colors” switch for “Brightness Enhancement” to the “RGB” position and adjusted the red, green and blue sliders to 25, 32 and 40 respectively.

Then for “Contrast Enhancement” I kept the switch in the “All colors” position and moved the “All colors” slider from the default “17” to “14”.

Then the“Hue” slider was moved from the default “0” to “-5”.

The slider for “Saturation” was kept at the default “50”.

By far the biggest affect to normalise the color display was the Hue setting.

When I toggle between the default color profile to the custom color profile everything on the screen changes from brown and yellow to grey and white.

The 'warm ' 'color cast' is gone.

By the way, if you are one of those people that find the screen too bright, then after you have adjusted the colour temperature the brightness can be dimmed in Start > Settings > Display > Brightness Slider (And while you are there make sure the “Night light” switch is in the off position).

Oh, and the problem of 'off whack' screen colors have nothing to do with “Eye Care” in Lenovo Vantage.

I should also point out that the above were not random changes to the settings in the Intel Graphics Command Centre. I also had photographs on the screen a the same time and could observe how the changing position of the sliders altered the colour temperature of the photographs.

I would suggest that anyone altering the color temperature of their monitor settings take a digital photograph of a group of objects in their possession and then upload the digital image or images onto the hard drive and and then views that image or images on the screen at the same time that the sliders are manipulated. When the colours in the digital image match the colours of the real world objects in front of you, then the color calibration can be considered to be 'real world' or very close to 'real world'.

Also, the required numerical values are likely to differ from those given above, as each device and model may vary in terms of how 'off whack' the default settings are that are causing everyone's negative emotional states :)

I came close to taking a bat to the laptop on more than one occasion :)

It would have been a pity to kill the laptop as it is of excellent build quality, and is otherwise a pleasure to use.

Anyway, I hope this will help reduce some of the misery out there in the 'real world' :)

Good luck.

Options

2 Posts

05-14-2021

Argentina

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 12 of 18

2021-05-14, 20:21 PM

Thanks Konsumar for your detailed answer. In my case, I also have an E14 laptop and it helps a little bit. 
But in my case, is not a matter of colors, but of screen contrast or something similar.
I was working for several year with 2 Lenovo Thinkpad laptops: X280 and T470s, and both seemed to have same FHD IPS display (same as E14 have apparently). I was very pleasant with those 2 laptops, that's why I got this E14, but in my case, display works weird. It seems like it is lack of contrast, or like image is a bit "foggy" (not sure how to explain), but aspect is not as sharp as on the other ones. If I turn on High contrast option on Windows, it's a little bit better (but with those awfull color schemes).

I need to use my laptop for ~10hs per day, but with this E14 it's painful, it's like a bit annoying to use, no matter the brightness level. Also, colors change a lot based on the screen position/inclination, this didn't happen with the other 2.

Does anyone feel the same with E14, despite of colors? I already open a support case at Lenovo.

Thanks,

Fernando

Options

4 Posts

04-29-2021

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 13 of 18

2021-05-15, 9:01 AM

There are two settings in Intel Graphics Command Center that might help with the problems of washed-out colours and contrast that you mention, one is "Contrast Enhancement" and the other is "Saturation":

For both settings navigate to Intel Graphics Command Center > Home > Display > Color Tab

It might also be worth checking out the more obvious possible causes of low contrast/low brightness by checking the position of the slider control in Settings > System > Display.

Also, for problems of intermittent and unexpected changes in contrast/brightness/saturation, it is worth checking out if setting have set to dim screen brightness during battery power use:

Navigate to Settings > System > Battery

By the way, and this will be not be of much use to you, Fernando, but I have a "Wide angle & High Density FlexView" screen on the ThinkPad and it pretty much eliminates colour and tonal variations when viewed from almost any angle. It really is a superb screen.

Good luck.

Options

2 Posts

05-14-2021

Argentina

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 14 of 18

2021-05-15, 13:37 PM

Thanks Konsumar for your help. Yeah, I guess playing around with all those settings may help, now it's better, but I was not able to have same color as the old one. It's weird than the other 2 has quite similar image (if not the same) being both Thinkpad, and this one is not. Maybe I have to get accustomed to this new image. I'll also try Linux to see how that goes.

Best,

Fernando

Options

8 Posts

11-12-2017

India

13 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 15 of 18

2021-05-16, 14:08 PM

Did your laptop ship with the Wide angle and High density flex view display or was it an aftermarket upgrade?

"From a galaxy far far away."
Options

4 Posts

04-29-2021

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 16 of 18

2021-05-18, 8:57 AM

As Rishi originally pointed out It is surprising that there is so much variation in colour and tone from display to display, and that there is no agreed international standard. Many people appear to think that colour calibration and ICC profiles will solve the issue of eliminating colour variation across devices, but of course it does not

Calibration is only suitable if a device is part of a print industry workflow – all calibrating a display will do is make every image look like John Constable's painting “The Hay Wain” - https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/john-constable-the-hay-wain#.

All images on my ThinkPad display looked like the colours in The Hay Wain until I made the necessary adjustments in the Intel Color Command Center.

The only workaround I can think of, other than the method I previously described to get a display's colour to approximate to a match to a real world colour, is to use a photographer's colour checker card to match the colours on a display to the real world lighting conditions when making images with a digital camera. But of course, this will still not resolve the issue that Rishi describes in his first post.

I agree with your point about getting used to the new colours of a new display. Having used the ThinkPad for a while, it seems far better now than any display I have previously used.

And of course, if one were involved in professional computer graphics imaging/photography/video production there is no substitute for a professional quality separate

monitor, in terms of the greater colour gamut and adjustability.

Anyway...

EDIT: I have just tried to answer Rishi's last post, but I'm getting an error message form the Lenovo system that I have exceeded a limit for new posters and it will not let me post a reply to Rishi's post so I'll tag it onto this post. In answer to your question, yes the ThinkPad did ship with the FlexView display, Rishi.

Options

1 Posts

06-22-2021

Indonesia

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 17 of 18

2021-06-22, 14:57 PM

So I also got problem in ideapadgaming 3, the red look orangeish, and i have amd cpu,is there any solution for amd? anytime im waiting

Options

1 Posts

09-11-2021

Indonesia

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 18 of 18

2021-09-11, 18:56 PM
Yes, click on windows and search amd radeon software, open, go to setting, click display and enable the custom. change the color temp to around 9500 and the saturation 138. you can experiment with it more but i find it quite accurate to me. semoga beruntung!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms