Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

10-03-2011

United States

16 Signins

129 Page Views

• Views: 129
  • Message 1 of 6

Dual monitors w/ Thinkpad Edge 15? VGA & HDMI

2011-10-03, 20:59 PM

Hi there.  I recently purchased a Thinkpad Edge 15 (7/2011).  I don't have the tech specs immediately available but I can update my post tonight if needed to answer my question.  Running Windows 7.  My laptop has both VGA and HDMI ports from the factory.  Here's a photo of what mine looks like.

Question: can I run dual monitors using these ports?  My current monitor is VGA and so I run it off my VGA port.  Assuming my next monitor has at least one of the following (VGA, HDMI, DVI), can I run dual monitors with it?  Worst case scenario, do I buy some sort of adapter?

Will I get better results using one type of monitor port over another?   

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Very much appreciated.

Thx, R

Options

2484 Posts

04-11-2011

Malaysia

1300 Signins

16673 Page Views

• Views: 16673
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Dual monitors w/ Thinkpad Edge 15? VGA & HDMI

2011-10-06, 7:50 AM
hey 5e32u,

it'll be much better if you use one type of port instead of a mixture.

as i do not have that unit, i cannot guarantee if having one monitor to VGA and one monitor to HDMI will work.

let's wait for what the other community members say about this.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Options

20 Posts

04-14-2011

Namibia

20 Signins

267 Page Views

• Views: 267
  • Message 3 of 6

2011-10-07, 15:23 PM
As far as I know you graphic controller will only allow you to use one of the connected monitors at a time. So you can run the extended desktop from the notebook's panel and one external monitor HDMI or VGA.
Options

4 Posts

10-03-2011

United States

16 Signins

129 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2011-10-10, 2:50 AM

Thanks for the input.  I'm trying to figure out how to run dual external monitors (laptop closed/stored away).  

I run dual monitors at work via some USB contraption.  Would that work?  

Thanks

Options

1 Posts

10-29-2011

India

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 5 of 6

2011-10-29, 9:54 AM

Hi

I have a similar problem. I am presently using one external monitor with VGA input with my Thinkpad edge 15. I want to connect 2nd monitor as extended monitor and close by laptop screen.

Rgds

VA

Options

4 Posts

10-03-2011

United States

16 Signins

129 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2011-10-29, 17:07 PM

Here's an update for future users who have the same desire to run dual monitors:

The video card that is installed w/ my type of Thinkpad doesn't support dual external monitors.  When Lenovo says it supports dual monitors, it means the laptop's monitor plus an external one to extend or copy.  Lesson learned.  At the time of purchase, I didn't think about this because I hadn't intended to do this.

I've been using dual external monitors with my laptops at work for 4-5 years.  It's much more productive for the way I work.  But at home, I've only used a single monitor.  After analyzing all my options -- including buying one of those USB adapters ($60-$80) and a new 20" monitor that matches the size of my existing monitor -- I decided instead to purchase one 25" monitor for $350ish and toss my old one.  It's a flawless solution in that you just plug in one HDMI cable -- done.  No messing with additional hardware.  I also utilized a KVM and this avoids any issues there.

With my approach, I can't fit two apps (i.e. Word & Outlook) side-by-side as you can with dual monitors until you get up to around 28-32".  (Well, I can but it's not the same.)  But then expect to pay around a grand for a big enough monitor to do this.  No thanks.  At that size, you NEED 2560 x 1440 resolution to make it happen.  Again, very expensive.  But a 25" monitor is eye candy compared to two side by side 20" monitors.  

Just make sure your replacement monitor supports 1920x1080.  Not all monitors do.  If not, a lower resolution monitor that's larger is just that -- you lose clarity because there aren't as many pixels per inch.  It's like blowing up a photo.  It may be bigger, but it's not the same sharpness.

Anyway, that's my story.  Good luck to the rest of you.  I'm very happy w/ my ASUS purchase.  You can buy them online or at Fry's for cheap.  I'd recommend this. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms