Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

08-24-2012

New Zealand

5 Signins

106 Page Views

• Views: 106
  • Message 51 of 115

Re: E420 motherboard problems

2012-08-24, 8:31 AM

This thread is very worrying,

I have the Thinkpad Edge E520 model which I purchased on Monday (August 20 2012) According to the Warranty it was manufactured on the 27th Of April 2012, So already i've lost out nearly 4 months of warranty period!

Already this week I can hear a strange clicking sound at the top left part of the laptop near the fan,

Can anyone tell me if this has anything to do with the motherboard?

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 52 of 115

2012-08-25, 22:09 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

18 Posts

06-02-2011

Australia

480 Signins

1049 Page Views

• Views: 1049
  • Message 53 of 115

2012-09-03, 21:11 PM

I have an E420 purchased June 2011 (so out of warranty by just a couple of months) that just died on me out of nowhere.

I was using it fine, then I put it to sleep and it never woke up... No lights, nothing.

I tried removing the battery, doing the power button 10x30sec trick and nothing. I managed to get the power led up and the DVD drive and CPU fan to spin but no activity, no screen, no POST, NOTHING!

A complete dud.

Oh and this machine was sent to have the touchpad replaced within weeks of purchase, definitely a sub-par machine for Lenovo.

This is the first laptop I've ever had dying on me of "natural causes", and being not even 18 months old it's a big worry.

Even more so considering this was my bedside laptop that hasn't being heavy used or abused, never left my bedroom, never dropped.

Suffice to say I will not be buying another Lenovo machine for personal use (we are getting 300 X1 Carbons at work) after this terrible experience as I feel like I've just thrwon $700 down the drain.

Very disappointed in Lenovo.

Options

1 Posts

09-05-2012

Cleveland OH

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 54 of 115

2012-09-05, 20:29 PM

We have 30 of these machines and just had 4 fail due to no power. motherboard failure....1 year 1 month old.  Good thing we had extended warranty.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 55 of 115

2012-09-06, 0:59 AM
@treko200, laptop motherboard don't click. The failure of motherboard mentioned in this thread is about EEPROM problem.

You probably purchased the laptop from a store or a reseller, in which case, you need to call up the aftersales and reset the warranty by emailing your tax invoice.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

4 Posts

05-05-2012

USA

5 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 56 of 115

2012-09-19, 14:42 PM

I just got off of the phone with tech support.  I have three E420's that are dead - completely.  They are one-year old and part of a group of 15 I purchased last July.  Two of them were only used between September and June, the other was used for the full year and has already had the motherboard replaced once.  This is the third call to tech support to plead for getting these fixed but, since the first call was made on August 13 and the warranty period ran out on July 27, I get no support at all.  (I might add that I have been buying ThinkPads for our school for 6 or 7 years and this is the only model that has given any problem.) I am very disappointed in Lenovo's unwillingness to support their customers with what appears to be a pervasive issue with this model.  The kicker is that I stopped purchasing the extended warranties because I had had such good luck with the ThinkPads! Has anyone found a fix for this? Is there a good reliable source for a replacement motherboard for the E420 at a resonable cost?

Options

30 Posts

06-07-2012

United States of America

88 Signins

789 Page Views

• Views: 789
  • Message 57 of 115

2012-09-19, 15:27 PM

I was hoping I would get lucky and not have any problems, but my E420 1141-BTU died last week.  Build date was 11/11. 

Repair was very quick, but I'm still worried about it failing again.  Does anyone know which FRU number is impacted by this issue, or is it only a specific subset of the motherboards for these laptops?  My laptop came back with a motherboard part of 04W0712.  It also said Used Part, so I suppose there's no way to know if this part is just another ticking time bomb.

Options

2 Posts

09-21-2012

Sea Cliff

4 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 58 of 115

2012-09-27, 5:56 AM

I am sick after reading these posts. I am an authorized Lenovo reseller and have had a disproportionate amount of problems with the Edge line compared to other ThinkPad models. As one user mentioned, the Edge model should not be called a ThinkPad - it degrades the reputation.

I have an Edge E420 with its guts all over right now on the workbench for this very problem.. 7 days out of warranty. Needless to say, I have a very unhappy client who made the switch to Lenovo from HP specifically on my recommendation. That same office had another Edge failure only a few months prior - defective hard drive 3 days out of the box.

It's become so bad that I no longer recommend the Edge line to ANY of my clients. If the client can't spring for a T series or X, etc. I actually steer them to the IdeaPad line - at least in that scenario they're getting a better multimedia setup for the money (because they sure as heck aren't getting the legendary ThinkPad reliability).

Of course the depot can do nothing for me except take a $540 deposit on repairs, which is practically the purchase price of the laptop itself. The real cost is to my reputation as an IT solutions provider to provide my clients with sound purchasing advice.

Someone a few entries back mentioned a class-action lawsuit. I'm surprised one hasn't materialized already - especially since there is clearly something wrong with the E4 and E5 series motherboards. I've got an attorney friend who makes a good living with cases like these. Maybe I should pick his brain!

I'm going to try to run this further up the Lenovo flagpole and see if I can't get some satisfaction but I don't have high hopes.

Options

2 Posts

09-21-2012

Sea Cliff

4 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 59 of 115

2012-09-27, 6:23 AM

wrote:

I just got off of the phone with tech support.  I have three E420's that are dead - completely.  They are one-year old and part of a group of 15 I purchased last July.  Two of them were only used between September and June, the other was used for the full year and has already had the motherboard replaced once.  This is the third call to tech support to plead for getting these fixed but, since the first call was made on August 13 and the warranty period ran out on July 27, I get no support at all.  (I might add that I have been buying ThinkPads for our school for 6 or 7 years and this is the only model that has given any problem.) I am very disappointed in Lenovo's unwillingness to support their customers with what appears to be a pervasive issue with this model.  The kicker is that I stopped purchasing the extended warranties because I had had such good luck with the ThinkPads! Has anyone found a fix for this? Is there a good reliable source for a replacement motherboard for the E420 at a resonable cost?

If you find a good source for replacements, please let us know!

Options

16 Posts

10-25-2012

Canada

21 Signins

237 Page Views

• Views: 237
  • Message 60 of 115

2012-10-25, 1:45 AM

I'm finding this thread as well as Lenovo and their lack of response to fix the matter absolutely horrid and unacceptable.   I was shopping for a laptop for a client of mine and the resller I use recommended the E420 as an inexpensive option.  I had actually asked to purchase a different make/model however the reseller told me to stick with Lenovo as they had a good track record when it came to reliability and warranty.  Being that I have a good relationship with the resller I trusted their adive as it is generally quite sound and based on the reseller's recommendation I made the purchase.  WHAT A MISTAKE!

Fast forward 11.5 months and I'm experienicing the same scenario as others, the laptop simply will not power on.  I called my local reseller and they said they would take care of the return to Lenovo, what a great store!  I dropped the laptop off thinking to myself, great.. this is hassle free!  WRONG!

A week later I get an email from the reseller telling me that Lenovo says the laptop is out of warranty but they will look at it IF I purchase an extended warranty.   The problem here is that when the warranty application was made, the laptop WAS WITHIN 1 year of purchase as shown by the receipt I provided when dropping the laptop off.  What kind of garbage is Lenovo trying to pull here?  I had the reseller contact Lenovo warranty again and received the same response, the laptop is out of its one year period but if I purchase the extended warranty they will check it out.  Congradulations Lenovo, you managed to stall just enough.  The laptop is now just over 1 year after being purchased.  Regardless of the outcome here, I will never buy, nor will I ever recommend a Lenovo product to one of my clients ever again.  ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC LENOVO!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms