07-26-2019

FI

37 Signins

479 Page Views

• Views: 479
  • Message 1 of 3

E495 sound card problem after Windows 2004 update

2020-10-19, 10:07 AM

I just updated to Windows 2004 and my speakers do not function anymore.

There are no errors in device manager, but sound test says there was an error.

Anybody knows a solution to this?

Options

1288 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

149 Signins

6941 Page Views

• Views: 6941
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:E495 sound card problem after Windows 2004 update

2020-10-19, 10:54 AM

Hello yurtesen1,

Windows updates have a way of messing with hardware drivers, as they sometimes tend to not be compatible with the hardware made by the laptop manufacturers, be it Dell, Asus, Lenovo etc etc.

What usually helps is denying Windows Updates from affecting hardware drivers completely. You can do this by performing the step below:

Step 1. Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update
- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.

- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.

- Click the "System Icon"

- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"

- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

Step 2. Manually Updating All Audio Drivers.

Press the Windows Key + X, or right click the Windows icon in the bottom left. Select Device Manager from the list.

Expand the following areas:  

- Audio input and output   (Realtek Audio or similar)

- Sound, video and game controllers  (Realtek Audio or similar)

- Software components (Realtek Audio Effects Component and Universal Service if listed)

- System devices (Intel Smart Sound and/or High Definition Audio Controller)

**Note: Start from top to bottom

Update them by choosing from the driver lists on your computer, make sure to choose the most recent Audio related drivers you can find:

- Right Click the devices

- Select Update Driver

- Browse my computer for drivers

- Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer

- Select the most recent Audio related driver from the list for every device then Click Next

- Close confirmation dialog.

Now, in the event this does not help the issue, it's very hard to determine where any drivers went wrong, so to completely rule out it being a software problem or not, we'll perform a rollback or use a restore point in hopes of rectifying the issue, if not then a factory reset of the device as outlined below:

Step 3. Rolling back to a previous Win 10 Version :

- Open the Windows 10 Settings Menu by clicking the gear icon in the Windows Start menu, or by pressing “Windows+I” keys.

- Click “Update & security”

- Click the “Recovery” tab on the sidebar.

- Under “Go back to the previous version of Windows 10,” click “Get started.”

- After some elapsed time after last update(10+ days), this option is often not available. Please continue below.

- There should always be a "restore point" you can choose from "System Recovery"

- Click the Windows key and type "System Recovery" and click "Recovery" in the list.  

- Select "Open System Restore" - Click "Next" and select the latest "Restore point" where the device was working.

**Note: System Restore Points will only remove Apps and Programs installed after the selected Restore Point date. It will not remove word/text files or pictures etc.

Step 4. Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update

- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.

- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.

- Click the "System Icon"  

- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"

- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

Step 5.

Windows Reset/Recovery

Perform step 4 again when entering windows, before allowing any Windows Updates to take place.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

53 Posts

07-26-2019

FI

37 Signins

479 Page Views

• Views: 479
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:E495 sound card problem after Windows 2004 update

2020-10-21, 6:30 AM

Voithos your advice is not a very good advice. Basically you are saying updates should not be installed because they may cause problems.

If I disable driver updates, then I won't get compatible drivers with new versions of Windows. So what a terrible advice. I hope nobody is following that.  The problem is NOT going to be fixed with old drivers etc. Don't you think Microsoft could have fixed this problem if it was so simple? ....

About returning to previous version of Windows. Well I would rather not do that, I expect Lenovo to provide a fix to the problem. This laptop is less than 2 years old!

It seems to be related to an incompatibility between new version of Windows and Conexant audio drivers. Lenovo must provide the fix. Other people are having this problem:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-13-E-and-Edge-series-Laptops/Will-the-E560-be-qualified-for-the-Win-10-2004-update-which-was-issued-5-months-ago/m-p/5044526

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-13-E-and-Edge-series-Laptops/Thinkpad-E550-Windows-10-2004-update-held-on-because-of-Conexant-HD-Audio-driver/m-p/5044195

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete