Sweden

122 Signins

279 Page Views

• Views: 279
  • Message 791 of 933

Re: E530 - pulsing/whiny fan @ no/low load

2013-06-05, 5:05 AM
@Techwork:
If the fan does not run, try putting the machine into sleep mode and awaken it. It often gets the fan running again.
Perhaps it might help you use the machine rather than just let it lie wasted.
Options

10 Posts

05-24-2013

Nievelheim

18 Signins

206 Page Views

• Views: 206
  • Message 792 of 933

2013-06-05, 18:35 PM

@ molle

I found your earlier approach to the problem very convincing too. I have tried the taping and it solved the pulsing, but I did not want to have tape sticking to my airvents in an new computer. Tape glue tends to dissolve under heat and then the tape does not stick any more, which is annoying and I did not spent a good deal of money for a new laptop to fix things with tape.

Obivously it is a servo-loop problem between the temperature reading sensors and the fan control rules. The fan starts pulsing, when the temperature drops to a threshold temperature, but immediatly rises again to that threshhold, when the fan spins slower, so the fan speeds up again, cooling the temp sensor down again, which makes the bios regulate the fan speed down again and so on and so on.

By taping some airvents you reduced the airflow in some areas, so that this vicious circle is broken, but also the cooling is reduced. That certainly does the trick.

But: the controlling software should allow a proper regulation too, when the thresholds are defined in temperature areas, where this effect is not kicking in immediatly, but in larger steps (which I speculate is what the lenovo engeneers implemented in BIOS 2.52, since the temperature regulation starts at 60 rather than at 50 degrees celsius), or you would have to define a certain time lag between slowing the fan down or speeding it up or you need seperate temperature thresholds for a faster and slower fan speed. And: there are more than one temp sensor in the laptop, so you could take only those in account whose readings are not that volatile, but give a more steady temperature curve.

What i am interested in: does your fan ever stop with the old BIOS 2.50? In my experience it did not, despite the taping.

Options

40 Posts

02-21-2013

Denmark

54 Signins

432 Page Views

• Views: 432
  • Message 793 of 933

2013-06-06, 20:08 PM

So, is anything going on regarding controlling the fan? Is it really supposed to speed up when it's just in idle position when my TV is streaming a movie from the laptop. I actually have to place the laptop in a different room or it makes me crazy. All you hear is this cheap piece of so called quality product blowing air like there was no tomorrow. Cold air that is! Please allow me to manually set the fan at slow speed. I'll even waive all my warranty rights.

Options

57 Posts

04-07-2011

Ukraine

359 Signins

1632 Page Views

• Views: 1632
  • Message 794 of 933

2013-06-06, 20:40 PM

What are you talking about? Guys, seriosly!

Are we making crutches for our notebooks?

We should beam our energy towards Lenovo to make them add to BIOS possibility to control our fans.

10 Posts

05-24-2013

Nievelheim

18 Signins

206 Page Views

• Message 795 of 933

2013-06-07, 14:26 PM

Seriously. I am going nuts here, trying to type a paper in a silent library while the fan blows cool air around 37 degrees celcius while having a high pitch tone still.

THE FAN DOES NOT SLOW DOWN OR STOPS WHEN THE CPU COOLS DOWN!

This issue is not solved, unmark the thread as solved immediatly! You are cheating!

Ok, so I will use the cato method now: cetero censeo...

Options

40 Posts

02-21-2013

Denmark

54 Signins

432 Page Views

• Views: 432
  • Message 796 of 933

2013-06-07, 19:53 PM

THIS PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED. IT IS BLOWING RATHER POWERFULLY EVERY FEW MINUTES - EVEN IN IDLE POSITION. NOT FIXED.

AND YES, I'M USING CAPS LOCK BECAUSE THATS HOW FRUSTRATED I AM. BEING A TECHNICIAN AT LENOVO MUST BE THE EASIEST JOB IN THE WORLD. RELEASE SOME EXPENSIVE JUNK, TAKE THE MICKEY OUT OF YOUR COSTUMERS FOR A YEAR, THEN RELEASE A SEMI FUNCTIONAL UPDATE AND SAY IT'S FIXED. IN EVERY OTHER JOB YOU'D PROBABLY GET THE SACK!

Options

10 Posts

05-24-2013

Nievelheim

18 Signins

206 Page Views

• Message 797 of 933

2013-06-08, 8:43 AM

anoher day without any responce from lenovo. On either topics concerning the fan:

THE FAN DOES NOT SLOW DOWN OR STOPS WHEN THE CPU COOLS DOWN!

This issue is not solved, unmark the thread as solved immediatly! You are cheating!

There is no way to control the fan from userspace. Read on this here:

no fan control from userspace

In the old totalitarian tradition of "divide et impera" lenovo has decided to move this topic to another thread, to make it harder for people to stumble across this problem.

Today at least I informed my next-door neighbour, who wanted to buy the E 530, that this laptop is provided with a merde, schiet, dermo, badly designed cooling system. (they actually automatically censor "strong language" here. Americans and their biased morals, always astonishing)

Here is a suggestion: we all write our experiences in the online-shops where lenovo sells this computer. If the bad news about the E530 fan is visible on amazon, maybe they will react a bit faster.

Options

4 Posts

06-09-2013

Houston

7 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 798 of 933

2013-06-09, 22:37 PM

Hi

This is my first post here, but had a couple of questions regarding this problem and the E430..

I *was* looking forward to buying the E430 somtime this month until I read this thread.  I was going to purchase through Microcenter, but saw it on Lenovo direct's refurbished or scratch and dent for a good price and same (1yr) warranty.

Is this fan problem happening in most of the laptops sold of these models?  Or is it just 'random'?

Would I know about it within the first month or two?

Does the warranty acknowledge this as a defect and will issue a refund, or a new model (hopefully one that works)?

I read about the recent 'fix', that seems like it leaves the fan on all the time?  Do you think that eventually it will be a complete fix, and if not, how bad is it to let the fan run constantly?

I'm not a computer person at all, so please excuse anything that might be obvious that I'm asking..

So dissappointing to hear about this, I've been really looking forward to a new laptop and wanted to stick with a Thinkpad.  I need to stay under $700 (refurbished is ok), so this seemed perfect..

Thank you for any help and I'm so sorry to hear you all are experiencing these issues!!

Options

15 Posts

05-04-2013

Catalonia

86 Signins

214 Page Views

• Views: 214
  • Message 799 of 933

2013-06-10, 4:51 AM
Hello PKM,

With the number of complains here and there, I would say it is general, something that happens with all E530 (at least I suffer of it with a brand new and BIOS updated one). In fact, you can find the new E531 which I suppose that replaces this one, where there are (I think) improvements about battery management... but, related to the fan, I have read complains about noise, though, as well.

A constant fan (just now, me writing) with a 38ºC temperature, IS an avoidable noise. This is what we got from Lenovo engineers to avoid oscillations in fan speed. We are asking them to let user or system programs to control fan speed like in other Thinkpad models.

Josep
Options

57 Posts

04-07-2011

Ukraine

359 Signins

1632 Page Views

• Views: 1632
  • Message 800 of 933

2013-06-10, 5:13 AM

Mark, are you reading this thread? Please, reveal yourself!

Or anybody from Lenovo stuff!

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms