6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 51 of 66

Re: E540: Fan does not stop

2015-01-19, 3:34 AM

hey friends

i'm from china, and bought e540.

an update to latest bios do solved the problem.

the update do decrased noise. And if you found your notepad is still not quiet enough, it might not because of the fan.

I took the notebook apart, and found the noise come from the HDD.

After I removed the HDD and use flash disk to boot either windows or linux, and do some test, it seems okay.

The fan started and stopped normally.

Maybe what we should check is our HDD, not fan.

Besides, the cooling system of E540 is indeed COMPLETELY a failure.

Has anyone noticed when you open the notebook, the air outlet in the back of notepad is covered by your screen?

Nearly all of the heat can only out from the left outlet, and decreased the efficency.

Meanwhile, bottom of the notepad is heated, and increasing the chances of its damage.

I AM ASHAMED FOR THIS NOTEPAD.

NEVER WILL I BUY LENOVO PRODUCTS.

Options

14 Posts

11-25-2014

Österreich

32 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 52 of 66

2015-01-19, 10:37 AM

@silvb: Regarding the HDD, for my device the noise level is just barely audible under heavy load (e.g. loading a level for gaming), with only the typical clicking noise being really perceptible. The rubber-encasement seems to do a good job for the noise level too. 

I have the 1TB Western Digital Blue Mobile WDC WD10JPVX-08JC3T5 (accordint to smartmontools). If you have the same model, maybe increased noise level is an actual defect in your case?

As for the outlet: There are plenty of devices out there (including mac book air if I'm not mistaken) that have their only outlet directed at the screen and from my personal experience (Vaio S15 with quadcore, dedicated graphics) it allows cool and quiet devices. Actually, it may even make fan noise less percetible than a side outlet.

--- Offtopic: ---

Note: One may argue against this design on the basis, that those devices usually have non-replacable batteries. The Vaio S15 in particular had a design though, where they combined this "all hot parts in the back part, fan blows at the screen" design (keeping the battery and wristrests cool) with a user-replaceable, extendable battery, so apparently that downside can be avoided if you're not aiming for "Ultrabook" certification, which prefers thinness over battery life and maintainability.  

Options

2 Posts

01-19-2015

China

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 53 of 66

2015-02-10, 14:35 PM

Reply after a long time since I renewed my notepad and made a test.

Before the test, I cleaned the laptop thoroughly, and put a recorder at a distance about 45cm from the laptop, which is reasonable distance in my daily use. And then I boot the system with HDD, recorded the sound. Then data was transfered from HDD to a new SSD, and boot the system with it after some simple fix-up(correcting boot sector, etc.), also recorded the sound. It's clear to see in softwares such as Audition that the first one is louder. Besides, from my points of view, the second one is quiet. However a test on other E540 didn't made significant differences. So maybe I need to repair this HDD.

Second test is to check if the cooling system's perfomance is affected by the top cover of laptop. First close all energy saving options, and disallow the auto-sleep when the top cover was covered. Then open Prime95 and tempature monitor, record the min/max/avg value of CPU during the test. Besides, a external display is connected via HDMI as the only monitor to make sure the heat of power supply for LCD is not included.

Every laptop is tested for 2 times to make the result more reliable. Results shows that it's about 7℃ cooler if I close the top cover of laptop. Tests on other E540 were also performed, and the same thing shows. A laptop even made this difference to more than 10 degrees.

So, maybe something really went wrong during the desion of E540?

Options

10 Posts

02-11-2015

Finland

30 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 54 of 66

2015-02-11, 10:55 AM

I'm still with the fan problem with my E540, but got

I managed to update to 2.16, some older versions did not work (booted to some sort of DOS environment).

But BIOS 2.17 bootable CD gives:

Error

The system program file was not found on the CD. Insert the correct CD in the drive.

I have downloaded the .iso from twice and burned 3 CDs/DVDs and nothing..

How did you guys updated the BIOS?

Running Linux Mint 17.1 but that should not matter here.

Options

1 Posts

02-17-2015

Germany

8 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 55 of 66

2015-02-17, 22:13 PM

Hi guys. I'm also a E540 user and have the exactly same problem with cooling fan. After leaving a game or so, the fan continues spinning, even if the temperature drops down. I've accidentaly found a workaround for this. It doesn't solve the problem completly, but with just two clicks you can stop the fan from spinning like crazy. In my case it goes as follows - right click on Desktop then left click "NVIDIA control panel". That's it! Fan returns to its quiet mode imidiately. I'm just guessing this is a software/driver problem and I'm very suprized that Lenovo still hasn't fixed it. I've also upgraded to the newest BIOS using the Lenovo System Update, but that didn't help. Try the workaround I described and let me know if it works in your case.

Options

9 Posts

12-30-2014

33 Signins

154 Page Views

• Message 56 of 66

2015-03-01, 20:33 PM

wrote:

Hi guys. I'm also a E540 user and have the exactly same problem with cooling fan. After leaving a game or so, the fan continues spinning, even if the temperature drops down. I've accidentaly found a workaround for this. It doesn't solve the problem completly, but with just two clicks you can stop the fan from spinning like crazy. In my case it goes as follows - right click on Desktop then left click "NVIDIA control panel". That's it! Fan returns to its quiet mode imidiately. I'm just guessing this is a software/driver problem and I'm very suprized that Lenovo still hasn't fixed it. I've also upgraded to the newest BIOS using the Lenovo System Update, but that didn't help. Try the workaround I described and let me know if it works in your case.

By the way the NVidia control panel trick helps me too! But it's totally ridiculous to use such a method to stop the fan from spinning.

Options

4 Posts

04-23-2015

melbourne

5 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 57 of 66

2015-04-24, 14:26 PM

latest in...i have BIOS updated version 2.18 and the issue persist, the annoying and godforsaken fan noise!!!! any updates from anyone.

Options

13 Posts

04-29-2015

GB

22 Signins

206 Page Views

• Views: 206
  • Message 58 of 66

2015-05-03, 23:04 PM
no theres no updates, nor for the E530 https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/11e-Windows-E-and-Edge-series/E530-pulsing-whiny-fan-no-low-load/td-p/797577
Options

5 Posts

08-28-2015

Hamburg, Germany

6 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 59 of 66

2015-08-28, 15:50 PM

HI,

I plan on getting the E540 and the fan issue is the only thing that concerns me right now. I plan on buying the version without the dedicated graphics card. Is the issue solved already?

Options

10 Posts

02-11-2015

Finland

30 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 60 of 66

2015-08-28, 18:19 PM
For me the problem solved with bios update. USB 3 option had to be switched off as far as I remember to make things work. But honestly I would not buy this laptop again. Touchpad is flimsy and integrated buttons useless, and anyway it easily drives the noisy fan.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete