Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

03-03-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

9 Signins

70 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 70
  • Message 1 of 2

E580 - unable to boot after joining to Azure AD

2020-08-17, 10:31 AM

Hi,

I have successfully configured a number of laptops using Azure AD in hybrid mode. I have tried to do this with an E580, but each time I have tried, I end up with an unbootable laptop.

On the first reboot after connecting to Azure AD, the Windows logo appears, then the spinning circle logo appears and stays like this indefinitely. I have tried this with multiple storage devices and the result is always the same. 

If the boot process is interrupted, it will attempt an automatic repair, but this fails. 

Resetting Windows also fails and a full reinstall of Windows is required. 

I have moved the storage device to a different model of laptop and the device will not boot on that device either. 

The command line shows there is no boot device detected and repairing from the command line using the local administrator account makes no difference to the boot issue, although you can use the command line to get Windows to detect the boot partition.

I have also tried legacy mode, changing the workgroup and device name, the BIOS has been updated, the latest version of Windows 10 Pro is in use (2004), all Windows updates have been applied and the latest NMVe and Intel device drivers have been installed.

If I reinstall windows and configure domain or local accounts, the laptop boots normally. It is only when I join the device to Azure AD that the issue reappears.

My instinct is to avoid Azure AD joins with this model of laptop, but I do have ten of them, so if anyone has experience of this issue or can shed any light on this, I would appreciate the input.

Solved! See the solution
Options

11 Posts

03-03-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

9 Signins

70 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 70
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:E580 - unable to boot after joining to Azure AD

2020-08-24, 12:57 PM

So, it appears that before joining the Azure AD, the workgroup must be WORKGROUP and the device name must not have previously been used for an on premise AD join. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms