sydney, australia

6 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 2

HM55 graphics - sufficient?

2010-08-17, 5:21 AM

Hi all!

just wondering if the integrated intel HM55 graphics (only option for australians as of now) is good enough for output to my dell monitor, which rotates to portrait orientation; 1050x1680 resolution?

also can you get full HD output via HDMI?

what are the drawbacks to the integrated graphics? what can't you do? (i don't play PC games)

Cheers!

Options

116 Posts

07-04-2009

Connecitcut

112 Signins

1033 Page Views

• Views: 1033
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: HM55 graphics - sufficient?

2010-08-18, 6:33 AM

The native output is in 720p "technically", so no it is not "full HD" regardless of being on screen or output via HDMI.

The drawbacks to integrated graphics is that they actually hinder performance, and while gaming is usually all that is associated with the GC, Aero interfaces, CaD software, and anything that involves 3D rendering (I believe PS is taxing on the graphics, but correct me if wrong). It's not always JUST the processor...which is why it baffles me to this day that any computer comes without at least a paltry 128MB of dedicated memory!

Sure, dedicated will eat a laptops battery, but I'm sure most people aren't going to hardcore game either without AC input...and switchable graphics aren't that "complex" so I see no reason for Lenovo to charge inflated prices for sub-standard hardware and system specs.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms