Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

32 Posts

02-24-2010

israel

89 Signins

273 Page Views

• Views: 273
  • Message 1 of 5

How can anyone buy e420s given the hardware issues?!?!

2011-07-27, 20:51 PM

i really wanted that model but after reading this forum i'm just too afraid to buy it. some stated they spent more time trying to get the bugs fixed than actually using it.

1. is it in all the e420s models?

2. and where is lenovo in all of this? 

Options

4445 Posts

01-22-2010

United States of America

38827 Signins

587516 Page Views

• Views: 587516
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: How can anyone buy e420s given the hardware issues?!?!

2011-07-28, 18:12 PM

Well, first of all, customers posting on help forums aren't extolling the virtues of their machines, they have problems.  You won't find anybody saying, hey, this works great!

The ratio of problems to the number of machines sold is very small.

A lot of problems stem from machines being sold with no operating systems, because customers are trying to save a buck and they have their own operating system.

The problem with that is now you have to hunt down and install your own drivers and make everything work together. You can't just pop a windows 7 dvd in there and expect everything to work. You really have to know what you're doing in order to install an operating system in a machine. 

Lenovo does fix legitimate problems, but it doesn't happen overnight.  With every new system, there's bound to be a few glitches.  This is why there's help forums, to figure out whether there's a hardware problem or whether it's a configuration problem because somebody doesn't know how to load an operating system.

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

32 Posts

02-24-2010

israel

89 Signins

273 Page Views

• Views: 273
  • Message 3 of 5

2011-07-28, 20:52 PM
Lets be more specific :

If I buy an e420e where I live where this models came from the first factory line, there is a 100% chance the touchpad actually works?
Options

4445 Posts

01-22-2010

United States of America

38827 Signins

587516 Page Views

• Views: 587516
  • Message 4 of 5

2011-07-28, 23:23 PM

I did a search for E420 and E420s touchpad and came up with 7 posts.  I googled E420 and E420s touchpad and came up with the same 7 posts.  Am I looking in the right place, because to me that doesn't sound like that many problems with touchpads?   

Granted, that isn't 100%, but that doesn't seem like enough problems to not buy one.  And the problems that I found had to do with freezing for a couple of seconds when it came out of sleep, or froze for a couple of seconds during an update. That could be a power setting within windows, but it doesn't sound like a hardware problem.  Again, am I in the wrong place looking?

Look at it this way, if it was a perfect world we wouldn't need any warranties on anything, right?  

Plus, you buy a laptop and it bounces around in a ups truck before you get it, that worries me more than anything else. I can deal with anything else, hardware or software, but I'm gritting my teeth the whole time waiting for it to arrive.  

This forum is all about solving problems and I think Lenovo does a better job than most as far as listening to customers and resolving problems.

Dave

Edit:  Sorry, I just saw the sticky at the top of the forum. I don't know why they didn't come up on a search.  They're not all like that though.  And they're not all E420s.  

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

31 Posts

06-07-2011

Santa Barbara, CA

33 Signins

480 Page Views

• Views: 480
  • Message 5 of 5

2011-08-01, 1:09 AM

The touchpad issue affects many of Lenovo's models - mine is an e520 with a faulty touchpad. A search on utranav shows 4 pages of complaints - mine included. Google "Lenovo touchpad problem" and "Lenovo ultranav problem" and I think you will be quite surprised - not all complaints are posted on Lenovo's forum.

I tried making the touchpad work by first going into safe mode - which gave me the false hope of working for a week, then different drivers - false hope again, then deleting all drivers - only to find out it is definately the hardware (just typing this message is taking 5 times too long because the cursor will suddenly jump to some random spot in the the message - then I have to delete what was just typed in the wrong place and start over - VERY frustrating.)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms