Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

31 Posts

06-07-2011

Santa Barbara, CA

33 Signins

480 Page Views

• Views: 480
  • Message 1 of 4

Microsoft Office Starter Has Expiration?

2011-07-19, 16:23 PM

Hi,

After about two months the Office Starter that came pre-installed stopped working - when I startup Word I keep getting "Downloading necessary features..." and it just hangs.

MS Tech said it was problem with Click-to-Run and I needed to install MSI version which MS site said is free but needs product key code from Office Starter.

I called Lenovo tech support - they said can't help with MS software, I need to call sales for product key.

I called Lenovo Sales and they said I need to buy full version of MS Office because Office Starter is only a 60 day trial version.

Could not find anywhere on Lenovo site that it was a limited trial version. Anyone else having this problem or confirm that it is a limited time trial version?

Options

31 Posts

06-07-2011

Santa Barbara, CA

33 Signins

480 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re: Microsoft Office Starter Has Expiration?

2011-07-19, 16:42 PM

From the Microsoft site:

Is Office Starter a trial?

Office Starter is not trial software — you can continue to use it as long as you need. When you’re ready to move up to PowerPoint, Outlook and the many rich functionalities in a full Office version, upgrading is just a few clicks away.

So let's see - MS Tech said it's problem with Click-to-Run conflicting with hardware and I need to use MSI version which requires a product key. Lenovo tech said I need to get product key from sales. Lenovo sales said I need to buy the full version.

Anyone from Lenovo care to help on this???

Options

31 Posts

06-07-2011

Santa Barbara, CA

33 Signins

480 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2011-07-19, 16:59 PM

So another call to Lenovo sales to see if another rep could help - Chardray informed me that Lenovo does not install MS Office Starter - they install a TRIAL version of Office Starter that works for 60 days or 25 opens (number of times you start the software.)

Is this mentioned on the Lenovo site somewhere?

Options

31 Posts

06-07-2011

Santa Barbara, CA

33 Signins

480 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2011-07-19, 17:10 PM

Well according to Kevin Bomba, product marketing manager in Lenovo’s Software and Peripherals Group, it is not a trial version:

Lenovo started preloading Microsoft Office Starter 2010 beginning in June of 2010. Prior to this time Lenovo PCs contained a 60 Trial of Office 2007 Professional. To determine if your Lenovo PC has Microsoft Office Starter 2010 preloaded go to the All Programs dropdown via the Microsoft Start button on the lower left hand corner of your desktop. From the Office Starter 2010 landing page you will have the option to: 1)activate your previously purchased version of Office 2010 with a product key, 2)purchase on-line the Microsoft Office 2010 version of your choice or 3) Activate the Office Starter 2010 product. The Office Starter 2010 product is not a trial but it does have limited function compared to a fully licensed version of Office 2010. 

http://www.lenovoblogs.com/lenovofiles/2010/07/13/what-you-don%E2%80%99t-know-about-office-2010/

**bleep**, this has been one frustrating experience - first the Ultranav touchpad doesn't work from day one, the "f" and "j" keys were not installed properly, then I find out about the "e" "d" "c" keys not working - and now this.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms