04-28-2010

San Francisco

2 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 1 of 4

New Edge Problems

2010-04-28, 4:37 AM

After considerable research and on-site testing/comparison I purchased the ThinkPad Edge today.  I was thrilled, I've always heard this brand was one of the best.  However, one of the things mentioned in several user reviews was the inability to get the webcam to work.  Count me among that group.  The display model at Best Buy couldn't get the webcam to work and after setting mine up, the webcam didn't work.  When I search the hard drive using webcam all I get is an empty folder.  Is there software or does this laptop have to be used with Skype?

Second, the keyboard is supposed to be backlit but mine doesn't have it.  What's up with that?

Finally, the Touchpad has lots of features but I don't want to use the scroll of magification, so I turned them off in the settings but they continue to work. 

Do I just have a defective one?  I've talked with the Geek Squad but this laptop is too new, none of them have worked on it this model.  I like the size, style and features (although I find it a bit slow so I would upgrade the RAM) but am returning it tomorrow to Best Buy to have them check it out.  The problem is they have sold out of this model so if it needs to be replaced I'll have to go with another brand/model. 

Any help will be appreciated.

Options

342 Posts

08-27-2009

TR

968 Signins

4610 Page Views

• Views: 4610
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: New Edge Problems

2010-04-29, 15:56 PM

hi,

i think u use ThinkPad EDGE 13" right ?

well , webcam works fine with Skype , i used it many times.. and in 13 inches models there s no keyboard baklit light . they put backlit light on 14 and 15 inches models.

and Intel SU7300 1.3 ghz CPU is good working CPU which i am using now .. but to pay attention this laptop is not for 3d modeling and working hard with graphics and more complicated programs .. it will be slow then.  dont expect too much with that model.

it s good to take laptop to place when u bought it to check out then u ll be relaxed , but i suggest you to install updated drivers very well .. problems maybe because of driver problems..

have a good day .

X20, X31, X40, X61, X61s, X230, T42, T60
Options

2 Posts

04-28-2010

San Francisco

2 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 3 of 4

2010-04-29, 19:14 PM

Thank you for your reply.  I had the 14" Edge with the Intel Core i3 processor with 4 gigs of RAM, so it was supposed to be pretty fast.  I had thought about using Skype with the webcam but there is software that comes with it that is supposed to run the webcam. 

I took it back to Best Buy yesterday and the Geek Squad determined it was defective.  I had reinstalled the webcam software and drivers and the Geek Squad did it, too, but it wouldn't work.  Also, the laptop was running much slower than it should have and the touchpad, even after several adjustments to the settings, was sluggish.  Even with all of this I would have taken a replacement, provided they could confirm everything was working.  Unfortunately they were sold out, these are flying off the shelve but there was another person in line behind me bringing their Edge back because of the webcam.

I went with a Vaio by Sony with the same specs except it has Win7 Premium Home instead of Professional.  It is working well and is pretty, too!  ;-)

Again, thanks for your help.

Options

14 Posts

04-17-2010

Phoenix , USA

14 Signins

199 Page Views

• Views: 199
  • Message 4 of 4

2010-05-01, 8:16 AM

Even I thought mine is without back-lit keyboard until I lear the shorcut to enable it today.

To light up your key board in dark. Press Fn + Spacebar

Thanks,

Vineet

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete