Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

10-29-2014

Slovakia

9 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 1 of 4

OEM Windows 8

2014-10-29, 7:39 AM

Hello everyone.

I have laptop Lenovo ThinkPad E540.  I bought  it without Windows 8 DVD medium. Is was pre -installed. I know that product key of Windows 8 is composed in BIOS. I found it. The problem is that I have not identical Windows 8 to install it to my laptop. With oder OS (for example Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 8 ) doesnt work. I need something like Windows 8 RTM OEM version. Recovery doesnt work becouse my HDD is faulty. Can you help me , where can i download or get that identical Windows 8 DVD? 

Thank you for all answers and I hope you will help me. Thanks ones again.

Options

9561 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78257 Signins

2252830 Page Views

• Views: 2252830
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: OEM Windows 8

2014-10-30, 8:52 AM

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

12 Posts

03-11-2016

India

8 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 3 of 4

2016-03-11, 12:42 PM

With 8/8.1, that is no longer the case.
If you buy it, and you install it, you can reinstall on whatever hardware you want. New motherboard, new PC, whatever.
If it is preinstalled, then it is tied to that original motherboard.

With 8/8.1, that is no longer the case.
If you buy it, and you install it, you can reinstall on whatever hardware you want. New motherboard, new PC, whatever.
If it is preinstalled, then it is tied to that original motherboardOptions to try before repair installing Windows 8, 8.1 or 10
Always boot to Safe Mode at least once - this often repairs corrupted file system and essential system files.
If Windows starts and runs properly only in Safe Mode, try enabling Clean Boot mode to see if some non-Microsoft software or driver is causing the problems.
If Windows is able to boot, use System File Checker and icacls.exe to repair corrupted system files.
While Windows is running, use free WhoCrashed for determining BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) causes.
Reliability Monitor might also reveal faulty drivers or software.
Use Windows Update troubleshooter if your PC is unable to apply updates, or offers them repeatedly. If your computer crashes with error 0xc000021a right after installing latest updates, you need to run disk check to fix file system problems.
In case of Windows Store apps (aka Metro UI or Modern UI apps) failing to run or update, being unstable or requiring constant repairs, clear Windows Store cache: open Start screen, type wsreset and click the result. Next, repeat the process, but right-click (or tap and hold on touch-screens) the result and choose Run as administrator.
You can also reinstall or fix Modern UI apps easily.
Use DISM (Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management) tool to fix Windows Component Store corruption as instructed in the System Image Backup in Windows 8.1 tutorial - this often resolves a multitude of problems. If DISM RestoreHealth command fails with error 0x800f081f, then the non-destructive reinstall is about the only solution available, unless you're running Windows 10 version 1511 (build 10586.36) where this is a known bug.
See the solutions to common problems in Repair your computer in Windows 8 and 8.1 and Repair your computer in Windows 10 tutorials.
Last, but not the least: install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run a full scan with it. Malware is often the root of all evil.
Non-destructive reinstallation requirements in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10

Windows must be running in normal mode (not in Safe Mode) and you must have administrative rights. Booting from installation DVD or USB will not perform the non-destructive install/in-place upgrade/repair install.

If your computer is unable to start Windows 8/8.1 or 10 normally, boot into Safe Mode and use it to enable Clean Boot mode. If Windows runs flawlessly in Clean Boot mode, then some third-party software or driver is causing the stability problems.

In case Clean Boot also fails, follow instructions in the Recover files using Puppy Linux article. After backing up your files, you must reinstall or reset Windows (instructions for Win 8/8.1 and Win 10), install drivers, apps and programs, and then copy your documents from the backup media you used earlier. This is the hard way in case Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 does not start at all.
You need Windows installation or upgrade media (DVD or USB). Manufacturers' Recovery DVD-s will not help here - they delete everything (including your personal files) and run a clean install!

If you do not have the media, you can create it as described later in this tutorial. In case of Windows 10, you might need the latest version of install media to perform the in-place upgrade / non-destructive reinstall.
Windows 8 requires at least 16 gigabytes (GB) of available disk space on system drive (drive C:) for 32-bit (x86) editions, or 20 gigabytes for 64-bit (x64) editions.
Windows 8.1 and 10 have the same requirements, but in my tests, the non-destructive reinstallation of 32-bit edition worked fine with about 12 GB of free space. So the checks are a bit more relaxed there.

You can see the Free up disk space and Remove temporary and duplicate files with CCleaner articles for guidance on gaining more disk space on your PC.

Also, temporarily moving your documents, photos, videos and other personal files to another drive significantly reduces the time required for the non-destructive reinstallation to complete.
A blank DVD or USB stick with about 4-6 gigabytes of total space. The media will be formatted and all data on it will be lost. You've been warned.
If you want to be 100% (or even more) sure that you will lose nothing important, create a full backup of your PC with free version of AOMEI Backupper before continuing. While there is very little possibility of complete and unrecoverable failure during the repair install, you might require some extra assurance.
Creating a bootable Windows 8.1 or 10 DVD or USB stick with Media Creation Tool

If your device is running Windows 8.1 and you do not have installation media, the easiest way is to use Windows Installation Media Creation Tool. This method does not require entering your device's current product key.
The only exception is Windows 8.1 with Bing: according to Microsoft, you need to contact your device manufacturer for info on how to get installation media for your edition of Windows.

Please note that this media will also not perform a non-destructive reinstallation of Windows 8.1 (Windows 10 version works fine) on a VirtualBox virtual machine (no option to keep documents, programs and settings appears). On normal desktops, laptops and tablets, the process works fine.

Those who have the media already can skip to the repair installation part.

Depending on the current version of Windows, open the Create installation media for Windows 8.1 or Download Windows 10 page at Microsoft.

For Windows 8.1, click or tap Create media.

For Windows 10, scroll down and click or touch the Download tool now button. Please note: if you have an older version of Win10 install media and the version of Windows 10 currently installed is newer, you must download and create the latest install media. To check Windows version, open Start menu, type winver and click the result.

Options

12 Posts

03-11-2016

India

8 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 4 of 4

2016-03-11, 12:51 PM

Then enter your product key. After a few seconds, the message "Your product key checks out! Press next when you're ready" should appear.
The keyboard button is meant for touch-screen/tablet users.The setup program then determines which edition the Product Key supports and gives a quick overview. Click Next if the edition is correct.
Then the tool downloads installation files. 32-bit Windows 8 and 8.1 use about 3 gigabytes of space, 64-bit ones need a bit less than 4 gigabytes.

After the process is complete, Setup checks the validity of the download and sets up a hidden installation folder on system drive (removal instructions are in the end of the guide). These two steps can take quite some time, 10 minutes or more is completely normal. You can safely keep using your computer during this.

Note the Pause button, too.
Install from the hard drive or SSD right away (click Install now).
Create a bootable DVD / USB media, or a ISO image file (click Install by creating media). This is the preferred option, because you can use the media for troubleshooting, refreshing / resetting your PC, or reinstalling Windows any time later.
Click Install later from your desktop if you do not have enough time (at least 2 hours) to complete the reinstallation right away. The shortcut named Install Windows is already present on your Desktop for such cases, double-click this to return to Setup later. The tool stores current settings and offers to continue from where you left off (no need to re-enter Product Key or download files), or to start again from the beginning.
I'll show the ISO creation process in this tutorial. Please note that this choice requires 3-4 gigabytes of additional disk space for storing the image file.
Next, select ISO file and click Save. My main reason behind not using the USB flash drive option is that the Windows Setup utility forgets to take all steps of making every USB stick bootable and some people end up with a USB media that will not boot no matter what. This means restarting the media creation process, and you'll end up creating the ISO file anyway.
Select the folder to store the ISO image file. I recommend using the Documents library.
Windows 8.1 users should note that Windows wants to save the 2-4 gigabyte file to your OneDrive by default: make sure you select some local folder or library instead!

The default file name is Windows, I suggest adding correct version number, edition and architecture to it - for example, Windows8Pro-64 or Windows 81Home-32 are easier to understand later.
Click Save.
$Windows.~BT , $Windows.~WS and Windows.old contain User Profiles, old Windows and Program Files folders, and other important items. These can be used for recovering any items that were not migrated during an upgrade from an older version of Windows (Windows 7, for example). As you performed a non-destructive reinstall, the folders are probably not that important.
ESD contains files and folders needed to create the bootable USB flash drive or DVD. This folder is available only if you actually followed the steps in the Creating bootable Windows 8 / 8.1 DVD or USB media section in the beginning of this tutorial. Those who already had Windows installation media or created a Windows 10 media, do not have this folder.
Here's a screenshot of the system drive in File Explorer. To see hidden files and folder, open View tab of Ribbon and tick the Hidden items check box.
Windows 8.1, File Explorer. Windows reinstallation leaves large folders '$WINDOWS.~BT', 'Windows.old' and 'ESD' on the system drive.

Do not rush into removing these folders manually - with the exception of ESD folder, you should remove them with Disk Cleanup utility after you've verified that Windows is running smoothly after the reinstall. The ESD folder might exist in case of Windows 10, but it is probably empty.

So, if everything is fine after several days, open File Explorer (keyboard shortcut WINDOWS KEY+E), right-click drive C: (the one that has blue Windows icon) and select Properties. Click Disk Cleanup button and wait until information is collected.
Then click Clean up system files in the bottom left of the Disk Clean-up for (C:) window.
Windows 8.1, Disk Clean-up for (C:). Click 'Clean up system files' to remove leftovers of Windows repair installation.

Disk Cleanup gathers some more data and opens the next window. Scroll down and tick Previous Windows installation(s), Temporary Windows installation files and Windows upgrade log files. You can clear all other items before clicking OK.
Windows 8.1, Disk Cleanup for (C:). Choose 'Previous Windows installation(s)' and 'Temporary Windows installation files' options. Scroll down. Windows 8.1, Disk Cleanup for (C:), part 2. Choose 'Windows upgrade log files' and click OK.

As usual, Windows confirms your decision. Click Delete Files to remove the leftovers of non-destructive reinstallation.
Windows 8.1, Disk Clean-up, Are you sure you want to permanently delete these files? Click 'Delete Files'.

The process will take several minutes to complete due to the size of data to delete.

After this, you can also delete the ESD folder in Windows 8 and 8.1. The folder might also exist in Windows 10, but it is probably empty, still safe to remove.

Please remember to label the Windows installation media you created earlier.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms