Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

01-03-2017

United States of America

5 Signins

106 Page Views

• Views: 106
  • Message 1 of 2

Synaptics Touch Jitteriness on Scrolling & Additional Oddities on Windows 10: Bandaid Fix

2017-01-03, 2:48 AM

I rarely enjoy the Synaptics Enhancements and previously only had to bear with it because it emulated certain guestures to make the previous laptops I've used bearable to operate but now Windows 10 has adaqute support for precision touchpads and will offer guestures for it baked right into the OS instead of previously relying on the Synaptics Enhacement services/programs to provide them.

Unfornately it seems like Synaptics Enhancements brings the 'Too Many Cooks' problem when it tries to handle scrolling while Windows itself is also handling the scrolling resulting in eratic 'twitching' as you scroll up and down a program, especially programs like Command Prompt or PuTTY that don't scroll fluidly (move line by line).

Initally this problem is fixed by going into 'Local Services' one way or another (Searching with the Start Menu or a link in Task Manager under 'Services'), finding 'SynTPEnh Caller Service' or by it's service name 'SynTPEnhService' and disabling it to stop Synaptics Enhancements entirely and remove the reduntency (after killing SynTPHelper.exe & SynTPEnh.exe in your preferred method). Unfornately a new problem arises after the machine resumes from Sleep or similar state that it seems to put the touchpad in a basic driver mode where guestures are limited or just don't work, but this is fixed by starting the 'SynTPEnhService' service then killing it then cleaning up the SynTPHelper.exe and SynTPEnh.exe programs it spawns to get the touchpad working normally again.

TL;DR & Unattended Auto Fixing

The way to fix the twitchy scrolling is going into 'Local Services' and setting 'SynTPEnhService' to 'Manual' then go into 'Task Scheduler' to create a new task that triggers on 'Workstation Unlock' for any user and runs a .bat file containing

@echo off
set SynService=SynTPEnhService
set SynHelper=SynTPHelper.exe
set SynEnhance=SynTPEnh.exe
net start %SynService%
timeout /t 5 /nobreak
net stop %SynService%
taskkill /im %SynHelper% /f /t
taskkill /im %SynEnhance% /f /t

You can adjust the seconds after 'timeout /t' if you are confident that your system will run the service correctly.

with 'Run whether user is logged on or not' selected and 'Do not store password.[...]' ticked the task set to run under 'SYSTEM' (prevent a command window from popping up and staying on screen and being a general obstruction while also applying the fix to everyone else who uses the machine) then save.

What should happen at this point is that every time the system unlocks (you insert a password after the machine has locked itself) is that the 'SynTPEnhService' is started and stopped then two programs are killed that the service usually spawns, thus making sure the touchpad acts in a expected manner after the system has fallen asleep.

Cravet

With that problem fixed, just be careful when scrolling during the few seconds that Synaptics is on and then turned back off because Synaptics hackily changes the default cursors on the fly as you scroll resulting in the 'scrolling' cursor to get stuck as the main pointer or other cursor states when Synaptics is turned off until you go into 'Mouse' settings (or additional settings through the UWP Settings app under 'Mouse') and set the pointer scheme back to normal.

Options

4 Posts

01-03-2017

United States of America

5 Signins

106 Page Views

• Views: 106
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Synaptics Touch Jitteriness on Scrolling & Additional Oddities on Windows 10: Bandaid Fix

2017-01-08, 20:00 PM

Don't follow the above bandaid fix.

After spending a week or so with the bandaid fix, it isn't particularly bulletproof on fixing the problem since Task Scheduler seems to not always trigger on login for some reason, but this is usually fixed by running the batch script as administrator. However unfornately, I've realized you do end up loosing the ability to use the center button for the touchpoint to, in my case, scroll so I can't switch between scrolling on the touchpad to the trackpoint if I'm scrolling a long page and flicking the mousepad up and down is not ideal.

At the moment there needs to be a driver update to at least remove the reduntant scrolling that Synaptics Touch is trying to do for the touchpad and everything would work nicely as expected.

Luckily I did figure out a solution but it feels not ideal because you have re-enable the Synaptics Touch service (which spawns the two programs) then untick 'Use a two finger drag to scroll' and 'Use a two finger pinch to zoom' in Settings > Devices > Mouse & Touchpad to let Synaptics take over scrolling while also preventing Windows from zooming since it has no other guestures to look out for.

The notable downside I can see at the moment is Microsoft RDP and probably any other program that operates like this. Microsoft RDP seems to support touchpads quite well enough to allow smooth scrolling through a connection, but with Synaptics it seems to not fully understand how to handle the input so it ends up ticking up and down as if it was a traditional mouse using it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms